Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2017, 9:05 pm

I don't like cooking. It takes too long, and I have other things I want to do with my time. The most I can usually bring myself to do is throw some stuff in my crock pot and leave it on all day. That leaves me eating microwave meals most of the time. Anyone have some good, easy/fast recipes that are actually healthy? They don't even have to be recipes, they could just be something I could throw on my plate and call it a meal. Or maybe a healthy microwave meal, if such a thing exists? Just two things: 1. I have a big appetite, so it can't be something that's only healthy if I'm still hungry afterwards, and 2. I don't like salads. Lettuce, cabbage, tomatoes, cucumbers, raw onions, pretty much anything that typically goes into a salad, I don't like, even when I'm eating them individually.

Any ideas?

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2017, 9:08 pm

I'm assuming you mean something short. Cooking shows have a good variety of healthy, mostly cheap, and meals that you can make in less than forty-five minutes. I'm sure you know where to find the cooking channel. Also, you can go to their website. It's much better than having to copy it down from the screen. Good luck on your journey!

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2017, 8:47 am

ThisAdamGuy wrote:
I don't like cooking. It takes too long, and I have other things I want to do with my time. The most I can usually bring myself to do is throw some stuff in my crock pot and leave it on all day. That leaves me eating microwave meals most of the time. Anyone have some good, easy/fast recipes that are actually healthy? They don't even have to be recipes, they could just be something I could throw on my plate and call it a meal. Or maybe a healthy microwave meal, if such a thing exists? Just two things: 1. I have a big appetite, so it can't be something that's only healthy if I'm still hungry afterwards, and 2. I don't like salads. Lettuce, cabbage, tomatoes, cucumbers, raw onions, pretty much anything that typically goes into a salad, I don't like, even when I'm eating them individually.

Any ideas?

First and foremost I would suggest learning to like veggies. I didn't like veggies once, I like them now. I strongly believe that you can learn to like any food.

If you feel like you can't, I would suggest eating nutrient dense foods from other food groups. Eggs for example, are extremely nutrient dense. We also have salmon, variety of others meats, fruits, berries, nuts, dairy. Also supplement with a daily multi vitamin.

NeilM
Toucan
Toucan

13 Mar 2017, 8:24 am

Give this a try---

Baked Fish Filets

4 Fish filets, frozen (tilapia, cod, whatever)
1 lb. bag of frozen mixed vegetables
Some frozen french fries
Butter or margarine
Parsley, dried
Oregano
Paprika
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 375.

Line a cookie sheet with tin foil and then hit it with cooking spray. Remove the filets from packaging and arrange in middle of cookie sheet. Arrange the mixed veg and french fries around the filets. Place a couple dots of butter/marg on each filet. Salt everything, a little pepper and pinches of the the spices on the filets. Into the oven for 25 - 30 minutes and you are done. You can test the fish by sticking a fork in one and it should flake apart easily.

You have not only a good meal for right now but 3 more for the next few days. Rock and roll.

AQ = 38 MBTI = ISTJ Gender = Non-binary
I strive not to perseverate. You can PM me for more info.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 12:36 pm

I wish I could cook better, too. Being vegetarian and an inadequate cook certainly makes my diet rather basic. To make matters worse about the longest time I'm willing to wait around for some food to be ready to get converted to glucose is about 5 minutes, so I end up eating a lot of microwaved rice. Also have a habit of eating bags of ready-washed watercress and rocket as others would eat a bag of crisps, which I guess says it all for my take on preparing food. And yet despite all of this, I can spend a solid ten minutes selecting a good bottle of red. :)

NeilM
Toucan
Toucan

15 Mar 2017, 10:36 am

Let me refer you folks to allrecipes.com. Their recipes are seemingly endless plus you can search not only on what you want to start with, such as hamburger or tofu, but you can exclude stuff you want to leave out. I like this last feature since I am allergic to eggs. That way I can find recipes for meat loaf, pancakes, etc that do not require egg. And I searched on "easy recipes" and they had lots of suggestions along that line too. Hope it helps.

AQ = 38 MBTI = ISTJ Gender = Non-binary
I strive not to perseverate. You can PM me for more info.

pasty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Mar 2017, 11:00 am

I mostly live off of Amy's Kitchen frozen meals. I highly recommend them. They aren't full of fillers and garbage like other frozen meals. The burritos have actual beans and not starchy bean paste. With your appetite, you might like their family size meals. Check out their website. www.amys.com

Keigan
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Mar 2017, 1:58 pm

I buy fresh and eat it raw or baked so veggies are still crunchy. Walnuts and dark chocolate into the blender to make butter.

My one big meal is a smoothie, after that I nibble throughout the day.