Does it matter to you if you can understand lyrics?

Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 7:52 pm

It doesn't matter to me. English is the only language I speak but I can get by in a couple other languages. And of those languages, my interest in all of them stems from music. I like:

Lovex - Finnish rock band, though their lyrics are in English
Super Junior (Army!) - Korean pop
BoA Kwon - Japanese, Korean pop
Shinee - Korean pop
Jay Park - Korean pop?
GazettE - Japanese metal/rock
Utada Hikaru - Japanese pop

Tokio Hotel, my current obsession. German pop/rock.

I do listen to English/American music, mostly rock. Huge Black Veil Brides fan, though I love Andy's solo stuff too. Linkin Park is my favorite band. I also love Fall Out Boy and Patrick Stump.

There's more but that's the gist of it. Hearing music in other languages from a young age (video games and anime) made me fall in love, and I do know the lyrics / meanings. So I sing those songs all the time.

marika.ashley
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Mar 2017, 12:02 am

I would say that knowing the meaning of a song is important to me, but not necessarily understanding the language. I listen to a lot of foreign music as well (in Japanese, German, Italian, to name a few,) and if I like the music of the song well enough, I will look up the meaning of the lyrics and keep that in mind as I listen in the future. But knowing or not knowing the meaning of the lyrics makes no difference to my enjoyment at first. ^^

Side note, I actually have a pretty sticky brain when it comes to language and lyrics, and even if the song is in a language I don't speak at all, I can usually sing along with it anyway. Understanding the words has zero effect on whether I can regurgitate them later or not.

BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 12:11 am

marika.ashley wrote:
I actually have a pretty sticky brain when it comes to language and lyrics, and even if the song is in a language I don't speak at all, I can usually sing along with it anyway. Understanding the words has zero effect on whether I can regurgitate them later or not.

Same. I seem to pick up words quickly in other languages, though some more than others such as Japanese because I've been exposed to it for most of my life. That doesn't mean I know the meaning of every word but I can parrot them all back in a perfect accent. :roll: