Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Here
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Mar 2017, 2:49 pm

Hello,

What are specific support services for savants skilled in music, technologies, and the arts?

Trusted advisors/advocates not only assist savants in managing business-related agendas, but also assist with general tasks of independent living; as trusted family members, and friends may not be able to assist fully.

Specific supports involve the presence of "third party" advisors to assist with transactions involving the purchase of vehicles, property transactions e.g., rental issues, as well as assistance in understanding, and filling-out paperwork.

After viewing many stories on savants (stories featured on the U.S. news-magazine show 60 MINUTES), it seems that quite a few stories came out of the UK. Hence, can UK agencies experienced with assisting savants offer examples of delivering support services?

Thank-you

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2017, 11:14 pm

Why would there be support services for savants? Savantism isn't disabling.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2017, 11:28 pm

Disability? No. Colossal pain in the a$$? You bet. I'm busy working my ex-boss over for nearly 8 months of back paychecks & that's for work as a professional hacker; self taught & all that.

Yeah my billing in the future will be STEEP.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2017, 11:40 pm

cberg wrote:
Disability? No. Colossal pain in the a$$? You bet. I'm busy working my ex-boss over for nearly 8 months of back paychecks & that's for work as a professional hacker; self taught & all that.

What does trying to get back pay have to do with savantism?

B19
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2017, 11:44 pm

OP, why do you think that people with savant abilities need assistance with independent living?

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2017, 11:57 pm

starkid wrote:
cberg wrote:

What does trying to get back pay have to do with savantism?

Well it seems my spectrum origins have engendered the delusion that I might work for free, so I really would not mind going through a secretary. :roll:

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Here
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Mar 2017, 3:25 pm

starkid wrote:

Let's remember the dichotomy with the Autism Spectrum: Hyper-focused interests/abilities in such areas as the arts, sciences, and technologies; yet, a fragile understanding with some difficulties in handling mundane day to day tasks.

Assisting savants on the Autism Spectrum even with High-Functioning Autism i.e., Aspergers to turn their focused interests into financial benefits involves trusted advisors to navigate the difficult "business-side" of affairs; a "business-side of the world" which is becoming ever more daunting even for neurotypicals (NTs).

Here in the U.S. the weekly news magazine 60 MINUTES has featured stories on savants. The PBS network (public television) has also featured stories on savants. Yet, what is rarely told is just how specifically supports for savants are developed, and maintained. It's also rarely mentioned that many people on the Autism Spectrum are prone to be "taken advantage of" more than NTs; hence the need for trusted supports!

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 3:45 pm

Here wrote:
starkid wrote:

Let's remember the dichotomy with the Autism Spectrum: Hyper-focused interests/abilities in such areas as the arts, sciences, and technologies; yet, a fragile understanding with some difficulties in handling mundane day to day tasks.

Assisting savants on the Autism Spectrum even with High-Functioning Autism i.e., Aspergers to turn their focused interests into financial benefits involves trusted advisors to navigate the difficult "business-side" of affairs; a "business-side of the world" which is becoming ever more daunting even for neurotypicals (NTs).

Here in the U.S. the weekly news magazine 60 MINUTES has featured stories on savants. The PBS network (public television) has also featured stories on savants. Yet, what is rarely told is just how specifically supports for savants are developed, and maintained. It's also rarely mentioned that many people on the Autism Spectrum are prone to be "taken advantage of" more than NTs; hence the need for trusted supports!

You still haven't explained why savants need supports. Your post is about autistic people who are savants, and contains no information that is specific to savantism. Not all savants are autistic, and, while autistic people might require support for autism, I see no reason why they would require it for savantism.

Here
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Mar 2017, 8:33 pm

starkid wrote:
Here wrote:
starkid wrote:

You still haven't explained why savants need supports. Your post is about autistic people who are savants, and contains no information that is specific to savantism. Not all savants are autistic, and, while autistic people might require support for autism, I see no reason why they would require it for savantism.

Yes, I'm referring to Savants on the Autism Spectrum.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 9:30 pm

Kim Peek was an example of a "prodigious savant" who needed assistance with everyday living. He can remember whole books after reading them once, but he had difficulty buttoning his shirt.

It should be noted that Mr. Peek turned out not to be autistic at all, but had something called "FG Syndrome."

There are savants who are able to function "normally." Others, though, because of the "emphasis" on localized sections of the brain, need assistance in various forms.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 10:11 pm

http://portal.ct.gov/en/Services/Health ... y-Services

In Connecticut government workers caring for the disabled have recently been laid off to help balance the budget.

https://ctmirror.org/2016/07/21/union-a ... e-layoffs/
“My name is Jenny,” she says to open the ad. “I was born with cerebral palsy. This computer is the only way I can communicate. Mallory is the only worker employed by the state of Connecticut who knew how to customize this computer so my voice can be heard. On May 3, Mallory was laid off. Governor, please bring back Mallory and all of the laid-off state workers. We need them.”