Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

morimori
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Mar 2017, 9:20 pm

So I was diagnosed by an agency that pretty much denied I was experiencing the symptoms and difficulties that lead me to seeking a diagnosis in the first place. They did in fact diagnose me with autism, but in the evaluation they said that I DID NOT experience any of the things I reported and that my difficulties were solely social.

I've parted with the agency because my therapist pretty much told I only suffered from low self esteem and anxiety, and that I couldn't possibly be in as much distress as I am because I work two jobs and that I wasn't really experiencing autism burnout or meltdowns. Which is ironic, because I had a meltdown after pretty much every appointment in my car the parking lot ("hey kids, don't mind me, I'm just an adult screaming and punching myself in the head, not much to see here, move along").

I wanted to be evaluated because I NEED accommodations at my job. My current employers have given them to me without asking for a doctors note (or any explanation, really), but now I feel at a loss what to do if they decide to turn around and ask for one (or if I have a job in the future that asks for one), considering these people are adamant that I don't have executive disfunction or sensory sensitivities.

Am I overreacting? Is just having a diagnosis enough to get accommodations? Is this piece of paper enough?

Advice?

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2017, 9:26 pm

morimori wrote:
So I was diagnosed by an agency that pretty much denied I was experiencing the symptoms and difficulties that lead me to seeking a diagnosis in the first place. They did in fact diagnose me with autism, but in the evaluation they said that I DID NOT experience any of the things I reported and that my difficulties were solely social.

I've parted with the agency because my therapist pretty much told I only suffered from low self esteem and anxiety, and that I couldn't possibly be in as much distress as I am because I work two jobs and that I wasn't really experiencing autism burnout or meltdowns. Which is ironic, because I had a meltdown after pretty much every appointment in my car the parking lot ("hey kids, don't mind me, I'm just an adult screaming and punching myself in the head, not much to see here, move along").

I wanted to be evaluated because I NEED accommodations at my job. My current employers have given them to me without asking for a doctors note (or any explanation, really), but now I feel at a loss what to do if they decide to turn around and ask for one (or if I have a job in the future that asks for one), considering these people are adamant that I don't have executive disfunction or sensory sensitivities.

Am I overreacting? Is just having a diagnosis enough to get accommodations? Is this piece of paper enough?

Advice?

If you were, in fact, diagnosed with autism, you should be (have been) given a written assessment describing your diagnosis. Armed with that assessment, you could quietly appear at any other (better) clinic, and seek counseling or other diagnoses of comorbid disorders (anxiety, depression or obsessive-compulsions) by its staff. They would very likely confirm your autism diagnosis, too, but this time, with more care and accuracy. Good luck!

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

B19
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2017, 10:21 pm

You are far from alone in this frustrating experience. I think the Autism Women's Network is a useful resource with articles and comment about it, if you care to google that. This may also be of interest:

https://visualvox.wordpress.com/links-a ... nd-autism/

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2017, 3:01 am

The nearly complete emphisis on the social issues of autism by society is very harmful.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman