Difference between hyper focus and special interest? Or both

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Mar 2017, 7:59 am

Ive developed a new interest of taking photos for props for my art, after buying a new camera ( I can't get enough of it,it picks up on tiny details,finger prints etc) I've taken thousands of photos in a short period. How can I tell if it's just hyper focus with something I like or a special interest? Is it the time and intensity behind it?

NikNak
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Mar 2017, 8:47 am

I'm not sure the two are mutually exclusive.

I'd say hyperfocus refers to a deep concentration exhibited during tasks.

A special interest refers to the thing itself.

So you can hyperfocus on something related to your special interest.
E.g., I could read material on Supernatural for hours with little break in concentration when that became a special interest.

But you can also hyperfocus on something you find particularly engaging such as a video game. E.g., I have no special interest in video games but once I get playing I can be completely absorbed for hours.

I would also say you don't always exhibit hyperfocus on tasks you enjoy. E.g., I enjoy watching movies but can easily be distracted by my thoughts or games on my phone in a way I wouldn't if I was hyperfocused.

That's my take on it anyway!

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Mar 2017, 2:33 pm

NikNak wrote:
I'm not sure the two are mutually exclusive.

I'd say hyperfocus refers to a deep concentration exhibited during tasks.

A special interest refers to the thing itself.

So you can hyperfocus on something related to your special interest.
E.g., I could read material on Supernatural for hours with little break in concentration when that became a special interest.

But you can also hyperfocus on something you find particularly engaging such as a video game. E.g., I have no special interest in video games but once I get playing I can be completely absorbed for hours.

I would also say you don't always exhibit hyperfocus on tasks you enjoy. E.g., I enjoy watching movies but can easily be distracted by my thoughts or games on my phone in a way I wouldn't if I was hyperfocused.

That's my take on it anyway!
Nicely put. I think I have developed a new special interest then :0O

Ssmith25
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Mar 2017, 1:14 am

What's the difference between special interests and a hobby? I have neurotypical friends who are more obsessed with their interests than I have special interests. Seems as if I can't do the same things as others without it having a label, but they don't have a label.

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Mar 2017, 12:21 pm

Ssmith25 wrote:
What's the difference between special interests and a hobby? I have neurotypical friends who are more obsessed with their interests than I have special interests. Seems as if I can't do the same things as others without it having a label, but they don't have a label.

The difference between a hobby and a special interest is mainly the intensity.

With a special interest, I spend a lot of time when I'm not able to actively be doing it, I'm still thinking about it. I'll research my special interest to death. When talking to people if the subject turns to my special interest, I will have a hard time stop talking about it, no matter how many times the other person or people look at their watch or try to change the subject. I have a hard time setting down my special interest, even when I have another task I NEED to do.

With a hobby, the intensity isn't as severe. I can stop thinking about it when I'm not involved with my hobby. I don't have to do it all the time. I am satisfied with minimal information needed to perform the hobby. I can share information about the hobby instead of dominating the conversation. I am able to set a hobby to the side to do other tasks.

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Mar 2017, 2:24 pm

Ssmith25 wrote:

Hobby = chocolate bar. Special interest = crack cocaine.