Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2017, 3:55 pm

What do you think about smokers or do you smoke yourself? Why are there so many anti-smokers? I don't think anyone should have to be discouraged from smoking.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2017, 6:11 pm

My Uncle and his children are smokers. His ex-wife would smoke in the car with my sister and I in it. I am slightly annoyed with smokers whom get smoking related illnesses and use other people's money to pay for it.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2017, 9:57 pm

Exposing other people to second-hand smoke is cruel and evil. I was surprised to learn that public smoking bans are not as strict in the US as they are here in Canada and many other countries. They've also just recently made it illegal for people to smoke in their car with child in with them. My mother has asthma and allergies that are triggered by second hand smoke. I believe people smoking all around me when I was a kid are partly the reason I had such bad ear infections. My dad started smoking when he was only 9. And then he finally started getting all kinds of problems with his breathing and even a cold could put him in the hospital. He finally quit. :)

It really bugs me when smokers whine about their "rights" to smoke in public and in front of people. Maybe people should start peeing all over everything in public and in front of everyone too, even if there are bathrooms nearby, and then whine about their "public peeing rights" when they get arrested and told how gross and unhealthy that is. I saw that in a comic strip once. :)

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2017, 10:29 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Exposing other people to second-hand smoke is cruel and evil. I was surprised to learn that public smoking bans are not as strict in the US as they are here in Canada and many other countries. They've also just recently made it illegal for people to smoke in their car with child in with them. My mother has asthma and allergies that are triggered by second hand smoke. I believe people smoking all around me when I was a kid are partly the reason I had such bad ear infections. My dad started smoking when he was only 9. And then he finally started getting all kinds of problems with his breathing and even a cold could put him in the hospital. He finally quit. :)

It really bugs me when smokers whine about their "rights" to smoke in public and in front of people. Maybe people should start peeing all over everything in public and in front of everyone too, even if there are bathrooms nearby, and then whine about their "public peeing rights" when they get arrested and told how gross and unhealthy that is. I saw that in a comic strip once. :)

If you are okay with answering, how does a nine year old pick up smoking?

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2017, 10:34 pm

i'm alright with vaping but people i live with smoke like a packet a day wasting £100's per week but don't know if its intentional but smoke in places they shouldn't realy smoke, like the kitchen for example, and they use the sink as their ashtray and i hate that I have to shove them out the way just to use the kitchen, its like them smoking makes them more arrogant. It fills the kitchen with smoke, even if they say the smoke gets blown away by the open window, I still get the smell flowing throughout the house, but its the reality i have to deal with, and any smoking related illness i may get will be on them- although its not like I can move elsewhere, having walking pneumonia and all.

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2017, 1:26 pm

BettaPonic wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

Yeah. Where do they get the cigarettes from? Are their parents buying them cigarettes? If parents are buying cigarettes for their nine-year-old they're not good parents.

PIgeek
Raven
Raven

27 Feb 2017, 1:52 pm

if a thing smells awful, and it causes me cancer, i feel justified when i say "i don't want it, stay away from me". talking about cigarettes, of course, talking about weed i think it is about personal freedom and i think it is ok.
but i can't judge anyone because their habits and i think no one can.

and the white knight is talking backwards
and the red queen is off with her head
remember what the dormouse said
feed your head, feed your head"

White rabbit -
Jefferson Airplane

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

28 Feb 2017, 4:20 am

I believe people should have the rite to smoke if they're over 18 but I don't believe people should be forced to be exposed to 2nd hand smoke. I have bad allergy & sinus problems & smoke can exasperate it.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2017, 5:56 am

I'm extremely anti-smoking.

I believe it's an unintelligent and weak act - why would anyone deliberately and voluntarily do something that they know carries a big health risk? - and is, more importantly, inconsiderate. Most smokers don't care about the discomfort and harm they can do to others.

If someone wants to smoke in their own back garden/yard, away from everyone else, then they've a right to go ahead and damage their own body. But most smoke around other people, and many also leave their cigarettes around as litter.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2017, 7:52 am

Back in the day I used to smoke joints but ever since I saw my friend lose her front tooth at a festival I never went near it again, her teeth kinda greyed and looked like they were dying and she had to spend a fortune to get it corrected. I just use edibles now.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2017, 8:02 am

I've never really thought much about it. For me seeing people do stuff is like I was watching it on TV and only paying half attention.

I've never had anyone smoke cigarettes close enough to me that bothered me that I remember.

Except my dad smokes a cigar on the back patio Friday night after dinner. And sometimes I sit next to him. But I like it. And he keeps the smoke away from me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2017, 9:24 am

I grew up in a time when every adult seemed to smoke. I've sort of gotten used to it---but it does bother me more than it used to.

My father was a four-pack-a-day man (when cigarettes cost about 30 cents a pack!). When they came out with the groundbreaking Surgeon General's report in 1964, my father quit, cold turkey. He didn't want to die. He's still going strong at 84 years of age.

My mother continued to smoke until the 1980s. I'm not exactly sure why she quit; I would assume for health reasons. But I'm glad she did. Except for one chronic disease (a young person's disease, ironically), my mother is quite healthy at age 82.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2017, 10:01 am

BettaPonic wrote:
I am slightly annoyed with smokers whom get smoking related illnesses and use other people's money to pay for it.

Under this logic we should deny health care to everyone who has had a fried chicken :P

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2017, 10:59 am

dcj123 wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
I am slightly annoyed with smokers whom get smoking related illnesses and use other people's money to pay for it.

Under this logic we should deny health care to everyone who has had a fried chicken :P

There is a difference. If you have fried chicken regularly and get sick, then I agree. I am not saying someone who smokes one pack should get denied healthcare. I am saying regular smokers.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2017, 8:58 am

BettaPonic wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

I know this isn't directed towards me, but laws about who could buy cigarettes were nonexistent back then. I'm only 39 (I mean only as in I am younger than lostonearth's dad has to be) and when I was a child my mother would send me to the corner store to get her not only a pack of Marlboro Light 100's but beer as well and the clerk would sell them to me. I did that before the age of ten. I don't know when the laws came into existence about that stuff, but even after they did exist, most stores did not abide by them anyway. That enforcement came later. I bought my own cigarettes as a young person and no one ever carded me or anything.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2017, 8:55 pm

I find smoking disgusting, with the exception of tobacco-free vaping and shisha.

It hurts my throat regardless though so it's not entirely for me.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~