What if you don't have good social skills?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Mar 2017, 12:58 pm

Everyone says that it is important to have good social skills to be successful in life. They say that you need to have good communication and social skills for jobs and relationships. What do you do if you don't have good social skills? Many of us on this site lack social skills that we need throughout our lives. All throughout grade school, I had very few friends and I never did anything with them outside of school. Being around people my own age made me uncomfortable because I did not know how to relate. I would feel more comfortable talking to the adults than my peers. During my last 2 years of high school, I really tried to make friends and do things with people. The thing is is that I like having people to do things with, but I don't like the socializing part. Even now, I still have a hard time with communication. I've never dated, I've only ever had one job, and I just don't see my social skills improving any time soon. I still don't have many friends and I am alone most of the time. I would like to be more social, but I just don't know how.

ZachGoodwin
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2017, 8:28 pm

Recognize that even though it isn't easy making friends or a girlfriend, that it isn't the end of the world, or perhaps even the end of a good life. Recognize too that people hop from one person to the other, because their mind is set on priorities, not how bad or good of a person you are, but priorities. Some popular friends get many friend requests and many offers to hang out with someone, and they have to go with what benefits them the most. You have to rely on yourself first before getting a new friend or girlfriend. Believe me it sounds scary and stupid at first, but it's honestly the truth with other people.

My eldest brother for example is very sociable and very outgoing. Why? Because the people he is with know he can take care of himself first so that they don't have an issue with taking care of him.

Be independent first.