How can I stop being a boring person?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 7:52 am

I'm sick of being a boring person, i have always been this way since the end of high school. I don't drive or play sports. I don't have any girlfriends or hookups. I have never worked a real job before in my whole life. I speak with a boring voice, I'm very weak and skinny, and I don't hang out with amy people at all. I find out that I am mentally/emotionally incapable of expanding my comfort zone. I wish my life had more excitement. I find that I'm incapable or challenged with learning new subjects. I have a condition called Joubert Syndrome, and my challenge with balance and coordination is only adding to making my life more dull. I am physically incapable of pulling off a genuine smile. My body language is very stiff.

Even for an Aspie, I live a really boring life without any passion. Sorry for rambling, but I want advice on how to turn things around.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 8:13 am

I wonder if going on a Joubert Syndrome support site might help you.

burnt_orange
Toucan
Toucan

13 Feb 2017, 8:24 am

I find that I'm bored with myself too at times. That's when I decide to work on a hobby. I can read about it or even join a group. I never like the groups though.

Basically the only way to have more excitement is to be open to doing something different and accept that it could go badly, by t hope that goes well. You can start small. Take a different route to the grocery store, say hi to your neighbor, join a club at the library.

Good luck.

Aspbergeoisie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Feb 2017, 8:29 am

Hi!

I've just joined and don't really understand my diagnosis much but I'll try and help anyway!

I have always found that being "interesting" can come down to having developed a personal interest. Through doing so, you increase your knowledge and ability to speak intelligently about a subject and with a lot of interests actually have a tangible "thing" you can show someone which is always cool.

I checked your profile and in your interests you listed computers, animation and politics - those all sound super interesting to me. Why not sign up to enthusiast forums? Or start writing short essays and publishing them in a blog?

I don't know if that's a suitable solution or not, but I hope it helps a little.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 9:09 am

You're clearly not a "boring person" maybe you're just bored??? And lonely maybe? If that's the case maybe you could try a new interest?

I have spinocerebellar ataxia, which is an adult onset cerebellar disease with a slow progression. Through my travels having this I've met some other people having different cerebellar issues, some of them with things where they were visibly disabled and/or always needed assistance when they went out. Some of those people took advantage of having a cerebellar problem and were drunk all the time (you can't tell when we're drunk because cerebellar symptoms look like drunkeness). Some were real proactive with exercise and clean living and were doing way better than they should have. Some were nice, some were jerks. Just like anywhere else, it was a real mix of people. You kind of forget that everyone disabled is just a regular person when you spend too much time around healthy normal people, to be honest. I was kind of lucky that half of my family has what I have so I always knew I might have it and the transition was not that heartbreaking.

So yeah, I agree, maybe look for some Joubert Syndrome friends, or just a circle of friends where everyone is different? You kind of need people you can relax around, right?

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 4:05 pm

How do I acquire a new interest? I know one of my interests is in listening to music, but I only know of a few artist/song names. I don't actually "read" it in the same way that some people have a number one favorite song or artist.

Same with politics or philosophy. I can't "read" or understand it even though I like to discuss it sometimes. I guess it gives me no credibility to discuss it.

californiaboy9
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Feb 2017, 4:37 pm

I have the same issue to some extent. I don't think women are very much into me because I have a pessimistic attitude. I was let down by some figures in my life and I just have abandoned all hope. If you're able to hold a job; get yourself a car, and a few other things, like looking into male fashion or something, you will be happier.

JohnnyLurg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Feb 2017, 6:05 pm

Boringness is subjective and in the eye of the beholder.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2017, 10:16 am

K_Kelly wrote:
How do I acquire a new interest? I know one of my interests is in listening to music, but I only know of a few artist/song names. I don't actually "read" it in the same way that some people have a number one favorite song or artist.

Same with politics or philosophy. I can't "read" or understand it even though I like to discuss it sometimes. I guess it gives me no credibility to discuss it.

With both of these subjects, you must not have come across anything that interests you. Waaaay back when I was a young person we had things called mix tapes that people would trade around with their favorite music on it. You'd get to hear a collection of single songs of bands never played on the radio. If you liked it, you'd ask your friend to copy the whole CD for you or you'd go buy it yourself. I don't know what kids do these days.

With politics and philosophy, you could start by picking something you're interested in and looking it up online. That's pretty easy- requires no real time commitment. With both of these subjects, I recommend that you look at both (or multiple) sides of the issue. Let's say you are looking up the idea of post-modernism. I studied "post-modernist thought" in sociology in school, but there is also post-modernist art and literature and all kinds of other things. So to understand the philosophy of "post-modernism" you would have to look up several different things. If you were looking at a political issue- let's say the platform of Hillary Clinton. You should go directly to Hillary Clinton's website (I assume it's still up?) and read what she herself says, but then also read what people opposed to her policies (not her as a person, but her political views) say.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2017, 7:08 pm

I've felt the way the OP felt; I tired to do interesting things but then I seemed like I was impulsive and was labeled bipolar!

Do you like to read? If so, what about?