I need help ( Aspi or not aspi that is the question )

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

SCob
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Mar 2017, 4:39 pm

Hello everyone,

I live in France, im 24 years old. The doctors here dont have a lot of information about the asperger syndrome and its very difficult to have an appointment with a specialized doctor.

I started to question myself when i went on a vacation to the USA and i met my family there, 3 of my cousins ( 3 different families ) have severe autism. When i saw them i kind of understood them i dont why, they used to do things i used to do when i was younger as walking in circles for hours, and when i sit until now i have to do back and forth movements, before sleeping i have to rock backwards and forwards.

I didnt have a lot friends at school, i used to read during the break and i'm addicted to music!!

The other problem i have is that i dont like to be touched, if it happens i feel a kind of eletctricity and especially by men, i get frustated and i panick, i dont know if its an asperger thing or i have a mental problem, but if someone who likes me look at me in the eyes i panick and i get cold.

I hate when there's too much people, if there's too much noise or the noises are not at the same level i have to change the room or leave.

I get angry very easily if something is disturbing me, if someone is eating and making noises i can become crazy, if a door makes sound while closing i become crazy.

I blank stare a lot and become cold, sometimes i feel like i dont have the same emotions as others. There are things that make normal people happy but for me i dont see the point but if hear a song i can be very happy and sometimes its like im gonna have an eargasm and i have goosebumps.

I hang with people that are interesting for me, i like to argue hours and hours about important questions as life, the meaning of it and about humans and choices etc.

The other problem is that i had a difficult life, my parent weren't easy, they used to fight and i saw a lot of violent stuff when i was younger so i dont know if the way i feel and see things comes from my chilhood or if i have asperger syndrome or maybe a mental problem. Especially my problem with men, its really difficult, i never really had a relationship.

Can someone help me ?

SC

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2017, 7:58 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet

France certainly is a rough place for autistics. We have a whole Wrong Planet thread about how autism is viewed and treated in France.

While we can not diagnose you have written that you have core traits associated with autism. And there is a strong genetic component to autism so having autistic family members increase the chances of one being autistic. It is important to note that it is common to have other mental conditions/illness and autism sometimes caused by mistreatment because of autistic traits.

Next time you vacation in the states you should discuss with your family your suspicions.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

SCob
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Mar 2017, 5:32 am

Thank you for message :)

I understand that i can't be diagnosed here..but i wanted to know if it happens to have the apersger syndrome and develop other mental problems, and if there is, what are the most common mental illness for an aspi ?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 10:50 am

COMORBID DISORDERS WITH AUTISM & ASPERGERS

Sensory atypicality is now part of the Autism Spectrum Diagnostic criteria

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 03 Mar 2017, 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 10:55 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:

I used this organization's various comorbid descriptions in my own written descriptions which I used at my autism assessment.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

SCob
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Mar 2017, 2:50 pm

thank you very much.

idonthaveanickname
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Mar 2017, 3:38 pm

SCob wrote:
Hello everyone,

I live in France, im 24 years old. The doctors here dont have a lot of information about the asperger syndrome and its very difficult to have an appointment with a specialized doctor.

I started to question myself when i went on a vacation to the USA and i met my family there, 3 of my cousins ( 3 different families ) have severe autism. When i saw them i kind of understood them i dont why, they used to do things i used to do when i was younger as walking in circles for hours, and when i sit until now i have to do back and forth movements, before sleeping i have to rock backwards and forwards.

I didnt have a lot friends at school, i used to read during the break and i'm addicted to music!!

The other problem i have is that i dont like to be touched, if it happens i feel a kind of eletctricity and especially by men, i get frustated and i panick, i dont know if its an asperger thing or i have a mental problem, but if someone who likes me look at me in the eyes i panick and i get cold.

I hate when there's too much people, if there's too much noise or the noises are not at the same level i have to change the room or leave.

I get angry very easily if something is disturbing me, if someone is eating and making noises i can become crazy, if a door makes sound while closing i become crazy.

I blank stare a lot and become cold, sometimes i feel like i dont have the same emotions as others. There are things that make normal people happy but for me i dont see the point but if hear a song i can be very happy and sometimes its like im gonna have an eargasm and i have goosebumps.

I hang with people that are interesting for me, i like to argue hours and hours about important questions as life, the meaning of it and about humans and choices etc.

The other problem is that i had a difficult life, my parent weren't easy, they used to fight and i saw a lot of violent stuff when i was younger so i dont know if the way i feel and see things comes from my chilhood or if i have asperger syndrome or maybe a mental problem. Especially my problem with men, its really difficult, i never really had a relationship.

Can someone help me ?

SC

I'll try to help you. A lot of what you posted sounds like autistic traits like rocking back and forth, not liking to be touched, sensitivity to eye contact and noise and a blank stare. I have those, too, except for the rocking back and forth. Only rarely do I do that. My life wasn't easy, either. I've already cheated death twice, once when I was born and in September of 2014 when I overdosed on heroin. I was born a crack baby, all blue and not breathing. I also had that high pitched cry when I was brought back to life. I didn't find this out until 10 years ago. My mom was taking at least 50 different kinds of prescription strength pain killers when she was pregnant with me. Even after I was born, she was still popping pills and couldn't take care of me, so she dropped me off at her parents' house and I grew up with them until I was 14. I can go on and on about my life, but I won't. I'll just say it was difficult with my Asperger's and substance abuse. I, too, have had problems with men. I've been in a bunch of relationships and they all turned out badly. They were all abusive in some way. Now I can't even trust men anymore. I try to stay away from them, but still find myself liking particular ones when I think that they like me. But I can't afford to be in a relationship right now because I need to focus on myself and my recovery. I like that word "eargasm". I thought that was funny. So I'm going to guess that you do have Asperger's. I'm not a psychiatrist or anything, I'm just going by what you described. Ok, I hope this helped you and I wish you the best of luck!

SCob
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Mar 2017, 7:44 pm

Hey idonthaveanickname,

First of all, im sorry for my english, im french..and second i dont have the right vocab to explain myself but thank you for sharing this with me. It's nice to see that i'm not alone..You're life wasnt easy but if you're here until now it means that you're a strong woman and you're courageous,, you just need time to heal. I know that because it wasnt easy for me either.
And I have the same problem as you with men, i decided to not start a relationship before i get better..I dont want to bring someone down with me, i have to heal myself first.

I'd like to talk to know more about you, if it's possible can you PM me ?

thank you!