AS and Methodological Doubt, being realistic about certainty

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Cryoshakespeare
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Mar 2017, 11:06 am

Hi there, I've come here to ask fellow AS people for their perspectives on a topic:

I find, despite being AS, that I am quite secure and comfortable with doubt, despite what I've read about AS people often engaging in rigid and "black and white" thinking styles. To me, I would be fooling myself if I believed my own mental representations of the world wholeheartedly, as even the greatest minds among us make continual mistakes and need to continually refine their ideas in getting "closer" to the truth (though even then, I'm skeptical about the existence of absolute truth in general).

So do any of you fellow AS people have a similar experience of doubt? A love for doubt even, seeing it as integral to the process or ideal of becoming certain? Curious to hear your thoughts.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 10:08 pm

I've been accused of "black and white thinking" in the past. I'm sure (99.9%) that I still ascribe to some absolutes, and frankly in many cases it makes life easier to do so (the floor is so likely to support me that I will say it will support me). I'm unable to cling to a demonstrably false belief for "comfort", but I may also be subject to unrealistic expectations of what "demonstrably false" entails. I intend not to do this, but can't be sure in every case I haven't.

I hope at least to always be granted a chance to accept an inconvenient reality if someone thinks they have the evidence to support it.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2017, 4:58 am

Black and White thinking can cause doubt because most often the world and the people in it are "grey". People without rigid thinking are better able to deal with life's inconstanties and incongruities.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2017, 9:38 am

It's always better for people on the Spectrum to think in terms of a Spectrum of colors as they pertain to their notions of everything.

Black and white thinking is way too narrow.

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2017, 4:52 pm

Philosophically, I believe doubt and the ability to maintain a critical stance are useful and important. In the moment, however, I revert to rigidity just as much as the next person with AS.