Correspondence with the Aspergers service

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 11:34 am

I had correspondence with a psychologist from the Aspergers team at my local trust and she said that they accept referrals from a psychiatrist.
Therein lies the problem. Although the word autistic has been bandied about a few times over the years there has never been any move to push for an assessment.
I think this is because mental health services seem to think everything including the the social difficulties/awkwardness is explained by the psychiatric symptoms. My belief is that the psychiatric symptoms stem from the effect and reactions to the social awkwardness/difficulties and learning difficulties.

At 60 most of the damage through inadequate treatment and support has been done and can't be repaired unless one could go back in a time machine and change things.
It would be good though to get an accurate and intelligent view on my difficulties and problems and that I wasn't just the 'very dependent narcissist'', "awkward, demanding and troublesome" ,"illness Machiavellian in its complexity" that was described in my notes over a decade ago. The abusers who said that deserved to be repeatedly kicked in the head.

It's very difficult as the reason I got those labels was due to seeking more help and support. I'm now very wary of pressing the point for fear of the return to previous abuses. I occasionally make tentative comments but when it falls on deaf/daft ears I don't press the point. I just give an inner weary sigh.