Are you a history/language person or a math/science person?

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

History/language or math/science?
History/Language 48%  48%  [ 24 ]
Math/Science 20%  20%  [ 10 ]
Both 26%  26%  [ 13 ]
Neither 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
Unknown 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 50

Priola
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Mar 2017, 9:59 pm

I don't like history. Not because I don't have aptitude for it but because it makes me feel strange. Sometimes I have a very eerie feeling like I am leaving it when I am watching/reading history - don't ask me its just too intense for me for what reasons I don't know.

I am very good or was very good at learning new languages before I got into computer coding - after that it's just technical coding and learning computer languages.

With Math - I like it I can do it. Sometimes I was genius at math getting to the results faster than others. I was very good at statistics. But I am not a savant when it comes to numbers.
I always scored top marks in english literature, geography, chemistry, physics and Biology.

My obsession in school was Biology and Chemistry. After school I went on to study Bioscience (Bachelors) Neuroscience(masters), Public health (MPH) and statistics (MPH). So I guess I'm more on the Math/Science side. .

I was lab scientist - a molecular geneticist that I liked doing but got overwhelming and was not practical for me. I like fast paced jobs that let me breathe once in a while. My new job in computer coding fits perfectly. Quicker software lifecycles - infact we have the shortest timelines and get tasks that are quite manageable unlike research that takes forever and is a pain when you don't know where you're going - in genetics timelines are very long - you start with something in mind go somewhere else. your projects are sometimes discarded after years and years of hardwork and no results. It was not worth it for me. I can at least enjoy family time now and explore a few of my other interests in my free time. I guess I went off topic here with my rambling abt my old work. :lol:

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 12:33 am

Priola wrote:
I don't like history. Not because I don't have aptitude for it but because it makes me feel strange. Sometimes I have a very eerie feeling like I am leaving it when I am watching/reading history - don't ask me its just too intense for me for what reasons I don't know.

huhm...it's odd, sometimes, to think that all of history, everything tat has ever happened, has led up to the present moment which we mostly take for granted.

studying or reading about history to me, has parallels to observing ants in an ant farm.

Darmok wrote:
I'm one of those oddballs who is a bit of both, and probably not enough of either.

same here. i am studying (nonspecific) biology in college right now and i do enjoy it, having gotten more enjoyment from zoological concepts and taxonomy more, when compared to plants or microbiology (CRISPR, PCR, holliday junctions, etc), but i believe i am doing well there. i've gotten great scores on writing assignments for those courses...my intense fixation on history that i had last year has waned though, and it has been replaced by a massive resurgence in my conlanging interest, and i've started to study hebrew again.

cool. :jester: i don't see why they have to be mutually exclusive

where would "arts" fit into that? i imagine it would be nearer to "arts and history"...but that would imply that they lie on a spectrum, and i don't think that is how it is.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 8:21 am

Art and music can engage the whole brain, lighting it up like a disco ball.

I suspect Rick Astley and Omar Rodriguez-Lopez engage different parts of their brains when making songs, though. Perhaps math oriented people make music that differs in measurable ways than literature oriented people?

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 8:43 am

jrjones9933 wrote:
Art and music can engage the whole brain, lighting it up like a disco ball.

I suspect Rick Astley and Omar Rodriguez-Lopez engage different parts of their brains when making songs, though. Perhaps math oriented people make music that differs in measurable ways than literature oriented people?

It's completely possible. I've read a few articles on the topic. They also go on and say that known languages can affect your thinking. For example, apparently Estonian and Finnish speakers are "better thinkers" for the future, because their language has no future tense. They also say that speakers of tonal languages; such as Cantonese and Vietnamese, are better at picking out instruments in a song.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 8:59 am

Am I right in thinking that cultures with tonal languages are more likely to break an octave into more notes? Western music calls them 1/4 tones, but it seemed like even smaller increments when I watched a show about some older Japanese men training a young man to sing an ancient song. I couldn't hear a difference between what he was singing and what they were singing, but to their ears he did not have the correct pitch on one part.

Kovu
Raven
Raven

23 Mar 2017, 6:54 pm

I speak five languages.

Asperger is my superpower very literally.

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 6:58 pm

Kovu wrote:
I speak five languages.

I love languages, please tell me what languages you speak. I can assume English and Esperanto.

Crankymoose
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Mar 2017, 7:03 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
cool. :jester: i don't see why they have to be mutually exclusive

Definitely, I love both! I love the Tsar avatar too, what a spiritual man. Image

Always struggled on choosing whether to study history or engineering.

In the end went for engineering! :heart:

LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 7:14 pm

No.

I am a language/science person. Math is ok but history I cannot concentrate on.

Don't get me wrong I got good grades in school even in history class. But I enjoy studying language stuff and sciencey stuff, and have to force myself to do math. At my age and in my career path I can avoid history altogether.

More than any of these, though, I am an art/music person. And so not an athlete in any way at all. I never understood the kids who said their favorite class was gym.

Official diagnosis: Austism Spectrum Disorder Level One, without learning disability, without speech/language delay; Requiring Support

Kovu
Raven
Raven

24 Mar 2017, 12:08 pm

The Unleasher wrote:
Kovu wrote:
I speak five languages.

I love languages, please tell me what languages you speak. I can assume English and Esperanto.

Not really, I started to learn Esperanto very recently. I hope I get my own Pasporta Servo someday. I'm sick of how bad the West has become and I enjoy the ideas of traveling the World. I cannot take it anymore. My languages are English, Italian, Portuguese, French and Eurobeaner Spanish. Also very basic Catalan and basic Galician.

I hate Spanish a lot. Spanish people are nauseating.

Sometimes I feel like an educated Uncle Tom surrounded by ghetto thugs.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 3:05 pm

Kovu wrote:

hmm, puedes elaborar s'il vous plaît?

de cual gente are you talking about?

גם אני אוהבת traveling die Welt.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 10:45 pm

Kovu wrote:
The Unleasher wrote:
Kovu wrote:
I speak five languages.

Not really, I started to learn Esperanto very recently. I hope I get my own Pasporta Servo someday. I'm sick of how bad the West has become and I enjoy the ideas of traveling the World. I cannot take it anymore. My languages are English, Italian, Portuguese, French and Eurobeaner Spanish. Also very basic Catalan and basic Galician.

Have you ever tried other Spanish speaking countries? South America supposedly has a slow pace of life.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 12:14 am

Crankymoose wrote:
Definitely, I love both! I love the Tsar avatar too, what a spiritual man.

thanks! in the absence of other classes for my major that were immediately available/enrollable, i took russian history and i am not regretting it. 8)

i realize his contemporary title as "nicholas the bloody" was well earned because of 1905, failure in WWI, khodynka tragedy and others...but one can't help but martyrize him once in a while.

wonder what he would think of modern russia?

LyraLuthTinu wrote:
More than any of these, though, I am an art/music person. And so not an athlete in any way at all. I never understood the kids who said their favorite class was gym.

seems like those kids were not very academically inclined, and got bad grades...and thus appreciated a class (or "class") where they didn't have to worry about memorizing dates/formulas and they were graded on their physical activity.

for the more sporty of us, that can be a massive breather. i wasn't very athletic, but i appreciated being in track and field for two years where my studying was physical...while i was scrawny and easily tired, it was at least a little less stressful.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 10:51 am

I don't do well in math, but I like science and English a lot. I like history okay, but I tend to only be fascinated with certain time periods and not the subject as a whole.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 4:22 pm

TheSilentOne wrote:
I like history okay, but I tend to only be fascinated with certain time periods and not the subject as a whole.
I can relate a bit to that. In addition I find everyday life in the past much more interesting than the majority of the big events, which make up so much of history lessons. A topic I don't tire of is daily life in Norway during WW2. Not the battles, but how the day to day existence was for regular people like my grandparents.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

FreakyZettairyouiki
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 May 2017, 4:23 pm

I'm a mix of both but I've found that this mix isn't as definite or simple as I thought. I do better in classes where you have to be more logical like Math and Science, but I tend to like learning in my own way and using visuals and art to remember things. I am currently a pharmacy major now and I have realized I am not as much of a bookworm as I thought. I like to be creative on the side as well. While I may struggle to write analytical essays, I excel at creative writing and poems. I do well when I am not bound by rules and limitations, so situations where I can use my own logic and be creative in coming up with my own solutions. It's kind of made me to dislike my courses now because that kind of style is not fit for them. You need to be okay with learning by the book to be a Stem major and as I've grown older, I noticed that I don't like that.