Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2017, 9:44 pm

I just read a post about finding patterns and was wondering if someone could explain the autism trait of pattern finding a little better to me and if I have it.

What defines a pattern?

I think I notice alot of things which I put down to coincidences but read others find them as patterns.

Are the following considered patterns.

Noticing numbers on digital clocks like 2:22 , 11:11 , 12:34 etc
Finding faces , animals or shapes in inanimate objects like clouds , the grains and knots in wood , carpets etc
Seeing words in number/license plates eg. BD51 ASD . Most number plates I see tell a story e.g. AB05 CDE ( A Boy aged 05 Couldn't Drink Eggnog ).
Looking at non famous people and comparing their likeness to famous people Or seeing famous people and comparing their likeness to someone you know.
Noticing when patterns breakdown e.g. when symeterical things are not quite symeterical , or something interupts a pattern etc
Thats all I can think of for now.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Feb 2017, 4:04 am

SaveFerris wrote:
I just read a post about finding patterns and was wondering if someone could explain the autism trait of pattern finding a little better to me and if I have it.

What defines a pattern?

I think I notice alot of things which I put down to coincidences but read others find them as patterns.

Are the following considered patterns.

Noticing numbers on digital clocks like 2:22 , 11:11 , 12:34 etc

Yes, and with dates.

SaveFerris wrote:
Finding faces , animals or shapes in inanimate objects like clouds , the grains and knots in wood , carpets etc

I think it's considered a normal human trait to find patterns in things like this. This is why all the crappy news items about the Virgin Mary being found in a piece of toast, ghosts in a window reflection, etc.

SaveFerris wrote:
Seeing words in number/license plates eg. BD51 ASD . Most number plates I see tell a story e.g. AB05 CDE ( A Boy aged 05 Couldn't Drink Eggnog ).

I spent quite a few years irritating my wife by pronouncing reg plates as I was driving - only the letter parts though.

SaveFerris wrote:
Looking at non famous people and comparing their likeness to famous people Or seeing famous people and comparing their likeness to someone you know.

I like to compare certain human faces to animals. Pigeons and weasels are a favourite.

SaveFerris wrote:
Noticing when patterns breakdown e.g. when symeterical things are not quite symeterical , or something interupts a pattern etc

That final one connects to this:

Finding inconsistencies in log files by relaxing your visual focus. In other words finding differences from the norm by comparing the shape of a thing rather than what the thing actually is.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 46 of 200

Listener of all things noisy, viewer of all things bloody, writer of all things sh*t.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2017, 6:34 am

Thanks Andrew , could anything I've mentioned be attributed to OCD and not ASD?

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Feb 2017, 2:10 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
Thanks Andrew , could anything I've mentioned be attributed to OCD and not ASD?

No idea, I don't have OCD. I know that Asperger's does, superficially at least, share certain traits with OCD. I routinely check my windows and locks at night, not because of compulsion, but because it's a routine that I follow and if I don't do it then I feel uncomfortable until I do do it. Order and routine helps manage executive functioning problems. I've no idea if pattern finding is an OCD trait.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 46 of 200

Listener of all things noisy, viewer of all things bloody, writer of all things sh*t.