Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

W91T
Toucan
Toucan

01 Mar 2017, 3:04 pm

I don't know what's happening, but ever since I began in secondary school (or high school technically) I've almost not been able to write long texts like short stories and essays, which is weird because I had no problems doing that before. Anyone who knows what this is and what I can do to solve this problem?

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2017, 3:34 pm

W91T wrote:
I don't know what's happening, but ever since I began in secondary school (or high school technically) I've almost not been able to write long texts like short stories and essays, which is weird because I had no problems doing that before. Anyone who knows what this is and what I can do to solve this problem?

Having been a paid writer for some years, the best thing to fix writer's block, is to commit a verbal download to paper. It doesn't really matter what you start writing, but, after the first few sentences, your writing should begin to be about whatever topic you are supposed to discuss. Like this:

"Wow. What to write. I had some coffee a few minutes ago. Maybe that will help me get going. My topic is supposed to be about 'why traffic speed limits are a great idea.' Of course, I agree with speed limits, especially when I am driving around town trying to find that one store that sells the shoes I like. On lazy days like that, the last thing I want from other drivers is them rushing me. Speeding worries me and causes me to make mistakes. I have had a few near-misses over the years, and I try to avoid speeding. So, from my point of view, there are three things I try to remember while driving: 1) nothing is more important than my safety, 2) if it takes me a few extra minutes to arrive, who cares? and 3) I would hate being the person who ruins someone else's day by causing an accident...."

Well, you see how starting out about coffee turned into writing about my assignment, which turned into how my assignment affects my life. Once you get that far into writing a story, you can add details, lists and examples. Then, when you are finished writing, chop off the first few sentences so no one will know you had writer's block in the first place!

Good luck.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 2:34 pm

The prime method among many writers and I'd say what AspieUtah is referring to is: Lower your damn standards! 8)

School's among the worse. So maybe, find some Internet sites just for fun, such as science fiction, politics, movie reviews?

Start earlier, make a conscious decision not to make a big deal about it, and just cruise through it. School is generally looking for conventional writing. When a professor makes statements to the contrary, he or she is basically laying a trap, for at least in my experience I will later be told, yes, I want something creative, but it still has to follow the rules, meet the assigned, etc, [or you fill in whatever words or phrases you want for conventional]. I took a college literature course as recently as 2014 at age 51.

W91T
Toucan
Toucan

26 Mar 2017, 1:31 pm

Thank you! Well, I guess I'm very picky about what to write, maybe it helps.