staying on SSI for the rest of my life. any experience?

Page 4 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

07 May 2018, 3:08 pm

My girlfriend is planning on staying on SSI for the rest of her life due to mental & physical issues. She has a Section 8 housing voucher which pays most of her rent. It allows her to rent from private & public places. It's based on her income, utilities, & medical expenses. She had to live in a low income place for a year before they approved her. The waiting list is probably longer now. She also has food-stamps(SNAP) which goes by how much her rent, utilities, medical expenses, phone costs, & her income of coarse but the GOP is trying to majorly cut & change the program. She also gets fuel assistance which is a one time payment for her gas which we use alot of in winter cuz Vermont gets pretty cold. She has Medicaid too.

I was on SSI before I started working & the Louisiana state Medicaid s#cked. No docs in my area would accept it cuz it didn't pay them enough so I had to have private health insurance, later insurance through work, & then COBRA 1ce I quit working & the COBRA health care cost me about half my SSI check. None of my insurance covered mental stuff other than meds so I had to pay out of pocket to see my psychiatrist. I also had copays & deductibles with all my non-Medicaid insurance. Getting my own place seemed impossible when I was just on SSI & not working. I'm on Social Security Disability now & get alittle more than SSI but it also gives me Medicare & Medicaid pays for it. All the docs in Vermont that me & Cass seen accept the state Medicaid so we don't really have health care cost other than copays for prescriptions which isn't much, full cost of nonprescription meds, & full cost of miscellaneous stuff like supplements & 1st-aid items.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Stardust Parade
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jun 2018, 6:43 pm

Your sense of entitlement is disturbing. I'd be pissed off if I knew my tax dollars were going to support someone like you. A lot of people don't like to work. Get over it. Find a job that works for you, instead of wasting your time making youtube videos.

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

16 Jun 2018, 10:18 pm

Stardust Parade wrote:
Your sense of entitlement is disturbing. I'd be pissed off if I knew my tax dollars were going to support someone like you. A lot of people don't like to work. Get over it. Find a job that works for you, instead of wasting your time making youtube videos.

i think you better shut your damn mouth...
you have no idea what i go through or what i been through.

Last edited by Joe_Winko_From_YouTube on 16 Jun 2018, 10:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

16 Jun 2018, 10:20 pm

nick007 wrote:
My girlfriend is planning on staying on SSI for the rest of her life due to mental & physical issues. She has a Section 8 housing voucher which pays most of her rent. It allows her to rent from private & public places. It's based on her income, utilities, & medical expenses. She had to live in a low income place for a year before they approved her. The waiting list is probably longer now. She also has food-stamps(SNAP) which goes by how much her rent, utilities, medical expenses, phone costs, & her income of coarse but the GOP is trying to majorly cut & change the program. She also gets fuel assistance which is a one time payment for her gas which we use alot of in winter cuz Vermont gets pretty cold. She has Medicaid too.

I was on SSI before I started working & the Louisiana state Medicaid s#cked. No docs in my area would accept it cuz it didn't pay them enough so I had to have private health insurance, later insurance through work, & then COBRA 1ce I quit working & the COBRA health care cost me about half my SSI check. None of my insurance covered mental stuff other than meds so I had to pay out of pocket to see my psychiatrist. I also had copays & deductibles with all my non-Medicaid insurance. Getting my own place seemed impossible when I was just on SSI & not working. I'm on Social Security Disability now & get alittle more than SSI but it also gives me Medicare & Medicaid pays for it. All the docs in Vermont that me & Cass seen accept the state Medicaid so we don't really have health care cost other than copays for prescriptions which isn't much, full cost of nonprescription meds, & full cost of miscellaneous stuff like supplements & 1st-aid items.

I guess it's different for everyone :/

Stardust Parade
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Sep 2018, 6:14 pm

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube wrote:
Stardust Parade wrote:

i think you better shut your damn mouth...
you have no idea what i go through or what i been through.

And you, have no idea what I go through. I have ASD, horrific anxiety, depression and ADHD and I still manage to work 40 hours a week, so I don't want to hear how supposedly "disabled" you are. SSI should only go to people who truly need it.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2018, 8:33 am

I'm already on SSI and my mom is my payee. She tells me all the time it's not enough to really live on but if I ever got a real job I would loose it. I don't think I could ever hold a real job or manage my own money so I think I'm better off letting her handle it, but I worry every day about what's going to happen to me once she passes away and can no longer take care of me. She told me either my brother or sister would look after me but I'm not sure how that will work out because I'm really not that close to either of them.

And I really hope Trump doesn't screw up disability benefits for people like me. God I hate him...

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2018, 9:48 am

Do you vote in elections? You don't have to have a job or or own property to vote in the USA.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2018, 9:53 am

I am registered to vote but I have never voted before. Maybe I will next election.