Do you eat enough fruit and veg ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 12:05 am

Like a lot of people ,I guess, I don't eat enough veg. Perhaps that's not surprising given the number of ready/take away meals I eat.
I do wonder how to eat more veg with my ready meals. Like how do you microwave the veg and the microwave meal at the same time?
Being a Philistine I tend to put the ready meal container straight in the microwave then eat straight from the container.

I guess I could buy those microwave pouches of veg but always think you pay a premium price for those.

I also hardly eat any fruit. Only occasionally buying those fruit in natural juice that come in plastic pots or packets of frozen fruit,neither of which are cheap.

I did try buying fresh fruit once with an online order. It was cheaper but over half of it went off before I could eat it. I've never tried doing that since.

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 12:16 am

Sometimes I eat enough fruit & veggies, and get the pasta that has vegetables already blended in or eat unsweetened applesauce and add cinnamon to flavor it.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 12:48 am

I used to get a pasta mix with Mediterranean veg but the supermarket I shop from stopped selling it.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 2:24 am

I'm a vegetarian :)
A cheaper way to buy fresh veg may be co-ops or farmer's markets. I've found this recently, as I do but a lot of just straight up vegetables - supermarket chain prices are disgraceful. You can also just buy a few items in a co-op or market, don't have to buy a whole bag.
If you are able to cook, perhaps you could make your own ready meals? Cook a whole heap of something nutritional, then package and freeze it, and microwave as usual when you want during the week? I do this sometimes. It's also a good tip to disguise some veg or other nutritionally good-for-you foods in this way, such as dahl.
You could also try steaming veg and adding a sauce. This isn't any trouble for those who hate cooking - just steam them over boiling water, stir through a ready-made sauce.
I make most of mine from scratch because I love to cook, but there are some sneaky ways around it if you don't.

Hippygoth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Mar 2017, 3:33 am

No, I don't eat nearly enough. I have some really nice recipes but when the time comes to cook I often don't have the energy. I have maybe three of my 10-a-day, most days.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 4:13 am

I think people are right about ready meals. My main barriers to cooking from scratch are (1) lack of motivation (2) getting my head to together to sort out what to cook and buying the ingredients (3) being able to buy ingredients that don't go off before I get to use them. I online grocery shop and use by dates are often very short(4)limited cooking skills. I am not good with stuff that requires lot of ingredients and steps to cook .
If I cook from scratch I'm very much a one pot,frying pan,casserole dish person. I like my meat but one thing I'm semi paranoid about is the cost of it. I'm usually thinking I can buy 2 ready meals for just the cost alone of the meat that goes into a casserole.
Then when it comes to potatoes there's the peeling them and the fact it takes me ages to peel anything.

Re the cost of meat someone said to stop eating meat. I'm not sure I could stop meat as I like it. At least not through buying the supermarket vegetarian products most of which are fairly revolting/uninspiring .
I had a spell of buying a heap of frozen vegetarian products a while back and most of them I'd have to be in a masochistic frame of mind to buy again.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

03 Mar 2017, 4:34 am

I'm a very picky eater & don't eat fruit but I do eat some vegetables like corn, carrots, peas, beans, & potatoes. I usually have half a can of some veg after I eat my cereal for breakfast.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition