Can an autistic person have better social skills than an NT?

Page 2 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2017, 8:36 am

DevilKisses wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Do you need to be "normal" to be a neckbeard and not have any mental disorders or any mental illnesses?

No. Aspies can be neckbeards as well. But I think a lot of them are NT or at least non-autistic.

https://www.reddit.com/r/neckbeardstories/

Legbeard = girl neckbeard.

I think neckbeards are just a variety of people autistic or not, possibly with other mental health / neurology conditions and they get lumped into this forum for lack of self awareness.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2017, 9:32 am

I guess neckbeard is a term people throw around at people who are socially stupid and act inappropriate and are creepy and have poor hygiene. I guess my first ex could be considered one.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2017, 10:51 am

League_Girl wrote:
I guess neckbeard is a term people throw around at people who are socially stupid and act inappropriate and are creepy and have poor hygiene. I guess my first ex could be considered one.

Since when has it been used for that? I thought it means you have a beard on your neck. Which is what I have. I have a neckbeard.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 7:09 pm

Corny wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Since when has it been used for that? I thought it means you have a beard on your neck. Which is what I have. I have a neckbeard.

Since a long time. Last time neckbeards were considered attractive was Wagner.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 8:42 pm

Ganondox wrote:
Corny wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Since a long time. Last time neckbeards were considered attractive was Wagner.

Dang it. And I have one because it doesn't grow out ever from out of my neck. And I have a mustache that's bad looking that I jokingly call my pedostache.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2017, 5:52 pm

I know one high functioning asperger who appears to have far better social skills than average NTs. I just recognise him through tiny things because I know what is autism.

NTs learn social skills partly unconsciously but hence also more superficially. Lots of NTs say "friends" but they know very well that their friendships are not true or profound. Their self-interest will always come before friendship. They have "friends" who they criticize as soon as they are not present, etc.

We learn social skills with our logic, we analyse, learn psychology, sociology and think it deeper, globally and with more honesty. We are also much more trustworthy and self-invested in our relationships. That is why in the end, when we have learned social skills, the result can be much better than NT's. Relationships Aspergers create are true, profound and real friendship with true self-investment... and that is a social skill that NT would have a hard time to acquire.

Xardas
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Mar 2017, 6:39 pm

LaetiBlabla wrote:
I know one high functioning asperger who appears to have far better social skills than average NTs. I just recognise him through tiny things because I know what is autism.

NTs learn social skills partly unconsciously but hence also more superficially. Lots of NTs say "friends" but they know very well that their friendships are not true or profound. Their self-interest will always come before friendship. They have "friends" who they criticize as soon as they are not present, etc.

We learn social skills with our logic, we analyse, learn psychology, sociology and think it deeper, globally and with more honesty. We are also much more trustworthy and self-invested in our relationships. That is why in the end, when we have learned social skills, the result can be much better than NT's. Relationships Aspergers create are true, profound and real friendship with true self-investment...

I agree. Sadly, many NTs are just like you described them.

LaetiBlabla wrote:
and that is a social skill that NT would have a hard time to acquire.

I'm NT and I think that I have it. I put in effort to acquire it.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2017, 6:51 pm

I didn't want to generalize. :)

I think that our societies are also tending to become more and more individualistic, more prising money then values. When you are NT, you naturally follow easier the tendencies... but not all do. However at the end, NTs realize that there is something wrong, something missing, because we all, humans, need true relationships.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2017, 6:56 pm

LaetiBlabla wrote:
Relationships Aspergers create are true, profound and real friendship with true self-investment... and that is a social skill that NT would have a hard time to acquire.

This is flat out ridiculous. Do you really believe that NTs have a hard time creating these kinds of friendships? How about you prove it?

Xardas

18 Mar 2017, 7:03 pm

starkid wrote:
LaetiBlabla wrote:
Relationships Aspergers create are true, profound and real friendship with true self-investment... and that is a social skill that NT would have a hard time to acquire.

This is flat out ridiculous. Do you really believe that NTs have a hard time creating these kinds of friendships? How about you prove it?

These kinds of friendships always require a lot of commitment and effort to put into them.

Aspies put effort into all social stuff because they just have to (it rarely comes naturally to them).

NTs learn social stuff naturally, so they put less effort into it. True friendships, however, require effort and commitment, no matter if you are NT or Aspie. Hence, ironically, it might be more common for Aspies than for many NTs to form true friendships. Simply because Aspies are trying harder - not because NTs have a particularly hard time.

Also keep in mind that this applies only to our times, to the "desensitised" 21st century.

In the past it was different, because people valued "true friendship" and "true love" more.

starkid wrote:
Do you really believe that NTs have a hard time creating these kinds of friendships?

It would be easy for them if they actually cared and tried. But often they don't care and don't try.

Read about being lonely despite living in a city full of people. Many NTs are like this today, right?

Check these articles for example:

"Does city life make us more or less lonely?":

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016 ... re-stories

"Half of adults in England experience loneliness":

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-24522691

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2017, 7:13 pm

Xardas wrote:
These kinds of friendships always require a lot of commitment and effort to put into them.

Aspies put effort into all social stuff because they just have to (it rarely comes naturally to them).

NTs learn social stuff naturally, so they put less effort into it. True friendships, however, require effort and commitment, no matter if you are NT or Aspie.

No. You are mixing up learning/practicing social skills and creating/maintaining relationships. Putting effort into learning and practicing social skills and putting effort into creating and maintaining relationships are two very different things.

Xardas

18 Mar 2017, 7:17 pm

starkid wrote:
No. You are mixing up learning/practicing social skills and creating/maintaining relationships. Putting effort into learning and practicing social skills and putting effort into creating and maintaining relationships are two very different things.

If you are capable of putting effort into one thing, then you are capable of putting effort into other things.

Learning to be able to put effort into "something" is already a skill on its own. It is called "self-discipline" (?).

Many NTs lack this skill, which means that they are unable put effort into anything, including relationships.

Which is why divorce rates are skyrocketing. And not only divorce rates, also breakups between couples.

Last edited by Xardas on 18 Mar 2017, 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2017, 7:26 pm

Xardas wrote:
If you are capable of putting effort into one thing, then you are capable of putting effort into other things.

That is completely irrelevant because I wasn't questioning anyone's capability to put effort into anything. Are you even following the discussion?

Quote:
Learning to be able to put effort into "something" is already a skill on its own. It is called "self-discipline" (?).

Many NTs lack this skill, which means that they are unable put effort into anything, including relationships.

This doesn't even make any sense; how could a human being even survive if she was unable to put effort into anything? This is naked and groundless prejudice. Conversation over.

Xardas

18 Mar 2017, 7:28 pm

starkid wrote:
how could a human being even survive if she was unable to put effort into anything

I meant large amounts of effort. Relationships require more effort than most of other things.

Please stop nitpicking. Nitpicking is so autistic... :P And I am not a native English speaker.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... nitpicking

Quote:
This is naked and groundless prejudice.

So explain why are divorce rates among NTs skyrocketting. And why are so many NTs single?

Quote:
Conversation over.

OK... :lol: You cannot handle disagreement with your opinions. I guess it is because you are an angry radical feminist (judging from your signature), not because you are an Aspie (are you even an Aspie, or are you NT)? :wink:

Last edited by Xardas on 18 Mar 2017, 7:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2017, 7:31 pm

Ganondox wrote:
So, I'm wondering is that if considering the studies have been finding people's social skills are getting worse due to less interaction with each other because of entertainment and whatnot, and the fact autistic children get explicitly taught social skills, is it possible for the autistic person to actually end up with better social skills than their neurotypical peers in the end?
No, because it truly wouldn't be autism then. If it can be fixed it isn't autism. Autism isn't fixable it is lifelong you might think it is better. But you aren't neurotypical so they might notice things you don't.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2017, 7:40 pm

Xardas wrote:
starkid wrote:

Which is why divorce rates are skyrocketing. And not only divorce rates, also breakups between couples.

I thought people were divorcing more because it's socially acceptable now and back then there were a lot of unhappy couples and people just slept in different rooms. Basically you had to be very wealthy to get a divorce. I have noticed a pattern that people who divorced in the early 1900's were all rich or a celebrity.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.