Does it matter to you if you can understand lyrics?

Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

hanpil35
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Joined: 4 Nov 2015
Gender: Female
Posts: 28
Location: Norway

12 Mar 2017, 2:12 pm

For me, it matters. I listen to music in foreign languages, but usually translate them and search up the lyrics meaning. I don't like music i can't understand or identify myself with.



Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 31,159
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

12 Mar 2017, 9:20 pm

AlanMooresBeard wrote:
I refuse to listen to Burzum because of Varg Vikernes' sentiments. I have no time for that nonsense in the music that I listen to. Actually, I've never been all that into black metal partly because of the imagery. Not because I'm religious. I just find it lame. That said, I really like Immortal partly because they're more influenced by Tolkien than satanism or nazism. They also have some really cool riffs with a significant thrash metal influence which I find very appealing (Thrash has always been my favourite type of metal). I also like Satyricon and Emperor's first album. There's also Behemoth but I consider them more of a death metal band really.

Back on-topic, I don't really need to understand lyrics in order to enjoy music. I'm a big fan of Rammstein and almost everything they've written is in German. There's also bands where the vocals are so extreme that I can't make out any of the lyrics but that doesn't matter as long as the music is cool. The first Suffocation album, Effigy Of The Forgotten, is a case in point. I've listened to songs like Liege Of Inveracity and Infecting The Crypts dozens of times and I still have no idea what the vocalist is growling about unless I have the lyrics in front of me. Fortunately, he's quite a bit easier to understand on every album after that simply because his vocals aren't so guttural on those later records.



Speaking of Immortal did you hear any of the new Abbath album of the same name...apparently he broke off from immortal and released that. Also he is in a band called I which is pretty good. As for Burzum I certainly listened to some but knowing his philosophies I can't say I listen much anymore but I don't change it every-time it comes on a playlist I admit.

Also I find Scandinavian languages and german to just sound really good in metal, I certainly don't understand much but I really like the way it sounds.



Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 31,159
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

12 Mar 2017, 9:26 pm

hanpil35 wrote:
For me, it matters. I listen to music in foreign languages, but usually translate them and search up the lyrics meaning. I don't like music i can't understand or identify myself with.


I do that sometimes, but for me its not always the lyrics and such I identify with...sometimes it's just the atmosphere of it.



AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 19 Apr 2013
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 425
Location: London, UK

13 Mar 2017, 3:15 am

Sweetleaf wrote:

Speaking of Immortal did you hear any of the new Abbath album of the same name...apparently he broke off from immortal and released that. Also he is in a band called I which is pretty good. As for Burzum I certainly listened to some but knowing his philosophies I can't say I listen much anymore but I don't change it every-time it comes on a playlist I admit.

Also I find Scandinavian languages and german to just sound really good in metal, I certainly don't understand much but I really like the way it sounds.


I did listen to Abbath's solo record when it came out last year. I thought it was decent but it's not something I listen to often. I also saw him live around the time the album came out. Unfortunately, he was drunk out of his mind and the sound mix was absolutely terrible. Abbath was so wasted that he accidentally unplugged his guitar while he was playing and, despite his bass player pointing it out to him, he just carried on playing as though nothing had happened! Definitely one of the worse shows that I've ever seen.

I don't really listen to much metal or hard rock in German or Scandinavian languages aside from Rammstein. I do understand a little German though so I can make out at least some of Rammstein's lyrics most of the time. I do agree that writing their songs in German does suit their sound well. If you've ever been curious about how their music would send in English, check out Till Lindemann's solo album that came out a couple of years ago if you haven't heard it.



Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Mar 2016
Gender: Female
Posts: 671
Location: Manchester UK

13 Mar 2017, 4:08 am

AlanMooresBeard wrote:
Quote:
That's perfectly understandable tbh. I dislike how I ended up getting into Burzum because it was a trend with the metalheads at one point so everyone was pretty much just throwing Burzum/Bathory etc at me. You couldn't walk very far without seeing Bathory/Burzum shirts at one point lol. Hell, even I have a Bathory shirt somewhere in the depths of my wardrobe. But yeah, now I really like a couple of Burzum songs so I'm too attached to let them go even though they're basically pricks.

What BM stuff would you class as lame btw? If it's the whole corpse paint thing then fair enough but that's kind of a joke within a joke at this point rather than for the sake of solely looking brutal/kvlt from what I've been told. Though I wouldn't mind doing a corpse paint thing for a laugh. For me I usually stick to the smart looking BM shirts in black/white. Marduk/Carpathian Forest etc


I do quite like Bathory now you come to mention them. Under The Sign Of The Black Mark is a great album and I do like the two records after that one as well.

I'd say it's more the satanic themes in the music than the corpse paint that I find lame. King Diamond ticked both of those boxes but at least his lyrical themes transitioned to more of a horror movie theme. I guess I like a bit more variety in a band's lyrical content really. I also dislike Deicide for the same reason. And Glen Benton seems to be a bit of a knob too which doesn't help. I actually think some of the more interesting black metal around now is from bands that mix it with other genres particularly black/shoegaze groups such as Deafheaven and Alcest. Try checking them out if you aren't familiar with them.


Bathory aren't too bad yeah, that album is pretty good though I've always liked Twilight of the Gods. Just something about that album I love that I can't put my finger on.

So, I guess Dimmu Borgir kinda stuff then, which is completely fair enough haha. I went to one of their shows when Defenders of the Faith were on and their whole set was just strobe lights and flashing Satanic pentagrams on the screen enough to give you an epileptic seizure lol.

King Diamond is too posery for my liking, and I'm not keen on the uber squeaky high pitch thing he does cause it's too Judas Priest, it's not bad though, far from it. Though I do like both as they both have some great tracks, not completely dismissing them.

I really love Alcest atm now you mention it. I got into them thanks to my current Ne Obliviscaris obsession. I'm probs similar with wanting variety, probs why I'm such a fangirl of NeO atm cause clean vox/harsh vox/violin etc. Though they just kicked their bass player out and he was amazing which is a shame, but then again apparently he was a woman beater so fair enough.

This in particular, btw. It's great to balance them with the really uber heavy stuff. I'm quite a fan of slam/death metal too.


Deafhaven seem pretty good actually, they were always on my recommended I just never bothered to give them a try. Thanks for the heads up.

Sweetleaf wrote:
Speaking of Immortal did you hear any of the new Abbath album of the same name...apparently he broke off from immortal and released that. Also he is in a band called I which is pretty good. As for Burzum I certainly listened to some but knowing his philosophies I can't say I listen much anymore but I don't change it every-time it comes on a playlist I admit.

Also I find Scandinavian languages and german to just sound really good in metal, I certainly don't understand much but I really like the way it sounds.


LOL what, seriously? I need to do me some googlan. I always thought Abbath was a cool dude just completely insane and an alcoholic, but certainly not bitter.

http://www.metalinjection.net/shocking- ... w-material

The comment on this about him being the songwriter is kind of a difficult one, I mean if he wrote the songs.. and there's such controversy over lyrics in BM I guess it'd be quite the argument... ahh I'm confused. I guess it's a bit of an arse move to just take the previous stuff when you could just write new stuff seeing as you're the writer.

Btw I totally agree about the Scandinavian languages/German. I've been toying with the idea of learning German for a while now, love the country and a lot of the cultures there. Funny thing, 'gums' in German literally translate to teeth meat. (Zahnfleisch) xD

AlanMooresBeard wrote:
I also saw him live around the time the album came out. Unfortunately, he was drunk out of his mind and the sound mix was absolutely terrible. Abbath was so wasted that he accidentally unplugged his guitar while he was playing and, despite his bass player pointing it out to him, he just carried on playing as though nothing had happened! Definitely one of the worse shows that I've ever seen.


Honestly like, I reckon Abbath is pretty much the drunk Lemmy/Marilyn Manson of the BM world. Like all those times I went to see Motorhead live and Lemmy was beyond WASTED and kept slurring his words, same with MM, completely way too drunk to perform, even at huge festivals.


_________________
I n t r a V e n u s


AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 19 Apr 2013
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 425
Location: London, UK

13 Mar 2017, 8:35 am

Lunella wrote:
Bathory aren't too bad yeah, that album is pretty good though I've always liked Twilight of the Gods. Just something about that album I love that I can't put my finger on.

So, I guess Dimmu Borgir kinda stuff then, which is completely fair enough haha. I went to one of their shows when Defenders of the Faith were on and their whole set was just strobe lights and flashing Satanic pentagrams on the screen enough to give you an epileptic seizure lol.

King Diamond is too posery for my liking, and I'm not keen on the uber squeaky high pitch thing he does cause it's too Judas Priest, it's not bad though, far from it. Though I do like both as they both have some great tracks, not completely dismissing them.

I really love Alcest atm now you mention it. I got into them thanks to my current Ne Obliviscaris obsession. I'm probs similar with wanting variety, probs why I'm such a fangirl of NeO atm cause clean vox/harsh vox/violin etc. Though they just kicked their bass player out and he was amazing which is a shame, but then again apparently he was a woman beater so fair enough.

This in particular, btw. It's great to balance them with the really uber heavy stuff. I'm quite a fan of slam/death metal too.


Deafhaven seem pretty good actually, they were always on my recommended I just never bothered to give them a try. Thanks for the heads up.

Honestly like, I reckon Abbath is pretty much the drunk Lemmy/Marilyn Manson of the BM world. Like all those times I went to see Motorhead live and Lemmy was beyond WASTED and kept slurring his words, same with MM, completely way too drunk to perform, even at huge festivals.


I saw Dimmu Borgir on that Defenders Of The Faith tour too. Lamb Of God were on the bill as well I think. Good times. Can't believe that was nearly 10 years ago!

I'm not really a big fan of super high falsettos either. I find a lot of power metal unappealing for that reason alone. That said, both KD and Judas Priest have so many good songs (especially Priest) that I can overlook the vocals. Rob Halford is an awesome singer though. Some of the notes he hit back in the day were just insane!

I don't mind if a performer has had a drink or two before hitting the stage but not to the extent that they can barely function! I think it would have been better if Abbath saved the booze until after the show so people can get their money's worth from the show. I'm curious to see how the new Abbath-less Immortal turns out. If they do play live, I hope they'll be at least fairly sober!



PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 May 2016
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 673
Location: Yorkshire, UK

14 Mar 2017, 8:50 am

If it's in English, I usually like to hear the lyrics clearly enough to get something out of them. There's a range, though- with artists like Leonard Cohen or Jake Thackray, the lyrics are the major appeal for me. While in Goldfrapp or Portishead, I'm happy just hearing nice sounds made with the voice!

With lyrics in other languages, I used to desperately try to track down translations. Now I'm happy with just getting a general idea from the liner notes. And it can be more relaxing to hear singing in a language I don't understand- I can let that part of my brain rest, which I need sometimes.

The above is mainly about recordings. When you hear a song live for the first time, I don't think it's possible to fully absorb all the lyrics. I write and perform songs myself, and it took me a while to accept that that's all right. People can hear only half or a quarter of the words I'm singing and still get something out of them.


_________________
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.


Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2014
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 25,951
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.A.

14 Mar 2017, 11:03 am

It ABSOLUTELY matters, to me, if I can't understand the lyrics----AND, it's better, if I know what they mean. What if you're listening to lyrics (in a language that you don't know) that say everyone should kill their mother, and eat their pet dog!!

Ballads are my favorite, cuz the lyrics tell a story----and, that is one of the reasons why Country is one of my favorite genres.

"MacArthur Park" is my all-time most HATED song----"Someone left the cake out, in the rain"; what does that even mean?!?!

All that being said, I must admit, however, that I HAVE heard a couple snippets of songs, and liked the way they sounded----BUT, because they were in a language other than English, and I was unable to know what they were saying, I turned them off.





_________________
White female; age 58; diagnosed Aspie.
I use caps for emphasis----I'm NOT angry or shouting. I use caps like others use italics, underline, or bold.
"What we know is a drop; what we don't know, is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 69,945
Location: Queens, NYC

14 Mar 2017, 1:57 pm

Obviously, lyrics are important.

But, when I was a kid, I couldn't understand most lyrics. I used to enjoy the music to the pop songs, though.

I don't have a good enough auditory memory to understand someone like Dylan unless I'm reading the lyrics while he sings his song.



LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jul 2014
Age: 51
Gender: Female
Posts: 631
Location: Tacoma

14 Mar 2017, 7:48 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:

"MacArthur Park" is my all-time most HATED song----"Someone left the cake out, in the rain"; what does that even mean?!?!


Lyrics matter to me too, but not if it's obviously meant to be a nonsense songs. I love nonsense songs. The Llama Song, songs I've heard on weebls stuff, silly songs from Veggie Tales vids, that kind of thing. I find myself repeating those songs, they help me retain a sense of humor when I'm all stressed.


_________________
Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 141 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 71 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)
Official diagnosis: Austism Spectrum Disorder Level One, without learning disability, without speech/language delay; Requiring Support


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 69,945
Location: Queens, NYC

14 Mar 2017, 9:19 pm

That was the psychedelic thing: non-sequitor lyrics



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,725
Location: temperate zone

15 Mar 2017, 9:00 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
It ABSOLUTELY matters, to me, if I can't understand the lyrics----AND, it's better, if I know what they mean. What if you're listening to lyrics (in a language that you don't know) that say everyone should kill their mother, and eat their pet dog!!

Ballads are my favorite, cuz the lyrics tell a story----and, that is one of the reasons why Country is one of my favorite genres.

"MacArthur Park" is my all-time most HATED song----"Someone left the cake out, in the rain"; what does that even mean?!?!

All that being said, I must admit, however, that I HAVE heard a couple snippets of songs, and liked the way they sounded----BUT, because they were in a language other than English, and I was unable to know what they were saying, I turned them off.


I LOOOOOVE to HATE that song! :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Someone left my cake out in the rain....

the sweet green icing....melting dowwwwn....

And don't think that I can TAKE IT!

Because it took me so long to BAKE it!

And I will never have that recipe AGAIN! :cry: "

And there are several versions to choose from for you to wallow in the agony. Actor Richard Harris did a kinda talk version of it. You could call it "proto rap". And then Donna Summers did her disco version.

Oddly enough it was penned by Jim Webb who wrote some of the best pop/country song lyrics of the Sixties (like "Gentle on My Mind', "Wichita Linemen", and "Galveston"). I guess MacArthur Park was his joker in the pack.



whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Aug 2016
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,336
Location: Finland

16 Mar 2017, 2:41 am

Yes and no. If a song has lyrics that resonate with me, that's a plus, but I mainly enjoy music more for exactly that - the music, not the lyrics.


_________________
“They laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same.”
― Kurt Cobain


BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Mar 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 714
Location: Somewhere only we know.

24 Mar 2017, 7:52 pm

It doesn't matter to me. English is the only language I speak but I can get by in a couple other languages. And of those languages, my interest in all of them stems from music. I like:

Lovex - Finnish rock band, though their lyrics are in English
Super Junior (Army!) - Korean pop
BoA Kwon - Japanese, Korean pop
Shinee - Korean pop
Jay Park - Korean pop?
GazettE - Japanese metal/rock
Utada Hikaru - Japanese pop

Tokio Hotel, my current obsession. German pop/rock.

I do listen to English/American music, mostly rock. Huge Black Veil Brides fan, though I love Andy's solo stuff too. Linkin Park is my favorite band. I also love Fall Out Boy and Patrick Stump.

There's more but that's the gist of it. Hearing music in other languages from a young age (video games and anime) made me fall in love, and I do know the lyrics / meanings. So I sing those songs all the time.



marika.ashley
Butterfly
Butterfly

Joined: 25 Mar 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 16
Location: Reno, Nevada

26 Mar 2017, 12:02 am

I would say that knowing the meaning of a song is important to me, but not necessarily understanding the language. I listen to a lot of foreign music as well (in Japanese, German, Italian, to name a few,) and if I like the music of the song well enough, I will look up the meaning of the lyrics and keep that in mind as I listen in the future. But knowing or not knowing the meaning of the lyrics makes no difference to my enjoyment at first. ^^

Side note, I actually have a pretty sticky brain when it comes to language and lyrics, and even if the song is in a language I don't speak at all, I can usually sing along with it anyway. Understanding the words has zero effect on whether I can regurgitate them later or not.



BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Mar 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 714
Location: Somewhere only we know.

26 Mar 2017, 12:11 am

marika.ashley wrote:
I actually have a pretty sticky brain when it comes to language and lyrics, and even if the song is in a language I don't speak at all, I can usually sing along with it anyway. Understanding the words has zero effect on whether I can regurgitate them later or not.


Same. I seem to pick up words quickly in other languages, though some more than others such as Japanese because I've been exposed to it for most of my life. That doesn't mean I know the meaning of every word but I can parrot them all back in a perfect accent. :roll: