Is getting overstimulated at complete random a normal thing?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

SmallBun
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2017, 8:49 am

I find that this happens to me quite often. I can't seem to pinpoint what is overstimulating me, and it drives me nuts. Any thoughts/advice on how to deal with this?

I just like being cute and small.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2017, 8:52 am

I can get overly stimulated very easily. It's very characteristic of autism, actually.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2017, 9:11 am

I get chills and hand flap over ordinary things. I never know when it's going to strike.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2017, 9:31 am

This is quite common; especially on the more sensitive aspies.

These overstimulations are rarely really random though; it is more likely that there is sensory input beyond the 'main 5' that are bothering you without you being aware of them (hunger, temperature, your own thoughts, being a bit dizzy... all of those can contribute to overstimulation)

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2017, 6:38 pm

I'm not sure how to explain how I'm able to handle too much stimuli (and even more than the norm could handle) without being overwhelmed and without trying to avoid them but...
At the same time, not being a sensory seeker or hyposensitive.

All I know is that I 'take' and 'absorb' it, not trying to 'block' or 'push stimuli away'. At the same time more on focusing with the 'inner mind' and clarity than the outer parts.
The focus.. Uhm, sort of propels itself. I don't know.

Does this make any sense??? :oops: I wanna know how to explain this.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Feb 2017, 9:24 pm

I've seen people in the past who I think were NT that are sensitive or get irritated by music, or long conversations. Some that avoid certain activities, foods, smells. I do not perceive them to be AS or even introverted. Perhaps they had anxiety I do not know.

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2017, 4:40 am

I often become overstimulated, or experience emotions too strong to deal with (I'm terrible at coping with emotions), but am unable to determine what triggered it. On reflection, I have never determined the cause of an episode I could not explain at the time through later contemplation.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2017, 3:50 pm

I don't get overstimulated so often - I live a very calm life.

That said, the things that drive me absolutely nuts about it are the following:

1. It takes me a really long time to notice that I've become overstimulated
2. When I become overstimulated I have a hard time understanding what is causing it and removing myself from that or those particular stimuli. Often, it's several things simultaneously.

ranthaman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Feb 2017, 11:07 pm

izzeme wrote:

These overstimulations are rarely really random though; it is more likely that there is sensory input beyond the 'main 5' that are bothering you without you being aware of them (hunger, temperature, your own thoughts, being a bit dizzy... all of those can contribute to overstimulation)

TEMPERATURE!
I was going to make a post of both temperature and water/itching...
I am not diagnosed asd, but in discovering what autism is and taking tests (and scoring in range on them),
I heard sensitivity to light, sounds, smell, taste, touch, etc, is an asd thing
I have already been diagnosed with other things and gone through DBT (dialectical behavioral therapy) which has made me MUCH more aware about myself and whats happening with me then I ever understood how to
One thing I noticed of my experiances getting overwhelmed was heat.
(the two things really were heat and being interupted while trying to focus because I have a hard time focusing with background noise so I'll plug my ears, but if I'm not prepared for the noise ie plugging my ears and someone will speak to me I can become overwhelmed)
But after going through the DBT, whenever I would start to feel hot I could mostly manage to calm myself out of it
before when I would get hot I felt it as external to me and couldn't deal with it and continued getting hotter till I felt I would explode really
But like I said, I'm not diagnosed asd and have never heard temperature to be a sensitivity...
for taste, smell, (and sound as I mentioned) I do have a few quirks with but I didn't figure servere.

However, I wonder about the temperate thing AND,
Ever since I was a kid when I would take a shower, coming out of the shower going wet to dry I would get HORRIBLE episodes of itchiness and spend the next few hours screaming and crying and scratching myself or rubbing all over with soft blankets fiercely. It is pretty terrible when it happens and I don't shower often because of it and that I'm afraid it will ever happen.
And when I do shower (about once a week) I have very specific way and order I shower each time, learned from what's helped and not helped me coming out with an itch attack. I can't let my wet hair touch my body for one, or the conditioner rinse on me either.
Luckily, since going to DBT, this too has been easier to avoid, but it is still baffling to me what it is or why I get it

So my question is,
water sensitivity a thing? Because that's the only other MAJOR thing that's pretty abnormal I can think of because nothing has sent me so bad as that or temperature and smells and sounds can be bad to deal with but not close to those two. I've however never heard of anything like it or known anyone else with it

Hopefully someone might be able to know and help
if not I atleast hope my story could be helpful to others, as reading other's posts is helpful to me
Thank you

AspieQuiz: 139/200 ND, 53/200 NT
MBTI type: ISTJ

nikkiDT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Feb 2017, 12:17 pm

I can relate. I live about 15 minutes away from a hospital, so sirens are a normal part of the day. I bloody hate sirens. Every time I hear one, I suddenly feel like I'm being crushed. When you're in a room full of people, their talking can be enough to make you wanna scream after a short amount of time. It doesn't bother the other people, but it bothers you a lot. Or going to the hairdresser. You feel weird having someone touch your scalp. Scared of the noises.

There are several other examples that I can't think of right now.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 2:31 pm

izzeme wrote:

I never really thought about it but I didn't realise you could overstimulate yourself with your thoughts. I suppose if your naturally introverted it's worse.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Awiddershinlife
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Feb 2017, 2:40 pm

SmallBun wrote:
I find that this happens to me quite often. I can't seem to pinpoint what is overstimulating me, and it drives me nuts. Any thoughts/advice on how to deal with this?

I was getting agitated, then heard my daughter comment that she was shutting off TV because of the high pitched noise it was making. As soon as she did I realized that was the source, but I wasn't aware of it. I now know that lights, electronics, fans, and far off noises can cause overstim and just recognizing the source helps me manage it.