Americans fleeing to Canada illegally as refugees

Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2017, 5:09 pm

No, really.

http://www.kcra.com/article/at-least-9- ... ec/8956761

I know that the whole "I'm leaving the country if Candidate XYZ becomes POTUS!" meme is pretty cliched by now, but it seems that it's actually happening under Trump.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2017, 5:13 pm

Well, it's not a flood of refugees... yet.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2017, 6:04 pm

Build a bi-lingual wall.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

20 Feb 2017, 6:05 pm

and Canada will deport them back hahaha

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2017, 6:08 pm

Why didn't they all flee to Mexico instead ? Ironically projectionist racist much...?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2017, 6:31 pm

Ban-Dodger wrote:
Why didn't they all flee to Mexico instead ? Ironically projectionist racist much...?

Or maybe because Canada is an English speaking country with a low crime rate?

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2017, 7:05 pm

Now that's just silly; everybody knows that Canadians are really just Americans-in-Denial...

Kraichgauer wrote:
Ban-Dodger wrote:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2017, 11:16 pm

Ban-Dodger wrote:
Now that's just silly; everybody knows that Canadians are really just Americans-in-Denial...
Kraichgauer wrote:
Ban-Dodger wrote:

Canada's population (outside Quebec) is predominantly Anglo-Celtic (like Australia and New Zealand). The United States population is English speaking but predominantly Continental European with more than half of Americans having at least one German ancestor.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2017, 11:42 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Ban-Dodger wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Ban-Dodger wrote:

Canada's population (outside Quebec) is predominantly Anglo-Celtic (like Australia and New Zealand). The United States population is English speaking but predominantly Continental European with more than half of Americans having at least one German ancestor.

True; I don't have a drop of English blood, as far as I know, I being a Deutscher for the most part. That said, language and culture determine your identity much more than your DNA. Thus, a German American like me could still feel right at home in Australia or Canada.
Well, as long as you keep the creepy crawlies and man eating crocodiles in Australia away from me. :lol:

diablo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Feb 2017, 12:04 am

Were these people Americans, or people that lived in America illegally and felt they'd be safe from deportation up there? I've heard Canada is pretty strict on immigration due to people taking advantage of their free healthcare.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2017, 2:07 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Ban-Dodger wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Ban-Dodger wrote:

True; I don't have a drop of English blood, as far as I know, I being a Deutscher for the most part. That said, language and culture determine your identity much more than your DNA. Thus, a German American like me could still feel right at home in Australia or Canada.
Well, as long as you keep the creepy crawlies and man eating crocodiles in Australia away from me. :lol:

I think cultural background does influences Americans more than they like to admit. Americans in Australia tend to be easy to pick out in an airport. You guys are born with an inbuilt megaphone in your voice box :lol:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2017, 2:40 am

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Ban-Dodger wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Ban-Dodger wrote:

I think cultural background does influences Americans more than they like to admit. Americans in Australia tend to be easy to pick out in an airport. You guys are born with an inbuilt megaphone in your voice box :lol:

Doesn't surprise me. :lol:

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2017, 6:12 am

diablo wrote:
Were these people Americans, or people that lived in America illegally and felt they'd be safe from deportation up there?

That's a good question.

diablo wrote:
I've heard Canada is pretty strict on immigration due to people taking advantage of their free healthcare.

And I think the United States should likewise be just as strict of people wanting to take advantage of the welfare system etc.

Edit: The article says they were 10 people from Turkey and Sudan, and they we're crossing over from New York State into Quebec.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2017, 8:15 am

International immigrants have been showing up all along the border. Refugees afraid of American deportation.

I live just north of the New York State border and frankly for the first time in my life I feel threatened by being so close to the border. If the US falls into civil war or collapse people are going to try to escape the chaos by coming north. I don't know how long they could be held back. Defending itself from America is not something that has really been an issue before. If that were to happen I would go to the North. Too cold for Americans up there.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2017, 8:16 am

We're not going to have a civil war.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2017, 8:34 am

Without any evidence, am I more right than wrong that a disproportionate number of these flee-ers are former American draft-dodgers and recent wannabes? Of course, leaving the United States and even renouncing U.S. citizenship is quite easy. Getting back in is the hard part.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)