Apies percieved as deceitful (more to the point this time)

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Simon01
Raven
Raven

17 Feb 2017, 1:15 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I was once arrested because someone thought I took a video tape. It was so humiliating and I was afraid to go to school on Monday because some kids saw me at the back of the police car and I knew they were going to tell others and word spreads easily because it's a small town and people just love to talk about others. To this day I am not sure what I did wrong to make the store owner think I took something but I didn't go in that store for months. But that only happened once so maybe he was just an idiot because no one else has ever thought I was shop lifting or taking something. I have had cashiers look at me while I looked but I figure they do that to everyone and that was only in small stores.

I'm wondering if the owner was covering for someone or perhaps covering up a mistake he had made.

I get weird looks from people in stores sometimes but I always figured it was because of my wheelchair, either they're not sure if I need help or they're looking to see if I knock something over.

Simon01
Raven
Raven

17 Feb 2017, 1:19 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Lack of eye contact is seen by most people as trying to hide something.

The interesting thing for me is that I know I have eye contact problems but it's one of those things that most people don't notice or make a big deal about, but when I've had someone point that out as proof of lying, I honestly feel like they've watched too many police shows rather than basing their feeling on reality. Usually it's me glancing away from them but looking at them most of the time, and that minor glancing away gets pointed out as their proof.

Simon01
Raven
Raven

17 Feb 2017, 1:27 pm

burnt_orange wrote:
I find that some people do not trust me while others who know me better trust me 200%. The medical profession tends to not believe me. During my pregnancy I had a lot of problems with this. They thought I was a drug addict or something and treated me terribly, even though they did blood work and I was clean. I was depressed and withdrawn at the time. You'd think someone like this could tell the difference. I still hate them for this.

I have experienced funny looks in stores or at the self check out. No, I don't want to chit chat with you. If I wanted to talk to someone I would have went through the regular register.

I'm always looked at kind of funny. I must project weirdness. I generally think it's their problem but sometimes get angry because I am innocent.

I feel that this is a kind of discrimination.

I can relate to having people either trust me completely without question or decide from the start I can't be trusted. Never made sense to me.

I've had credibility problems surrounding my medical problems because some health care people simply refuse to accept that someone might be knowledgeable about their own condition. And being too well adjusted sometimes is a problem for some people- I get the impression that some people see someone in a wheelchair and expect their story to fit the "stock story" or stereotypical narrative, and not accepting that person's actual story, if that makes sense.

I too wonder if I project weirdness. Most of the time, I'm out and about and everything goes well, but from time to time, I get either weird looks from some people, or I'm chatting with someone and notice they're acting strange, as if the small talk is making them uncomfortable. I have to think though, how much of that is an aspie problem vs. some people trying too hard to find bad behavior, and seeing things that aren't there.

Simon01
Raven
Raven

17 Feb 2017, 1:29 pm

racheypie666 wrote:
One of my friends said this to me when I was about 12-13.
You're always lying, your such a liar
I wasn't saying anything outlandish, or anything I would lie about. It seemed such a strange thing to say.

Maybe eye contact/body language being "off" is why she said it?

What gets me is when someone knows you to be honest, but chooses to accept the body language and eye contact not being "correct" as proof you're lying.

Simon01
Raven
Raven

17 Feb 2017, 2:08 pm

BetwixtBetween wrote:
Let's look at some educational materials online:
http://www.corrections.com/articles/219 ... r-analysis
http://www.webmd.com/balance/features/1 ... tch-liar#1

1. We don't respond in a NT way. We may very well run away from the sound of a gunshot without looking back.
2. Stimming could easily be mistaken as grooming.
3. Our eye contact is bad. Too much or too little sets of alarm bells for a lot of people.
4. Voice modulation- tone, speed, and volume can fluctuate (a lot with some of us) during the course of a conversation.
5. We may give too much detail or too little. Both are indicators.
6. Those of us who have been trying with varying levels of success to pass for "normal" our entire lives may come across as fake or evasive to those first meeting us. We also tend to come across as nervous.
7. Our body language sometimes flat out doesn't match what we say.

Add to that our tendency to wear sunglasses in what others don't perceive as bright light, headphones which we don't like to take off, unusual clothing (especially baggy which may be used to hide things), and so forth, and it's really not surprising we get questioned more than others.

I hate to admit it, but I can relate to at least some of this. Talking too much or too little, eye contact being off sometimes, talking too fast, and gestures sometimes not matching what's being said. Never accused of hiding things via loose clothing, but I do wear sunglasses a bit more than most people and always have my headset on unless I'm actually with people I'm talking to vs. just wheeling around someplace or on the bus. I've never gotten into trouble for "faking" normal, but sometimes it's picked up on that I'm ill at ease in a situation despite initial appearance of being calm, when actually it's because I am overloaded but I'm trying to process and remain calm.

I do suspect that some NTs take advantage and know how aspies might react to certain situations in order to push a false accusation, such as repeating accusatory questions after getting an answer or adding exaggerated or made up "charges" to the original accusation. Accused gets frustrated and overloaded by the questions because they don't understand why the accuser is after them in the first place, which gets interpreted as proof of guilt. Sometimes one's odd but harmless past behavior is used to illustrate supposed guilt.