Deciphering Some women's Valentine boasting on Social Media

Page 2 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Peacesells
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2017, 11:42 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
314pe wrote:
Do you think the guy got a gift of similar value?

Of course not, I bet all my money on that.

Probably something sexual.

314pe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2017, 7:45 am

Peacesells wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
314pe wrote:
Do you think the guy got a gift of similar value?

Of course not, I bet all my money on that.

Probably something sexual.

Sexual act for money/gifts? I think there's a word for that :roll:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

02 Mar 2017, 3:09 am

I don't do gifts unless my girlfriend points out something she wants me to buy for her & the amount is never much(what most people would call much; we don't have much money sense we're both disabled) & I probably wouldn't be much more extravagant even if I could afford it. This way I don't have to worry about her expecting more next time sense it's about the same each time.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

314pe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2017, 3:32 am

Personally, it's not the value of a gift that is the main problem for me. I can afford a gift, but the whole meaning of this day. That today, in the modern age, a man is expected to give a valuable gift for a love making night. This is so sexist, but I never noticed any feminist action against this. Why?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2017, 3:40 am

Quote:
I don't do gifts unless my girlfriend points out something she wants me to buy for her & the amount is never much(what most people would call much; we don't have much money sense we're both disabled) & I probably wouldn't be much more extravagant even if I could afford it. This way I don't have to worry about her expecting more next time sense it's about the same each time.

i think that's sweet 8) and better than expecting something pricey and extravagant. i don't get such people, really.

handmade gifts really shine when you don't have the funds to buy something. most of that which i give and receive is handmade, though a nice scarf from guadalajara that i bought has been very much appreciated. :heart:

314pe wrote:
This is so sexist, but I never noticed any feminist action against this. Why?

because....why would you complain about a rule that pressures guys into giving you gifts? :lol:

pick and choose!

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2017, 3:44 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
314pe wrote:

because....why would you complain about a rule that pressures guys into giving you gifts? :lol:

pick and choose!

This is very true. Anything beneficial becomes suddenly nice and not sexist.

314pe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2017, 5:53 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
314pe wrote:

Ok, explain to me this. You're a woman who believes in gender equality (I'd like to believe most women do believe in gender equality) and you're totally ok not to buy anything back? This totally clashes with all feminist ideals.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2017, 6:32 am

^
I don't think she was justifying it, but explaining why from human nature perspective. The 'pick and choose!' indicates sarcasm on this human behavior.

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2017, 8:05 am

314pe wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
314pe wrote:

Ok, explain to me this. You're a woman who believes in gender equality (I'd like to believe most women do believe in gender equality) and you're totally ok not to buy anything back? This totally clashes with all feminist ideals.

In my own feminist view men don't have an obligation but they do have the freedom of choice. Some guys prefer to have one day to show more affection than trying to do it all the time wherwas others feel pride and love when the woman is happy.

I know I love when my partner is happy about a present. If you always focus on equal monotery value of gifts in order to try and maintain equality it leads to arguments. There have been times Ive spent stupid amounts on him and he on me, but not necessarily at the same time (I hope that makes some sense and I can't speak for the woman in op)

314pe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2017, 8:26 am

Would you feel bad if you got something expensive as a gift for a valentines day, but you didn't buy anything at all for your partner? Or would you feel good?

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2017, 9:08 am

314pe wrote:
Would you feel bad if you got something expensive as a gift for a valentines day, but you didn't buy anything at all for your partner? Or would you feel good?

Ive gotten my partner an xbox one for his birthday before and not got something of equal value back on my birthday and it doesn't bother me. I used to feel really bad about it when we first got together if it wasnt equal value(although there has never been a time i have got him nothing at all) but he got really angry at me because he said he doesnt want me to try and match him all the time are it seems ungrateful and he just wants to give me the gift without the thought of the money behind it.

314pe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2017, 9:26 am

I can't compare, because I've never received any expensive gifts and I don't expect to get any in the near future.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2017, 9:39 am

I think like ultra expensive gifts are just show off wealth stuff, especially when a bunch of women that know each other do this and make it into a sort of competition on Valentines. :roll:

I kind of look at it like how I look at people wearing branded clothing or people wearing simple t shirts for like £180 where they're paying for the show off of wealth/brand rather than the actual functionality of the thing.

I've never understood other women who never get their partner something on valentines though, that's horrible and they're probably buying into the corporate idea of "valentines is only for women to get gifts". :roll:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2017, 9:41 am

I've never gotten a Valentine from a woman.

Peacesells
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2017, 9:48 am

Lunella wrote:
the corporate idea of "valentines is only for women to get gifts". :roll:

Corporate idea? What do you mean with that?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2017, 9:50 am

Valentine's Day is big business.

I still like the romantic notion of it---but that's the fact--at least in a US context.