Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2017, 12:41 pm

Kinda a Love hate relationship, I like traveling but I don't like leaving to travel.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2017, 4:29 pm

I can no longer afford to travel and go on holiday etc.. partly why I'm so excited about two measly 3-day field trips for uni because at least I will be 'going somewhere' for the first time in... a long time. I can't recall feeling upset about the strangeness of a new location etc... when I have been on past holidays however, as I'd become too wrapped up in absorbing new things to have time to dislike unfamiliarities. Times past when I've travelled to a new place I'd often get uncharacteristically fascinated with local history and folklore to the exclusion of the local people living in the area at the time of my visit, which makes me less aware of 'me' and 'the place' if that makes any sense at all.
Still, I can say with some degree of foreknowledge that I likely wouldn't acclimatise so well if I went on holiday solo: I'd retreat completely.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2017, 5:39 pm

I like it and would like to do more of it. I have to save up more money, though.

TUAndrew
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Feb 2017, 6:05 pm

I love travelling, I've been to so many French cities and spent so much time there that it's really a 2nd home to me.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2017, 6:38 pm

I like the flight part if we fly. I went to Atlanta this summer and got to do a lot of walking, I love walking.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2017, 7:30 pm

The only part of travelling I like is looking out the window of the mode of transport , listening to music and daydreaming , apart from that it sucks balls ( planning , starting the trip , people , stress , arriving etc etc ). It's caused a lot of arguments in my relationship that I don't want to / can't go on holiday and can't fully explain to my GF why it's such an issue for me , I think she gets it now but there is definately resentment.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2017, 10:56 pm

I'd love to be able to travel, but I don't have the means to do so. I had a good time traveling to different parts of North America before 9-11. I'd like to be able to travel the world some day.

amykitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Feb 2017, 3:48 am

I love it. I love exploring new places and experiencing new culture. Its been a dream of mine to travel the world and I suspect one day when I'm really old or I win the lottery or something I will just do it. However, I do tend to stick to places I like once I know somewhere and I can understand the anxiety, particularly traveling somewhere you don't know the language. But I do a lot of research on the place I'm going to go just to make sure I know where I'm going and it seems ok with me.

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Feb 2017, 12:54 pm

I do like visiting new places and finding all the cool stuff that there is to do while I'm there. I've gone away somewhere either domestically or abroad every year since 2011 and I'd like to keep that up if I can. I don't like travelling by plane so much due to the hassle involved prior to the flight and, to a lesser extent, afterwards. Living in London, I have easy access to Eurostar rail services and I'd really love to take trains into Europe rather than flying but I've not had the chance to do that yet aside from a trip to Paris 15 years ago. I also really need to see more of the UK as there are huge swathes of it that I've never spent time in. Hopefully, I can rectify that in the next few years.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2017, 1:30 pm

I ended up leaving the bands that I used to play music with because I just couldn't stand the travelling, especially once we started getting occasional gigs outside the UK.

It's not that I lack curiosity about other people and places - they fascinate me, and I love learning about them - but I struggle too much with the transitions. Especially with a typical "vacation" of only a week or two, it's usually time to go home before I am anywhere near settled enough in the unfamiliar environment to be able to enjoy the experiences (or get any sleep!). And bus/railway stations and airports are second only to hospitals in my list of places that I least like to go - though I do rather enjoy the day-dreaming as the landscape goes part the window when I travel by train (if the carriage is not crowded, at least.)

The only holidays that I ever really enjoyed were solo hiking trips out in the wilderness, camping out in the middle of nowhere, as far from civilisation as I could get - sadly, I don't have the physical fitness to carry all that equipment these days.

Having said all that, I don't really feel like I'm missing out too much - for a couple of reasons.

For one, my "autobiographical" memory is absolutely useless. I think partly because alexithymia means that my memories don't really contain much in the way of emotional content. Once the holiday ends, it isn't long before the memory of it is little more than just a "fact" about the world, and I can't really remember the "experience" of it or how I felt emotionally. Past holidays don't seem so different to the fantasies I experience in dreams - and REM sleep is a lot cheaper than air fares!

The other reason I don't feel I'm missing out is because I am able to go on "holidays" that many other people cannot - every time I dive into one of my special interests, the total immersion is just like "being somewhere else". I can take a vacation in the "Costa del Music" or visit "Planet Computer Coding" whenever I have the time to spare, with no forward planning needed, and, so far as I can tell, with benefits for my well-being which are just as effective as taking a holiday for those folks who enjoy that kind of thing.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2017, 3:46 pm

I love travelling, but I freak out in new places - does that make sense? I used to read travel guides obsessively.

Extensive preparation helps. And airports. I love airports for the buzz and excitement. I love the sensation of flying. Flying is this beautiful ritualistic experience. I love hotel rooms for the fact that other people do the house work, but it takes me quite a bit of time to get used to a hotel room. I tend to panic a bit at first.

I am happy about every holiday I ever had, though. I have fantastic memories of beautiful places. The scent of jasmine in Provence in particular.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2017, 8:11 pm

Maybe I would enjoy occasionally, to go someplace new...if I could stand it.

mathiebrungrand
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Feb 2017, 10:08 pm

When I was in my 20s, I struggled to do short overnight trips with friends nearby (Philadelphia, etc). After a few hours away, I would so badly want to return to my nest. It used to really make my friends angry, but I stopped trying to escape and just kept a mental countdown in my mind for when I could return home. Gradually I learned that no matter what, it takes me a little bit of time to get used to new places and my anxiety gets even worse when I am with other people, as I fear they will be unhappy with my behavior. And I become irritable, which makes people angry with me.

So, I started traveling alone. I found that without other people, I had time to adjust to my surroundings without being pressured. I could find food that I would eat and familiarize myself with the locality without having to worry about entertaining others. I could read books on the beach or go for long hikes in the forest and be alone with my own thoughts. And I certainly still had my moments, but I didnt have to spend energy to hide it. I would just return to my room as quickly as possible until it passed.

Now that I know myself a little better, I can travel with others for short amounts of time without too much trouble. I just know that I will need to take periodic breaks to be by myself and I need to stick to my napping schedule. Yes, I take a nap everyday. However, I do not consider trips with other people to be restful. If I can choose between traveling with friends or traveling by myself, I will choose the solo trip everytime.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2017, 11:12 pm

I like travelling as long as the bus/coach/tram/train etc. isn't too noisy.

I've never flown, but I don't think I'd be able to cope if there was a screaming baby or people who just won't shut up behind me for the entire flight.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

mrshappyhands

24 Feb 2017, 12:10 am

I love it. I let my guard down and become the real me.

Belushi87
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Feb 2017, 4:26 am

i've always enjoyed travelling and i wished i was able to afford to take trips on a regular basis. the longest i've gone between trips was 5 years.