Page 5 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Do LGBTQ people have more reasons to be proud than Aspies?
1) Yes 28%  28%  [ 10 ]
2) No 50%  50%  [ 18 ]
3) Not sure 22%  22%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 36

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2017, 3:17 pm

Although being gay (or other LGBT) is a part of your life, it doesn't change and shape everything you do. Being autistic shapes and changes everything we do, sometimes more, sometimes less.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2017, 9:26 pm

I love the idea of an autistic pride march and I'd personally lead one dressed as Sgt. Schultz. I see it as a fun event where some people would be dressed up to celebrate, while others wear colours of the rainbow and hold Autistic Pride signs.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 8:36 am

AspieUtah wrote:
I am sorry if another user has already broached this idea. At the 2015 IMFAR International Meeting for Autism Research conference, more than one researcher presented studies which showed that about 10 percent of autists have "sexual and gender differences" while 10 percent of LGBT (mostly female-to-male transgender, but not exclusively) are autistic.

It would seem, then, that there is a connection between both segments of the overall population. When Aspies For Freedom was active, its leaders adopted many of the LGBT symbology (rainbow spectrum) and speech.

Therefore, why aren't both sides of this overlapping community building more bridges?

I have always found LGBT people very accepting of my own differences- far less close-minded and judgemental than the general population. For a long time, the majority of my friends were gay or lesbian, and I'm still a bit wary of other straight men.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 8:45 am

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
I am sorry if another user has already broached this idea. At the 2015 IMFAR International Meeting for Autism Research conference, more than one researcher presented studies which showed that about 10 percent of autists have "sexual and gender differences" while 10 percent of LGBT (mostly female-to-male transgender, but not exclusively) are autistic.

It would seem, then, that there is a connection between both segments of the overall population. When Aspies For Freedom was active, its leaders adopted many of the LGBT symbology (rainbow spectrum) and speech.

Therefore, why aren't both sides of this overlapping community building more bridges?

I have always found LGBT people very accepting of my own differences- far less close-minded and judgemental than the general population. For a long time, the majority of my friends were gay or lesbian, and I'm still a bit wary of other straight men.

Yep. Go Leeds Rhinos! :)

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)