Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

somebody300
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Mar 2017, 4:41 am

I remember reading once about the possibility of the Internet waking up one day as a collective consciousness.
How do you think it might happen (if it can at all)? After all, the way the routers and machines are connected is very similar to a biological neural network. And the way some algorithms, such as those used by advertisement companies to suggest searches bear distant similarities to biological intelligence as well.

If it does happen, how do you think it will? Will it perhaps be because of someone releasing a worm that would propagate throughout the Internet and turn a part of it into a bunch of artificially intelligent machines (and routers, Internet-connected appliances, etc.)?

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 4:49 am

Alien technology.

That and reptilian overlords.

Seriously though, I think we are FAR away from that, we've only just begun figuring out AI in general. I think it is possible though with what we've already accomplished but I think it will be done with a new technology that we haven't even made yet which is far superior to the current ones we have and it just ends up absorbing all the information like a giant black hole of information.

This video may interest you btw, I was watching it earlier since it popped up on my subs.

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2021, 9:20 am

The worlds becoming a Dystopia of huge global tech companies, machines and data that companies have on us from our dna, blood count,they know our every move online more and more. They can mimic us, use predictive programming. The world is even trying to push the new agenda of ignoring basic biology.

I've noticed with the new age *spirituality and science* they're discussed how we're energy and talk about our minds being an electrical machine, which it is but they've done it cleverly to integrate man being part machine. Our future god is a machine and we're the heard. They've pushed 5g in the last few years and they won't help children in poverty with food but are willing to fund into them having a laptop. They've not long ago, published the idea of dreams being recorded, people reading other peoples minds, downloading the soul and human consciousness, which you can't do. They want everyone to become gender less, mind controlled robots. Designer babies eradicate flaws so the human condition is edited along with genes. Our bodies can't cope with radiation or electricity, hence the cancers and epilepsy.
The AI can detect emotions is another form of invasion of privacy.

With power comes great responsibility as they say, it's a double edge sword, technology can help us if we co exist with it and we can use the internet for greater things like educate, communicate but it can be used for all the wrong reasons in the wrong power of hands too and we may lose our abilities, to simply read a book or think for ourselves.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2021, 4:12 pm

I don't know whether its possible or not. What I'd like to know is how you test for it and how you verify that it's true consciousness. I mean, do we (I mean humanity) even have a scientific definition for consciousness? I don't know. Would machine consciousness necessarily operate the same way that biological consciousness does? Would we be able to understand it at all, or even recognise its existence?

I suppose the internet may already be conscious of its self, without having an independent centralised thought process. It may be aware, but have no agency like one of those people with locked-in syndrome. Scary thoughts.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2021, 3:47 pm

Artificial Intelligence (AI) works best when humans, and (AI) are augmenting each other in handling the day to day mundane agendas!

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2021, 11:23 am

DuckHairback wrote:
I don't know whether its possible or not. What I'd like to know is how you test for it and how you verify that it's true consciousness. I mean, do we (I mean humanity) even have a scientific definition for consciousness? I don't know. Would machine consciousness necessarily operate the same way that biological consciousness does? Would we be able to understand it at all, or even recognise its existence?

I suppose the internet may already be conscious of its self, without having an independent centralised thought process. It may be aware, but have no agency like one of those people with locked-in syndrome. Scary thoughts.

Mind blowing. The human cyborg worth a watch. A guy name Peter with locked in syndrome

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

10 Feb 2021, 1:16 am

Hmm, some thoughts that in the future when you order something it's all hologramic arriving through the net. A new keyboard or controller, a piano, a laser vegetable cutter, a sunbather, a hairdryer, a uv ray disinfectant, all about multiple types and mixes of rays, fans all included in the main computer.
Just don't mistake the gun function for the hairdryer.

Any topic, PM me; mind my profile.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2021, 3:08 pm

somebody300 wrote:
I remember reading once about the possibility of the Internet waking up one day as a collective consciousness.
How do you think it might happen (if it can at all)? After all, the way the routers and machines are connected is very similar to a biological neural network. And the way some algorithms, such as those used by advertisement companies to suggest searches bear distant similarities to biological intelligence as well.

If it does happen, how do you think it will? Will it perhaps be because of someone releasing a worm that would propagate throughout the Internet and turn a part of it into a bunch of artificially intelligent machines (and routers, Internet-connected appliances, etc.)?

Sounds cool in theory, would likely be a nightmare in practice.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2021, 3:23 pm

Aaaugh..... my Roomba. Is chasing me around the house . :D :D :D
It had been watching me , in a usually sentient expression on it charge lights .

where ever you go ,there you are

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

10 Feb 2021, 8:26 pm

Jakki wrote:
It had been watching me , in a usually sentient expression on it charge lights .

Lol. It must want to harvest you for your infrared energy.

blackomen
Toucan
Toucan

11 Feb 2021, 10:50 am

sorrowfairiewhisper wrote:
The worlds becoming a Dystopia of huge global tech companies, machines and data that companies have on us from our dna, blood count,they know our every move online more and more. They can mimic us, use predictive programming. The world is even trying to push the new agenda of ignoring basic biology.

I've noticed with the new age *spirituality and science* they're discussed how we're energy and talk about our minds being an electrical machine, which it is but they've done it cleverly to integrate man being part machine. Our future god is a machine and we're the heard. They've pushed 5g in the last few years and they won't help children in poverty with food but are willing to fund into them having a laptop. They've not long ago, published the idea of dreams being recorded, people reading other peoples minds, downloading the soul and human consciousness, which you can't do. They want everyone to become gender less, mind controlled robots. Designer babies eradicate flaws so the human condition is edited along with genes. Our bodies can't cope with radiation or electricity, hence the cancers and epilepsy.
The AI can detect emotions is another form of invasion of privacy.

With power comes great responsibility as they say, it's a double edge sword, technology can help us if we co exist with it and we can use the internet for greater things like educate, communicate but it can be used for all the wrong reasons in the wrong power of hands too and we may lose our abilities, to simply read a book or think for ourselves.

I'd rather live in this dystopia than one where Aspies are cut off from the rest of the world.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2021, 2:49 pm

Rexi wrote:
Jakki wrote:

AAAAAhhhhh........ Noooo.... ! Gonna wrap my body in tinfoil and hope it loses interest in me . 8O :D

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2021, 1:16 pm

Jakki wrote:
Rexi wrote:
Jakki wrote:

AAAAAhhhhh........ Noooo.... ! Gonna wrap my body in tinfoil and hope it loses interest in me . 8O :D

Oh no, that will only make you warmer and leak more, easier to harvest through conductible aluminium and also make you an antenna for all its siblings to join!

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2021, 4:29 pm

This is not fair , I had no idea , Roombas. Could create their own Siblings >>>>> run away >>>>>run away.>>