Preferred Weapon in Stressful Situation

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 9:44 am

I just put in a load of laundry and was adrenaline-surprised to find that I left the door open last night and it blew open at some point. I usually leave weapons around my house in places where I can reach them but my toddler can't. I realized A) I didn't have anything next to the washer, B) what was on hand in that room was not a weapon I am good with. Remedied the washer situation, but now I'm thinking I need to reorganize the weapons in my house.

Because, like, what if an intruder was a roomslength away from you, striding toward you, and you had to get out the weapon and actually use it in that time? Not what is the BEST weapon, but what can YOU use?

Me:
1) Short sword
2) Long, fixed blade knife (unsheathed, I guess?)
3) Automatic handgun

This order, embarrasingly, is because my late brother and I used to practice LARPing before it was called LARPing. We just called it "Don't tell anyone because they would laugh at us." Even the handgun prowess is largely from BB guns and yard trash. :oops:

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 11:38 am

I don't leave any kind of weapons around the house, especially not if there was a toddler around, 8O

But things are a bit less...dangerous where I live. Apparently just my locking the door before leaving the apartment is being really paranoid. I thought it was just common sense, but that's not so common anymore.

dtoxic2
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Feb 2017, 1:54 pm

I would consider adjusting your attention to whether doors are closed and locked before adjusting your weaponry.
I favor wits and alertness, but a short sharp knife remains handy. I was not trained in knife fighting, but assumed that the best stance confronting an attacker was to keep the knife hand close to your waist, and your other arm extended to feint, grab, or defend until the knife thrust was called for. I later read a manual on the subject that vindicated my instinct.

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 3:09 pm

an internal style of chinese and japanese inspired martial art with a focus on psychology, infighting, pressure points, seizure and control. just about everything, aside from a firearm, is an illegal weapon for use in self defense in the state of california... and firearms don't have a "just hurt them a little so they go away" setting; where as preference is just that, to get an adversary to leave out of fear without permanent injury and be given chance to change their path, not to end their walk.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 3:36 pm

Surveillance cameras around the exterior of the home and a security system. No risk of anyone getting hurt including your child (just look up how many children die in the US each year from accidents from guns found in the home). Criminals don't like to commit crimes on camera. Zero risk of exposure to the justice system. Protects your home even if you aren't home. About the same cost as a gun or even cheaper. Doesn't require that you know a would be intruder is coming.

Unless you live out in the countryside resulting in an extraordinary 911 response time or unless you live in some part of Detroit where emergency services are so broke they may not even respond at all, weapons aren't a good option to keep you safe. Remember real life isn't like Hollywood movies and just because you think that a weapon is going to protect you, it may just end up being a liability to your children or used against you in a fight.

Remember even if you act in self defence and are innocent, you expose yourself to the justice system(lawyer, huge financial cost/liability, possibly jail or worse). Everyone who is exposed to the justice system, guilty or innocent is going to lose out in some way.

Private Idaho
Toucan
Toucan

13 Feb 2017, 4:35 pm

I have a 12 gauge pump Mossberg and some buckshot in the closet. My dad gave it to me when I was 14 for hunting so I keep it for sentimental reasons more than anything else. Haven't been deer hunting in 30 years.

I live in a safe apartment complex so I don't worry much about intruders. Forget to lock the front door all the time.

I always say if someone wants to steal my stuff, please do so when I'm not home and take all of it.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 9:11 pm

As someone living in a UK town with a high number of annual stabbings but personally lacking close combat abilities, I would probably throw something at an intruder, (anything heavier than a pair of socks will do), loudly dictate I am calling the police, and leg it for a phone.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 10:02 pm

A Jorgsen rifle.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 11:29 pm

crystaltermination wrote:
I would probably throw something at an intruder, (anything heavier than a pair of socks will do)

A sock makes a surprisingly effective weapon if filled with a couple handfuls of gravel and swung at the intruder's head.
I do not advocate violence, however.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 11:59 pm

I can’t install cameras in a rental and the wireless ones don’t seem to work well… I don’t need an alarm system or extra expense (I do have signs/stickers up)... My concern has never been at home and only outside. Invest in a dashcam for your car and Bluetooth, so you can call 911 hands-free (hopefully lethal weapons will be a last resort). Road rage is a common problem in Florida.

At home, double check doors and windows… You can reinforce doors, longer stainless steel screws in both hinges and strike plates will go a long way.

PS: Firearms is my “special” interest, I enjoy them for collection and sporting purposes... So yes, I two keep weapons around the house. Both semi-auto rifles and handguns.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2017, 8:25 am

I HAD an axe... But we lost it. :( And not exactly I WOULD use though.
I could borrow that electric baton with a flashlight my mom has. :lol: But that's her's.

Anything really. I could improvise with anything. In my city, people had to be prepared for intruders. My mom's the current Peace and Order officer of my village, and she encourages me with these things.

But if I have to choose, I prefer a baton no longer than my own arm length, which is at least lighter and thinner than a bat.
Or my own body if I could risk it.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2017, 1:23 pm

Unless you count our kitchen knives, there are no weapons in our home.

Quote:
Apparently just my locking the door before leaving the apartment is being really paranoid. I thought it was just common sense, but that's not so common anymore.
It is def common sense. At times I even lock my door when I go down to the mailbox. I always make sure that the door and veranda door are locked.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

05 Mar 2017, 5:03 am

Raleigh wrote:
crystaltermination wrote:
I would probably throw something at an intruder, (anything heavier than a pair of socks will do)

A sock makes a surprisingly effective weapon if filled with a couple handfuls of gravel and swung at the intruder's head.
I do not advocate violence, however.
Sam on iCarly & Sam & Cat used a sock filled with butter & was quite effective at using it.

The only weapons I have are a lot of knives. I have a collection.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2017, 5:16 am

^ you'd have to keep that sock in the fridge. :lol: