Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 5:08 pm

For some reason I never got into Stefan Molyneux but I like how these guys bring out the best in each other for most of this interview (I say that because it sounds like a section got cut out where they had a spiral on a particular topic - I really hope they post it because I'm sure it was something worth hearing).

They touch on a lot of great topics and you get to see where Jordan Peterson's take on Jung, Nietze, Piaget, and Christianity works particularly well:

The Architecture of Belief | Jordan Peterson and Stefan Molyneux

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2017, 3:21 pm

That was a really interesting conversation.

This is a much better introduction to Peterson than the Sam Harris video. I think Sam Harris would have some interesting things to say about some of this stuff, if he could get past the framework problem.

I am inspired to listen to the whole Maps of Meaning series.

Once again, I thank you for posting some of the most interesting stuff here.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2017, 5:28 pm

He's actually I think in some ways exposing some inherent challenges to the way Sam Harris thinks.

This link below was Sam Harris taking to task Peterson's take on Jung and evolution:
https://www.samharris.org/blog/item/spe ... .-peterson

When I read what he's saying about our clear failure as a culture to put alpha absolutely at the top or the idea that a diseased hyper-reproductive breed of insects could drive us to extinction, be superior to us in terms of making us go extinct, and yet barely have two neurons to jam together with respect to contemplating the night sky or moral ethics - in a way it reads like a reducto ad absurdum of Peterson's views. Is it unfair? On one level he's right at least about some things but it also shows me at least that they both have a lot more to unpack in their views and they both have flaws to expose in the other's philosophy.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin