Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

TUAndrew
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Feb 2017, 5:12 pm

I was tempted to put this in the 'Do you have trouble driving?' thread, but I thought I'd create a new one as it's more detailed than a post.

I've had a driving licence for many years but I haven't driven my own car yet. This was for a few reasons; I couldn’t afford one, I lived so close to work that I didn’t really need one but most of all it’s that I’ve never really felt comfortable with a car. I can’t put my finger on it but they’ve always felt unwieldy, unnatural to control. Of course this could be because I don’t have experience of driving beyond my lessons & test, but still I can’t imagine driving one for pleasure.

Now that I’ve got the expendable income to get a car I’ve instead been looking at getting a motorcycle licence instead. I’ve ridden bicycles all my life so it feels like a natural progression from it. Also, even a modest motorcycle fills me with more wonder and appreciation than a high-end sports car would.

I remember someone on another Autism forum saying that motorcycles are popular with aspies because a bike gives you more spatial awareness than a car. So Wrong Planet, I have a few questions..

Would you agree that aspies have more of a draw towards motorcycles?

What are your experiences of them?

In terms of safety, do you think that the increased spatial awareness outweighs the clear advantages of a car?

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2017, 5:19 pm

Go for it dude!
I have a few mates with autism and vroom vroom bikes, they all said it was the best thing they ever did and they gained so much freedom/confidence. They all love the bike modding side of it too. Not to mention you can basically just avoid traffic by driving down the middle or side of it haha. We have tons of bike clubs in the UK, nice ones too with decent people.

We definitely have some kind of draw to it, as I said I know a few with them.

I think you're probably going to be just as safe as in a car to be honest, it all depends on what kind of driver you are anyway - if you're cautious and not some angry dick you'll be fine.

I rode on the back of my friends bike a few times, maybe try to find someone you can do that with to get a feel for it. It's fun too. Plus, cheaper insurance/petrol etc. Also it's probably much easier to learn how to ride a vroom vroom bike than a car.

I'll be doing it myself soon when I figure out what kind of bike I want.

TUAndrew
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Feb 2017, 5:38 pm

That's great to hear!

As for kind of bike- for my first bike I'd get the cheaper end of traditional 'roadster' type, and ideally I'd want a sports bike. Dirt-bikes sound like mosquitoes and Harleys have a bit too much of a 'mid-life crisis' image. For colour I'd have black with a bit of dark green. Do you have any ideas for yours yet?

I'm not looking forward to selling my parents the idea but at the age of 29 I've got to put my foot down sometimes, plus they're pretty respectul anyway. I can just imagine turning up to a family gathering on a bike for the first time like- "sup? :D Oh this? It's a Ducati..."

As for the safety I see what you mean about driving style, some people are just idiots on them.

Last edited by TUAndrew on 21 Feb 2017, 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2017, 5:59 pm

I've been told that Japanese sporty type ones are the most reliable, Kawasaki in particular. My friend recently built his own and it looks like he paid 10 grand for it when he only did it for like 2 grand, if that. I may just throw money at him until I have a black sleek sporty thing since he likes having the projects to work on. Bike modders are useful friends. He recently built this black sleek one with an orange trim and I was like oh god I want that in purple, the noise it made was like a roar. *-*

Seeing as you're all the way down there then you'd be fine as it's mostly flat land so you won't struggle too much with learning, but I've been told you're better off learning how to drive in a city cause then you can pretty much tackle anywhere.

Wouldn't go with a Harley though it definitely kinda gives off the old man vibe now yeah.

Rule of thumb with anything I follow, you do what you wanna do and tell everyone else to sod off and live their own lives instead of focusing on yours.

Just be cautious on a bike, you know people opening car doors when you're trying to go past and such, don't get inpatient and try to overtake people and you'll be reet.

TUAndrew
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Feb 2017, 6:21 pm

Oh yes the Kawasakis, there's someone at my work who has a black & red Kawasaki ZZR1400 parked outside and I've got to hold myself back from drooling over it. *-*

That is a good friend to have! Normally I'd stay away from custom builds but it sounds like he knows what he's doing.

Eh it's my family in Norfolk; I'm in Portsmouth which is surrounded by marshes and hills. Still, I'm sure there's a good country road somewhere. And like you said urban areas have their advantages too.

Indeed that's a good rule of thumb to go by. You may understand that a motorcycle hasn't been anywhere near my family; it's always been very much a 'sedan; space for golf clubs in the boot' affair. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's not me.

Yeah that does concern me, people randomly opening car doors or turning straight into you at a junction. How exactly would you avoid the doors? Good reactions I guess.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2017, 7:16 pm

TUAndrew wrote:
there's someone at my work who has a black & red Kawasaki ZZR1400 parked outside and I've got to hold myself back from drooling over it. *-*

hnnnng. I'm not surprised. Kawaski's from having drives on my mates seem really nice, not too annoying to ride or anything. Definitely get involved with the many bike clubs/groups, they always have those groups on facebook and post events for big rallies and it's super fun going to them cause it's you and like 200+ other people on loud vroom vroom bikes having a drive around. The people are usually really nice too. Never know, you may meet more autistic folk seeing as we're sorta drawn to it from what I've noticed.

Modding in general if you're gonna go for that it's always better knowing someone who's done a good few of them if you're gonna ask for work I guess.

Cars just seem boring but I can understand your parents getting on yer tits about it, just try to reassure them that you'd be fine, or don't even mention it until you've perfected driving one and just turn up like you said, then nothing can be done. I guess it's all down to them not knowing enough about it so they get concerned because all they must hear is bad stuff about bikes when it's usually idiots who aren't cautious enough driving them anyway.

As for the car doors, I imagine you'd just have to work on your reaction time and just be really alert to what's going on in front of you, maybe keep over to the other side of the lane to avoid that since you get a lot of leeway with a bike. I wouldn't be too worried about it though, it's not like most people can't hear a really loud bike coming near them, driver door side are supposed to check anyway.

Oh, also definitely get a helmet cam, more people are getting cameras these days to make things a lot easier, I'll be putting one on the back of the bike as well just in case since it's better safe than sorry. When I get going on mine I'll probably be driving with a couple of friends so gonna get those helmet microphones so we can talk and drive, seems really fun driving in a group like that.

I usually watch this guys channel, American but still interesting.

TUAndrew
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Feb 2017, 6:09 pm

Ha maybe I'll meet loads of Autistic people there but I wouldn't know it unless I've got my 'Aspiedar' tuned.

Anyway thanks for the advice!

Private Idaho
Toucan
Toucan

24 Feb 2017, 12:23 pm

I rode dirt bikes as a teenager and have lately thought about getting a motorcycle license and a small touring bike. Nothing sporty but it would need to have a large frame because I'm tall. I live in a area next to a large national park and there are miles of nice roads with little traffic. I don't see myself riding in heavy traffic.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 10:11 am

I don't like motorcycles, but don't object to others having them. I just wish my next door neighbor wasn't one of them, as I don't like the noise. I also wish the manager's daughter's boyfriend didn't have one. I live across the lane from my trailer park manager, and his daughter's boyfriend often brings her home late at night by motorcycle.

It's just a noise issue with me. As for you buying one instead of a car. just remember, they aren't practical in bad weather. You will have more trouble on wet or snowy roads and in high winds or hail situations.

I suggest you start with a good used car instead and later on get a motorcycle to use in good weather. Since you were bothered by the feel of a big car around you, try test driving smaller cars. :D

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 10:18 am

I like the speed and maneuverability, but seriously stop with the noisy pipes. No one else wants to hear your stupid thumping. I wish the police would enforce noise ordinances against bikers and punish that fetish out of them.

artfulldodger
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Mar 2017, 10:34 pm

I really enjoy my Honda motorcycle. Its so relaxing, just me and the bike. nobody telling me how to drive and less destractions. Cant answer the cell phone on the bike. The peace and solitude is wondefull. Mine is a good size one, beautiful old GL500I Silverwing Interstate Edition. Basicly a baby Goldwing. Comfortable, full flairing on the front to keep the full brunt of the wind/bugs/rain off me. We are finally getting warm enough here where I live to get the bike out. I cannot do cold weather riding. But anytime the sun is out all summer long, I ride! Mike

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 59 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

kalvinbrown
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 May 2020, 5:51 am

I've been riding motorcycles for 24 years since I was 16 years old, my father put me on my first motorcycle. For all the time I've been in an accident 3 times because of the bastards who violate the rules of the road, I drive very carefully, don't exceed the speed limit and always in full gear. I have a son who is 9 years old and I'm thinking of giving him a children's motorcycle for his birthday. I've already selected a suitable motorcycle for him on [url/kids-/url] complete with full equipment, but my wife is absolutely against it because of the fact that I've been in accidents. She says that our son can hurt himself, although the son is waiting for this gift. Mates, advise me how to convince my wife and explain to her that nothing will happen to our son?

Last edited by B19 on 28 May 2020, 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.: spammer

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2020, 11:01 am

You say you like ordinary motor cycles. Would something like a Royal Enfield work?

If you want something that gives motorcycle thrills, is also impractical but mechanical, reliable & fun-- Model T Ford "speedster," original 4-cyl engine, Rootlieb body. Windshield optional.

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2020, 11:20 am

I can see the attraction to motorcycles. I get something out of ride a bicycle that you can't get with a car. But like I told me brother when he asked me if he should get a motorcycle. If you've had accidents in a car that were your fault, the answer is an obvious no. Even with accidents that weren't your fault you might want to reconsider motorcycles. I do live in a terrible place for road safety though.