CoQ10 supplement for alertness -- any other experiences?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2017, 4:16 pm

As I just mentioned in another thread, in the past year I've tried the supplements GABA, 5-HTP, and Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10), which a number of people here and elsewhere have recommended, with varying results. GABA was generally positive, 5-HTP was quite negative. I've just recently been trying CoQ10 and the results also seem to be quite positive.

I'd be glad to hear anyone else's experience. Reports online claim that CoQ10 helps with general fatigue, and that does seem to be the effect I've been experiencing. I generally feel more alert with some improvements in concentration. If those are aspie-related problems you have, you might want to give it a try. I'm taking 200mg in the morning with food. I think the local price was about $20 for 80.

There Are Four Lights!

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 6:54 pm

Hey, thought I should mention I decided on an alertness supplement strictly for taking in the mornings; I noticed one of the principal ingredients is CoQ10, so although the nootropic seems to mostly base it's wow factor on Alpha GPC / choline, CoQ10 has the second biggest dosage at 150mg daily - I'll let you know how I get on with it. :)

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 8:30 pm

^ It's good to see it being marketed that way -- it confirms my experience so far. The amount I'm taking is 200mg, so it's similar.

I've also seen CoQ10 paired with L-Carnitine, but I haven't looked into that combination and don't know the rationale for it. Maybe someone else here knows.

There Are Four Lights!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2017, 10:05 pm

I don't know if it's related or not, but in the couple weeks since I started with the CoQ10 supplement, I certainly feel like I've been eating a lot more. That's not a desirable side effect, although I suppose it may be just related to the changing weather.

There Are Four Lights!

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

17 Mar 2017, 2:22 am

I looked it up on WebMD & it said :arrow:

Quote:
Taking 100 mg a day or more of CoQ10 has caused mild insomnia in some people. And research has detected elevated levels of liver enzymes in people taking doses of 300 mg per day for long periods of time. Liver toxicity has not been reported.

Other reported side effects include rashes, nausea, upper abdominal pain, dizziness, sensitivity to light, irritability, headache, heartburn, and fatigue.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2017, 6:38 pm

200 mg per day sounds like a very high dosage to me. I've taken 30 mg per day for the last 10 years. I don't know whether this supplement has had much of a benefit for me or not, as I don't know what shape I'd have been in had I not taken it.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2017, 7:12 pm

^ The first bottle I bought was 200mg. I didn't have any insomnia problems (more than usual), but when that bottle was gone I got a 100mg bottle, and am still using that. I does seem to help with alertness, so I'm continuing with it for now. Perhaps I'll try 50mg next time when this bottle runs out.

There Are Four Lights!

Muziek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Apr 2017, 1:03 am

I take 100mg per day. I have been taking it for years, and will continue to do so.

As a musical term for sure, "the '80s" imply the late '70s and early '90s. You can think of them as tapers of this golden decade.