Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

franklin.jr
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Feb 2017, 7:14 am

Ok, sure this subject is exaggerated, but the situation which caused it is funny somehow (and somehow not).

Recently I was attending some french lessons when my teacher showed us a video of a singer named Stromae. I just started watching the video and I suddenly began talking what I could remember about Stromae: he is belgian (at that moment I corrected my teacher who just told us he was french), his father was from Rwanda and disappeared during 1994 rwandan genocide and the singer had a song named "dad where are you" (in french), he appeared at the cover of Charlie Hebdo magazine after a terrorist attack at a belgian airport, belgian people felt hurt because Charlie Hebdo joined the terrorist attack and Stromae to make fun and they fought back with another cover making fun of the terrorist attack at Charlie Hebdo itself, Stromae actually is "maestro", and it was so fun for me to discuss it although nobody followed me.

One week later, I felt I needed to explain myself to the teacher so I waited for our french class to finish and we were alone at the room. I explained her that my brain is so agitated, anything that raises my interest leads me to talk a lot of things and link it to many others, and so on. She (a psychologist with professional experience as executive, currently retired) asked me if I am AS... And I had to say yes.

Lucky me she was kind and respectful and gave me good advice. If it was years ago, I would surely be hostilized and isolated. But this is how my brain works, and I have no control over it.

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 7:22 am

Ironic that your French teacher gave you a diagnosis. This'll surely be an interesting story in the future. Keep up the good work and continue to learn a fabulous Romance language.

By the way, what is "Dad, where are you?" in French? I assume it's something like, "¿Padre, donde está?"

franklin.jr

13 Feb 2017, 7:33 am

The Unleasher wrote:
Ironic that your French teacher gave you a diagnosis. This'll surely be an interesting story in the future. Keep up the good work and continue to learn a fabulous Romance language.

By the way, what is "Dad, where are you?" in French? I assume it's something like, "¿Padre, donde está?"

Original song name is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papaoutai . I was too lazy to search for it while typing. :)

Also, my french teacher was also psychologist and professional executive but it seems she is retired.

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Feb 2017, 10:07 am

The Unleasher wrote:

Literally, "papa, où es-tu ?" (I'm a native speaker). Your sentence is in Spanish I believe... Not sure as I didn't study Spanish though. I just know a handful of words.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 6:10 pm

As your teacher she had a number of interactions with you so I would guess her suspicions were based on more than you discussing getting agitated.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 6:21 pm

MissAlgernon wrote:
The Unleasher wrote:

Literally, "papa, où es-tu ?" (I'm a native speaker). Your sentence is in Spanish I believe... Not sure as I didn't study Spanish though. I just know a handful of words.

It literally is Spanish. It's just they're both Romance languages, so I figured they'd be something similar.

franklin.jr

15 Feb 2017, 1:21 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
As your teacher she had a number of interactions with you so I would guess her suspicions were based on more than you discussing getting agitated.

It was the 2nd or 3rd time we were attending french classes... This is why I was so surprised. She barely knows me and was already able to diagnose me; she doesn't even work with diagnosis, although she was psychologist with lots of experience as business executive. Maybe my AS traits were visible enough for her to realize who I am.

But this is the kind of thing I cannot openly reveal. It's embarrassing and could even threat my life. People already tried to take advantage over me, strip my money, shame me in public meetings. But at the same time it is so hard for me to keep my mouth shut. :(