Why can't you wear trainers to a night club but can wear oth

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 10:19 am

...can wear other non-normal clothes like hoodies and jeans?

My brother was getting ready to go clubbing once, and he put on a jacket with a hood, and he wore jeans. But he had to wear shoes that weren't trainers.

How come night clubs don't allow trainers but allows other casual wear?

BTW in USA trainers are sneakers.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 10:30 am

In the USA night clubs are usually private property. The owners can have totally arbitrary rules.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2021, 7:41 pm

sorry to revitalise this thread... just noticed it when reading a different post.

Trainers are regarded as sports gear and associated with yobs, such as football hooligans

During the early 90s, it was ok to wear trainers, baggy jeans, tracksuits, hoodies etc.
In fact in 89/90, it was the fashion. Early rave, Acid house etc.

and for a few years it was all about human unity, peace and love.
Until the wanna be style guru's moved into dance music. Coming from other scenes that had a different dress code,
such as smart trousers, long sleeve designer shirts and smart boots etc.

Perhaps this was a bit of a throw back to the mods of the 60s, in some cases.

But after that, different clubs have different codes of dress.
Generally the main stream require people to wear smart casual.

I generally wear black trainers that are clean and made from suede, as outside a night club at night
if the door men look at my shoes, all they can generally see is that they are black and made of leather.

If i am wearing clean jeans (not work men clothes) and a shirt or long sleeve t-shirt,
then no problem

if on the other hand i am wearing white sports trainers and a pair of tracksuit bottoms
then i would get refused.

it is a night club after all...

Some of the more old school dance or alternative clubs allow you to wear what ever you want
and in some clubs, that can mean people will wear all sorts

i mean some of the dance music scenes people wear all sorts of crazy stuff
that is verging towards fetish or cosplay

all in the name of rock and roll / dance music

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2021, 7:43 pm

It is usually due to the type of flooring used as some wooden floor buildings black trainers tend to mark.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2021, 7:52 pm

Hoodies, jeans and trainers are normal clothes unless you're royalty lol.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2021, 7:54 pm

When I got chubby, I stopped wearing jeans.

Even when I lost the weight, I still wear chino-type pants (trousers).

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2021, 8:06 pm

I'm glad this thread got brought up again, as I'm still baffled as to why jeans and hoods are allowed but trainers aren't. Don't hoods count as "yob" clothes as well?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2021, 1:19 pm

My solution is to wear trainers that look like shoes...they do have those.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2021, 1:37 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I'm glad this thread got brought up again, as I'm still baffled as to why jeans and hoods are allowed but trainers aren't. Don't hoods count as "yob" clothes as well?

I think it is greatly due to fashion.
If you look at the different fashion trends that have come up over the past 40, 50 or even 60 years.
You will see that fashion is often closely paired the music that is popular during the times.

In the 60s, you have classic rock, the mods and the rockers, then the start of the psychedelic rock period.
The 70s, people started to grow their hair long and be hippies.
During the 80s, you had the new romantic, reggae, ska, the punks, as well as the power rock / heavy metal.
as well as Hip Hop!
The late 80s, dance music started off, and from there on-wards, you had the various rave fashions,
but also along side, various music trends, the hybrid dance "madchester", indie rock, Grunge etc.
Also during the 90s. also had the start of DnB, and further developments in metal, punk derivatives etc.
and since then, all sorts.

So it all depends as to what type of club you go to.
I have been to a fair amount of different night clubs in my time.

From earthy warehouses or even free illegal raves, where no one cares what you wear.
To run of the mill night clubs, where people expect you to wear smart clean jeans and shoes (or at least trainers that look like shoes).

Live music venues that care less about what you wear, as long as your there to enjoy yourself and there to spend money. no one cares what you look like, as long as you don't run around completely naked.

Some of the raves, don't really care that much about even nakedness, i have seen raves where the woman are topless.

There are also some clubs which are aimed at posher people, where shirt and tie are standard.
but in this day and age, they are rare, at least the ones open to the public.

Likely quiet a few that are private clubs that exclusive.

The hip hop fashion may explain why jeans and hoodies are now acceptable
although people into hip hop also generally wear sneakers

i think that the artists and dj's also have an influence on the dress code.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2021, 7:47 pm

Every pub/bar/club has different dress codes and rules about footwear and clothing. Some are quite strict, others very loose.

One place I worked was "No steel toes. (Very dangerous weapons in a bar fight) No Daytons. (local custom made motorcycle boots - high quality, but back then particular models of their boots were known as "s**t kickers," due to bar fights.) No gang colours. (Not so much street gangs at all, those colours are almost non-existent here. It's referring to Hell's Angels and other outlaw motorcycle gangs' leather vests & patches.)

As for no runners/sneakers/trainers etc - it has sweet F all ZERO to do with the types of soles making marks on floors, or not having proper traction etc and is 100% about the style of club & patron they want to be. If they want to project a swanky upscale trendy image and don't want people dressed like they just came out of the gym or just left school/college or whatever, then they can make their dress code rules whatever the hell they like and only allow people in that fit a particular image profile that they want to foster as what the place is and known for. Basically: You're going out for a night on the town, it should be special, and so should the people you share it with - so put in a little bit of effort and dress the part. Everyone's out spending time and money, and they want to Look Goooooood, and feel good, and not be rubbing elbows with some guy in grubby old running shoes - or even brand new expensive ones - If That's Not The Look & Feel that the owner/management want the vibe of the place to be. Just like fancy restaurants that Require a tie & jacket - it's not because people can't consume food without them, it's because That's the atmosphere they want the place to be & so everyone admitted must elevate their style and rise to the occasion.. or go somewhere else with lower standards if dressing up to their code isn't your thing.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2021, 11:32 pm

I'm guessing that the reason for that is because in Britain, trainers are associated with Chavs.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2021, 3:12 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'm guessing that the reason for that is because in Britain, trainers are associated with Chavs.

Very well could be correct. Dress codes at bars and clubs are to keep undesirable riffraff out - whoever they might be in that local area.

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

19 Feb 2021, 6:02 am

Being into punk there's rarely a dress-code where I choose to go and if there is it tends to favour how I look anyway. I do hate being told how to dress and the elitist attitude that comes with it though so I tend to avoid places with a dress-code anyway.

Joe90, you should try going to a night club looking as scruffy as you can in a tracksuit and hoodie but with really fancy shoes for a laugh :P

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Feb 2021, 6:07 am

goldfish21 wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
Very well could be correct. Dress codes at bars and clubs are to keep undesirable riffraff out - whoever they might be in that local area.

I think in UK, they may make such rules not to be the pub where groups of sports-fan hooligans go after a match.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

19 Feb 2021, 6:55 am

magz wrote:
I think in UK, they may make such rules not to be the pub where groups of sports-fan hooligans go after a match.

I got refused entry to a Wetherspoons once for wearing a football scarf :lol:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2021, 8:00 am

CockneyRebel wrote:

Yes but so are hoods, more so than trainers even.