Feeling gaslighted by current events/news...

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2017, 5:11 am

So so many different narratives going on, I mean I certainly maintain I identify as being liberal politically...but for f**ks sake what is going on, that is how I feel. One source says this, another says that and its hard to know what source to trust, which is bullcrap and which is just some sort of troll news with people just wanting to have a go at the public.

Does anyone else find this frusterating?

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2017, 5:49 am

Yes its bloody annoying. To be honest I think we might have to create some journalistic license to publish these articles. If we allow them to continue the effects could be devastating. Take "Muslim Statistics" a fairly well known site into account they say that 25% of all British Muslims like Isis. If we let that site continue it can create damaging perceptions.

I think it is best to watch television read CIA and FBI news and statistics and look actual bills rather than look at the internet.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2017, 6:02 am

I find that a lot or most of current event news is based on prognostication, speculation, subjectivity, interpretation, and context. I suppose if all news outlets said the same exact thing about everything, there wouldn't be a need for so many of them and they wouldn't be in competition with each other. It seems like each one needs its own unique spin to attract customers and advertisers. So how can any of them be completely trusted if this is the case?

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2017, 6:10 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
So so many different narratives going on, I mean I certainly maintain I identify as being liberal politically...but for f**ks sake what is going on, that is how I feel. One source says this, another says that and its hard to know what source to trust, which is bullcrap and which is just some sort of troll news with people just wanting to have a go at the public.

It's a lot easier if you trust nobody and trust nothing. :skull:

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2017, 9:22 am

Meistersinger wrote:
It's a lot easier if you trust nobody and trust nothing. :skull:

Truth seems to be optional these days. Actually, lies on the Internet are hardly new, it is just more blatant.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

11 Feb 2017, 1:41 pm

All news sources should be taken with a grain of salt, they are all untrustworthy and agenda driven on some level which is why you need an aggregate of difference sources. Don't put any trust in these people, they should have to demonstrate their trustworthiness and are non entitled to anything. You have to read it with that context in mind, any other way is just you being indoctrinated. Is there any bigger joke these silver spooned Chris Cuomo on CNN likened being called 'fake news' was for a journalist akin to being called the 'n-word'. My go to sites for news are Drudge and RealClearPolitics which are news aggregates with stories and articles from many different sources including those considered on the far left. RCP is funny because if you read there daily roundup of whatever there is usually some huge partisan declaration follow by one that says the complete opposite. If you only get news from Facebook, cable or network TV, or the dying newspaper industry like the NYT or Washington Post. You need lots of different sources, there are like only 5 or 6 huge corporations that control all the media in the US.

It's good to reevaluate your beliefs sometimes especially when the actions of people you thought you supported (communists/anarchists) have exposed themselves for what they really are. You have to ask what type of future do you want, I don't think anybody can say it has been trending better and it's been that way my whole life. Who have been the ones that have oppressed you? Another thing you have to start taking in the zero sum nature of government services, you might say you're a liberal now but would you stay liberal if you had to share what little money you do get with people who came to this country illegally? Old school unions opposed illegal immigration, Caeser Chavez actually led the first Minuteman militias on the border to stop illegals who were in his eyes scab workers against his UFW union.

The big money internationalists now are firmly in control of the Democratic party which is why they are abandoning their tradition bases, I don't see how anybody could support that party

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2017, 1:48 pm

That's the way politics is. There are all these contradictions so it's hard to prove who is right because they can find any source to back up their argument. People can choose to believe Trump is lying and is backpedaling and others can choose to believe other sources are lying about what he is saying and what he intends on doing and what his intentions are behind his plans.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2017, 2:39 pm

Jacoby wrote:
All news sources should be taken with a grain of salt, they are all untrustworthy and agenda driven on some level which is why you need an aggregate of difference sources. Don't put any trust in these people, they should have to demonstrate their trustworthiness and are non entitled to anything. You have to read it with that context in mind, any other way is just you being indoctrinated. Is there any bigger joke these silver spooned Chris Cuomo on CNN likened being called 'fake news' was for a journalist akin to being called the 'n-word'. My go to sites for news are Drudge and RealClearPolitics which are news aggregates with stories and articles from many different sources including those considered on the far left. RCP is funny because if you read there daily roundup of whatever there is usually some huge partisan declaration follow by one that says the complete opposite. If you only get news from Facebook, cable or network TV, or the dying newspaper industry like the NYT or Washington Post. You need lots of different sources, there are like only 5 or 6 huge corporations that control all the media in the US.

It's good to reevaluate your beliefs sometimes especially when the actions of people you thought you supported (communists/anarchists) have exposed themselves for what they really are. You have to ask what type of future do you want, I don't think anybody can say it has been trending better and it's been that way my whole life. Who have been the ones that have oppressed you? Another thing you have to start taking in the zero sum nature of government services, you might say you're a liberal now but would you stay liberal if you had to share what little money you do get with people who came to this country illegally? Old school unions opposed illegal immigration, Caeser Chavez actually led the first Minuteman militias on the border to stop illegals who were in his eyes scab workers against his UFW union.

The big money internationalists now are firmly in control of the Democratic party which is why they are abandoning their tradition bases, I don't see how anybody could support that party

Frankly, the only media sites I fully trust are the BBC World Service, Radio Canada International, the ABC (Australia Broadcasting Corporation), Deutsche Welle, and, half-heartedly, The Christian Science Monitor.)

Quite frankly, there is now no difference between the Dopeycrats (unless said dopeycrat is a basset hound :twisted: ) and the reThuglicans. That was more than evident during Sick Willie Clit-toungues presidency. He and Billery were Dopeycrats in name only. The sided with the reThuglicans more often.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2017, 3:17 pm

Politics and the media that covers it is like any other big business. It's hiding your true agenda, marketing which often means saying one thing to one group and another thing to another group.

What is different today is social media which means everybody can be a media star, it has increased the importance of micro demographics that need to be marketed to.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2017, 3:18 pm

You'll feel gaslit until you can find a viewpoint and analysis that's getting under the surface of the politics and explains why everyone's sounding crazy. Until then, if you're hanging on everyone's words and especially the words of partisans, their words won't make sense.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2017, 8:40 am

fake news and "alternative facts" are stable in politics nowadays, these practices have reached europe as well.

The first step in finding the real story is to identify what each reporting party has to gain if their version is believed.
When a certain party has nothing really to gain from the story, or might even be hurt from what they reposted themselves, they become more trustworthy, and vise-versa.

It is indeed highly annoying that it is necessary to do this, but at least over here, people are being taught how to try to recognize it (whether they choose to use that ability is another question)

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2017, 8:57 am

That's why Trump is saying it's fake news. That's also why I like that Trump tweets so there isn't a middleman to twists his words.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2017, 10:02 am

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2017, 11:21 am

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2017, 4:16 pm

You may want to consider tuning out. All this lying is so hard to understand that you may
be better off not listening to any of it and doing something more productive with your life.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2017, 4:35 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:

I don't get it. You seem like a bright person. Why not just think for yourself then none of this would matter?
it seems like you want to depend on a source to dictate what is safe for you to think, rather than determining for yourself what the truth is and means to you.