Are you a history/language person or a math/science person?

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

History/language or math/science?
History/Language 48%  48%  [ 24 ]
Math/Science 20%  20%  [ 10 ]
Both 26%  26%  [ 13 ]
Neither 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
Unknown 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 50

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2017, 7:37 am

Language includes both foreign languages and classes centring around your primary language. Anyhow, it seems the stereotype is that many autistics lean towards math/science. Maybe it's true and it's due to there being less human interaction. I thought I'd just run this poll to find out.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 4:50 pm

My preferred learning style is what I call narrative / case study.

I can learn a technical subject, like when I took a microbiology class at age 48! But I rather need to translate it into my preferred style.

I learned through long and bitter experience that I do best if I take one technical class at a time (possible exception might be if I had real occasion to pre-study).

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

10 Mar 2017, 4:52 pm

Definitely history/language, no bueno @ math/science

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 5:14 pm

Here's a talk Temple Grandin gave back in 2007. She divides preferred intellectual style as:

1. Visual thinking – poor at Algebra

2. Music and Math

3. Verbal Logic Language Translation – poor at drawing

with some overlap of course, she adds.

Actually, I don't think Temple did that good a job explaining the third style because it's not her style! For example, I'm not great at foreign languages like Spanish although I wish I was. What I am good at is remember the story of Legionnaires' disease from Philadelphia in 1976, and the key may have been a bus driver who never entered the hotel but watching a parade in the street. That is, it's a technical subject that I understand in terms of narrative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgEAhMEgGOQ
please see 21:30 into Temple's speech

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 5:16 pm

I'm one of those oddballs who is a bit of both, and probably not enough of either.

There Are Four Lights!

Caesar
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Mar 2017, 8:40 pm

I prefer language because I find math pretty hard to do and English was my best subject in middle\high school.
I could also do a basic introduction about myself in German or French back in middle school but math has always been a hard and boring subject.

Science was also a subject I was pretty good at but I was always surprised that I got good grades for that subject lol

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2017, 9:02 pm

I love studying science. I am most interested in Biology especially ichthyology, evolutionary biology, botany, and anything relating to human population genetics. Go synapsids! Weird fact birds are a type of dinosaur.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2017, 10:29 pm

What about history/science?

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2017, 10:30 pm

248RPA wrote:
What about history/science?

It's possible. I just put the options I did, because I feel as if they're usually grouped together. :D

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Mar 2017, 11:06 am

Definitely history/languages for me. I was never great at maths. I still don't understand equations to this day. Science was a bit better but still something that I didn't do well in. Art and English were much stronger subjects for me at school as was History.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 1:11 pm

Definitely History/Language for me. History wasn't its own subject in the schools I attended, it was part of the subject we called 'samfunnsfag', which is about history, geography (which I didn't like at all) and contemporary society (culture, politics, current issues). Along with languages, it was what I liked best in school.
Biology was okay.

I was no good in math or sciences. Nor PE, drawing (technical or otherwise), woodwork or needlework for that matter.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 12:38 pm

SBC published an interesting paper, his group gave undergrads the SQ and EQ tests. He divided the undergrads into four populations

Physical science
Biological science
Social Science
Humanities

He found that for both male and female students as you go down these lists the students tend to have lower SQ and higher EQ scores. Thus a physical science has a mind which is closest to the autistic mind. So I would expect that if this theroy is right that the maths, physics and chemistry departments will have plenty of people with AS and other forms of autism. I know one unit in a chemistry department which at one time had four people who fitted the AS profile very well out of a total of 20 people in total.

The problem with the SQ and the EQ tests is that they may well be rather flawed.

For example the SQ test includes the question "Would you feel comfortable repairing the electrical wiring of your home ?".

This is a rather disversive, a person who knows nothing about electrical work would be likely to say "no" (I hope so), a person who has a little knowlege of how to do such work might vote "yes" (These are the ones which scare me most). Some people with a lot of experience of some types of electronics work like me would be inclined to vote "No". I hate doing house wiring work, it is uncomfortable work with things in odd places which forces me to adopt stress positions for a long time. Also some people who are experienced in electronics / electrical work other than house wiring in some parts of the world are not allowed to do the work by the electrical law (like the part P regulations in the UK). While in Germany any radioham has a "not for profit / reward" housewiring license (they are allowed to work on their own home but not someone elses.

In some parts of the world the person who has all the right training / permits to work with 20 kV DC on radar sets and TV transmitters can lake the permit required to legally do housewiring. So it is possible to be a very experienced electronics worker and not be allowed to do housewiring.

Also as a result of some things, in some parts of the world men are more likely to have learnt how to do housewiring and other similar work. So the test might have a sex bias. While this is only one question from the SQ test I am considering it is important to ask why fraction of adult women who have a autism diagnosis is lower than the fraction of men who have a diagnosis.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Mar 2017, 5:19 pm

I'm not good at either due to dyslexia & other related learning disabilities

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 5:21 pm

nick007 wrote:

Ah, are you possibly good at things in the athletic realm or do you just not know?

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 5:22 pm

Math with English minor, among others

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Mar 2017, 5:36 pm

The Unleasher wrote:
nick007 wrote:

Ah, are you possibly good at things in the athletic realm or do you just not know?
I'm not good with athletic stuff either. I'm an Aspie who doesn't have any special skills/strengths.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition