Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Feb 2017, 2:24 pm

Other than my regular job, I work as a volunteer climbing instructor at a local climbing wall where I teach 8 to 16 year-olds (although I have taught 3 year-olds and coached 60+ year-olds).

Today, a father and young son were climbing in out bouldering area with outdoor shoes on. We have a policy of no outdoor shoes in this area for reason of hygiene and the fact that they could damage the safety mats. I politely asked the man to remove his and his son's shoes but he asked "why". I pointed at the sign that stated "no outdoor shoes" and explained the reasons. He then walked off out the office where he and spoke to the owner/manager. They both came out of the office and my boss looked at me and said "it's fine" and that they could climb with their shoes on and the man smirked at me. I went to have a quiet word with my boss and explained that I felt that I was undermined, that I was only following his instructions and that the man was now laughing at me, to which he just said "it's fine". But it's not fine, it's wrong!

Just a rant. Sorry!

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 46 of 200

Listener of all things noisy, viewer of all things bloody, writer of all things sh*t.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 2:44 pm

liveandrew wrote:
I went to have a quiet word with my boss and explained that I felt that I was undermined, that I was only following his instructions and that the man was now laughing at me, to which he just said "it's fine". But it's not fine, it's wrong!

Just a rant. Sorry!

There's sweet F A you can do if your boss moves the goalposts without telling you. If I was a betting man the bloke and his kid were very good friends of your boss or work higher up the company. It's the sort of thing you want to go above your boss's head with but in my experience it's best to just take it on the chin and call him a dick behind his back whenever you can , whenever he does something for you , reply 'f**k you very much' , these are the little wins I like to do.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 2:53 pm

It's an unpaid volunteer job, right?

So it's up to you to decide how much enjoyment you get out of volunteering at the climbing wall,
whether it's worth it because it looks good on your resume,
or if the majority of people there are decent enough to make up for the nasty ones, etc.

If you're no longer enjoying this particular volunteer position,
you can always find other ways to occupy your time.

Meanwhile, since it's a volunteer job,
I wouldn't take comments from this so-called "boss" much to heart.

idonthaveanickname
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Feb 2017, 3:11 pm

Why would your boss say that it's fine when there's a sign right there? He sounds like a jerk to me, and so does the customer. If that ever happened to me, I'd go look for another job, 'cause that's not right. And you don't have to apologize for ranting. I understand.

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Feb 2017, 3:38 pm

Rather than reply to each in turn I do it all in one go :)

SaveFerris wrote:
If I was a betting man the bloke and his kid were very good friends of your boss or work higher up the company. It's the sort of thing you want to go above your boss's head with but in my experience it's best to just take it on the chin and call him a dick behind his back whenever you can , whenever he does something for you , reply 'f**k you very much' , these are the little wins I like to do.

It's possibly true that he knew him. There is no one to go to as he's the owner. I can't say f**k you as I like working with the kids, plus my daughter gets to climb for free :( I have decided to ignore any future infractions and anyone adult who climbs with shoes covered in dog s**t can now do so, they can also belay dangerously and are free to break their partners legs :)

the_phoenix wrote:
It's an unpaid volunteer job, right?

So it's up to you to decide how much enjoyment you get out of volunteering at the climbing wall,
whether it's worth it because it looks good on your resume,
or if the majority of people there are decent enough to make up for the nasty ones, etc.

If you're no longer enjoying this particular volunteer position,
you can always find other ways to occupy your time.

Meanwhile, since it's a volunteer job,
I wouldn't take comments from this so-called "boss" much to heart.

I love teaching the kids, it's why I do it and the satisfaction I get far outweighs this. I just grumble and get on with it :)

idonthaveanickname wrote:
Why would your boss say that it's fine when there's a sign right there? He sounds like a jerk to me, and so does the customer. If that ever happened to me, I'd go look for another job, 'cause that's not right. And you don't have to apologize for ranting. I understand.

True, they both acted like dicks! I do feel much better for having a moan, though.

Listener of all things noisy, viewer of all things bloody, writer of all things sh*t.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 4:53 pm

liveandrew wrote:

It's possibly true that he knew him. There is no one to go to as he's the owner. I can't say f**k you as I like working with the kids, plus my daughter gets to climb for free

I didn't mean it that way. If you practice a while you can make "f**k You Very Much" sound exactly like "Thank You Very Much" with a poor pronounciation of the the word "f**k" ,

watch this video

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Feb 2017, 4:58 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
liveandrew wrote:

It's possibly true that he knew him. There is no one to go to as he's the owner. I can't say f**k you as I like working with the kids, plus my daughter gets to climb for free

I didn't mean it that way. If you practice a while you can make "f**k You Very Much" sound exactly like "Thank You Very Much" with a poor pronounciation of the the word "f**k"

That vid just sounds like someone saying "f**k you very much"! Hmm, I couldn't do that. Thanks though :)

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 5:13 pm

liveandrew wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
liveandrew wrote:

I didn't mean it that way. If you practice a while you can make "f**k You Very Much" sound exactly like "Thank You Very Much" with a poor pronounciation of the the word "f**k"

That vid just sounds like someone saying "f**k you very much"! Hmm, I couldn't do that. Thanks though :)

I was partialy joking , just trying to make you laugh to forgot about things :D

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Feb 2017, 5:24 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
liveandrew wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
liveandrew wrote:

I was partialy joking , just trying to make you laugh to forgot about things :D

Well, it worked! It did make me giggle :) I'm now watching American Pie with wife and daughter and I've almost forgotten all about this morning.