Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Moccamaster
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Mar 2017, 6:58 am

I tend to (often) get stuck in front of the computer or on the phone reading about something interesting, looking at pictures etc. Sometimes it´s about my current obsession and sometimes it´s just random things I find interesting at the moment. A lot of times this happens at work and I feel so bad about it. I do the things I´m supposed to, but I know I can work harder and that´s why I feel kind of lazy.

I have realised (when I´m near 40!) I need routine and more defined duties. My work is flexible and often I can decide for myself the schedule for the day. I work as a counsellor and I have thoughts about quitting my job and study care administration because of my language skills and because I don´t want to work with people anymore. I meet people with serious problems and I don´t think that is the right thing for me (or them). Often I have real performance anxiety because I want people to get well and to be a good counsellor. Right now I´m so tired and I really need a change.

How do you function at work? Have you changed your path (regarding work) in mid-life?

sos72
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Mar 2017, 7:24 am

Moccamaster wrote:
How do you function at work?

I was able to quit... but prior to that I changed jobs 3 times, probably an extremely small number for some people here but still a lot for what I did... I just couldn't stand having to deal with difficult peers (starting to realize maybe it was me) in already stressful situations...

Moccamaster wrote:
Have you changed your path (regarding work) in mid-life?

Trying very hard to reboot midlife to something that is more suited to what I am naturally good at (computers and math... not people) but I am finding it very difficult due to ZERO network and ZERO work specific skills... why do I need a $400+ certificate aimed at computer noobs when I have already built more computers than I can count including a $300 dollar router that could probably handle a small business...

and yea... what you are describing definitely sounds like an EF problem...