The Body Positive and Fat Acceptance Movement

Page 10 of 10 [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 1:07 pm

BettaPonic wrote:
I cannot gain weight. I am 5'11 and weigh 127. When I was little some doctors would assume I was anorexic. I also over exercise. I have done 54,000 steps today. I can respect someine being happy with their weight, but pretending obesity isn't bad for your health is something I can't respect.

That is why you can't gain weight because you over exercise so you are not giving yourself enough calorie intake your body needs to gain weight.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 1:09 pm

I think "Body acceptance" and "bodies come in different shapes and sizes" gets twisted by the FA to justify their obesity.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 1:19 pm

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
I consider myself "body positive" within reason. I am overweight but I love myself enough to have good eating habits such as cutting out junk foods with lots of preservatives and not eating desserts or fast food. I also like to make healthy choices at restaurants (we went out to get some Japanese food and instead of soda I got a calorie free hot green tea and a Chirashi which had the same kind of fish sushi has but in limited amounts. I hardly ate any of the rice. I shouldn't have gotten that vegetable and shrimp tempura but now I know better.) and when we do eat typically unhealthy food like Chinese food, I like getting one or two appetizers that are not heavily fried.

Exercise is also a major part of my life these days.

While I do think it's important to love how you look, I also think when things do get out of control to change eating and lifestyle habits.

Is the fat acceptance movement harmful or helpful in your opinion?

I think it can definitely go too far. When we're not allowed to talk about healthy eating and a healthy lifestyle because it might hurt someone's feelings, that's not sane.

BUT. I have a dear friend who's 6'3" and almost 400 pounds. For now anyway, he's healthy (and almost 40). I've personally seen "fat shaming" driven attempts by doctors to force him to lose weight almost KILL HIM. When someone's liver counts are going crazy and you never consider that they could be getting sick because of the 1000 calorie diet you have them on instead of the extra pounds they're carrying, your fat-judgment is impairing your medical judgment.

My hubby is definitely overweight. When he says things like, "I'm too fat to go for a walk," and it's not about not being able to physically handle it but about the fear that someone will see him walking (biking, swimming, whatever) and judge his weight-- yeah, some fat acceptance would sure improve things for him.

When his mom sits around eating her self-hate over the extra weight she's carrying instead of getting in the pool (to take some weight off the feet that have been destroyed by arthritis and multiple broken bones) and getting some activity because, "Oh my God, I look awful in a bathing suit!!"-- yeah, some fat acceptance would sure improve things for her.

When I can tell people that, because of my new anti-depressant, I can only stand to eat about 500 calories a day and I've lost 20 pounds in a month and the reaction I get is, "I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU!! !" instead of "I think this drug might be dangerous for you," we have a problem, and it's not in the direction of being too accepting of fat.

When I'm more conscious of how my clothes LOOK than how comfortable they are before I go out to walk, mow, garden, whatever-- both because I'm a married woman and therefore afraid of showing ANYTHING and because my 170-pound muscular 5'7" self isn't "the standard of feminine beauty" anymore and I know I'm SUPPOSED TO BE self-conscious about that-- YEAH, FAT-SHAMING HAS GONE WAY TOO FAR.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 3:39 pm

I am OUTRAGED at all of this "shame shaming".

Making folks feel ashamed of....making folks feel ashamed!

I think we all should stand up for our rights to...make other folks feel ashamed of...whatever we want other folks to feel ashamed of!

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 7:22 pm

League_Girl wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
I cannot gain weight. I am 5'11 and weigh 127. When I was little some doctors would assume I was anorexic. I also over exercise. I have done 54,000 steps today. I can respect someine being happy with their weight, but pretending obesity isn't bad for your health is something I can't respect.

That is why you can't gain weight because you over exercise so you are not giving yourself enough calorie intake your body needs to gain weight.

It happened before that. I have a family history of not being able to gain weight.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2017, 12:59 am

BettaPonic wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:

It happened before that. I have a family history of not being able to gain weight.

Have you ever been checked for any thyroid issues? Sometimes people have too high of metabolism they keep on losing weight no matter how much they eat and they basically have to eat all the time to keep their weight on.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2017, 4:41 am

League_Girl wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:

Have you ever been checked for any thyroid issues? Sometimes people have too high of metabolism they keep on losing weight no matter how much they eat and they basically have to eat all the time to keep their weight on.

I haven't been checked. Thank you for the concern. I might have been checked when little though.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2017, 9:16 am

A new option for vegans.It's suppose to taste like the real deal.
https://www.impossiblefoods.com/burger/

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2017, 3:17 pm

Misslizard wrote:

Hopefully they taste a helluva lot better than those godawful garden burgers! :eew:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2017, 3:31 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Hopefully they taste a helluva lot better than those godawful garden burgers! :eew:

They are suppose to be really good,with the same texture as real meat.It was on the local news and the people that were trying them seemed really impressed.Not like they will be available here anytime soon,but maybe since you are on the west coast you will get a chance to sample one.If we can put a man on the moon then we should be able to make a veggie burger that tastes like a real burger.It would be a blessing for those that don't want to go vegan,but need to because of health problems.They wouldn't have to cheat on their diet when they eat a juicy burger.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2017, 2:19 am

unfortunately, all that gourmet fake meat co$t$ money.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2017, 2:58 am

fresh food is expensive. The latest research suggests packaged food is cheaper

Only rich folks pay for organic and mock meat

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2017, 10:32 pm

BettaPonic wrote:

how many "steps" are in a mile? the length of steps depends on who's walking.

so i measure more objectively. feet, yards, miles, kilometers.

appearances are superficial.

obesity is bad for health, but so is anorexia, materialism, superficiality, OCD.

in the world, it is hard to avoid everything that is bad for your health in one way or another. pollution, radiation, pressure, psychological stress. nowadays, it's pretty inconvenient to try to only eat the recommended 25 daily grams of sugar. 1 serving cereal. 10 gram sugar. 1 serving soy milk. almost 10 gram sugar. 4 inari sushi. 22 gram sugar.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2017, 11:42 pm

cyberdad wrote:
fresh food is expensive. The latest research suggests packaged food is cheaper

Only rich folks pay for organic and mock meat

Organic food is a scam. It isn't any healthier than ordinary food.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2017, 8:32 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:

how many "steps" are in a mile? the length of steps depends on who's walking.

so i measure more objectively. feet, yards, miles, kilometers.

appearances are superficial.

obesity is bad for health, but so is anorexia, materialism, superficiality, OCD.

in the world, it is hard to avoid everything that is bad for your health in one way or another. pollution, radiation, pressure, psychological stress. nowadays, it's pretty inconvenient to try to only eat the recommended 25 daily grams of sugar. 1 serving cereal. 10 gram sugar. 1 serving soy milk. almost 10 gram sugar. 4 inari sushi. 22 gram sugar.

It has nothing to do with how I look. My mother is obese and I see what she misses out on because of it. I no longer meet the qualifications for anorexia. I did for a few months. Only two things matter in my life Fish/plants and my three closest friends. Thank you for your concern, it means a lot. I also need the walking for other reasons. I have no appetite without eating and it also helps with depression.

tensordyne
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Sep 2017, 1:48 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:

Uhhh, the quote above is wanting of serious dissection and discussion. One, they are pretty disparate and dismissively brought up subjects, especially since we are talking about eating disorders: anorexia; carnism.

Materialism, I take offense to that ( not that I expect anything of anyone! ). Looked it up. Materialism is the notion that only physical interactions determine the nature of reality. Sounds like a pretty reasonable guess to me. Because there are people who believe in that notion we have science ruling the day, and not Dark Ages BS about humours, essences, magic and so on...

Superficiality! Relative term. A three year-old's concerns will often seem pretty superficial to me. Perhaps a less superficial declaration of what is concerning you would be more efficacious in explaining what it is that actually bothers you in this case of 'Superficiality'? Perhaps with greater specificity to be less superficial about the matter???

OCD and Superficiality aren't in the same ballpark. One is a debilitating medical condition and the other could be considered a transient cultural phenomena... What is your take though?

Finally, the quote was in refference to obesity, obviously trying to poo-poo concern about obesity away.

Obesity, for most people, is a completely preventable, self-inflicted disease of their dietary choices. Feed an herbivore steak and McD's and they will get heart disease ( CVD - cardiovascular disease ), cancer, diabetes, etc... Feed the same items to a carnivore or omnivore, plus sticks and sticks of butter, lard, what have you, and those meat-eating vores will be just fine. They have evolved to eat meat, we did not. We are so evolved to eat plants we don't even make Vitamin C! No need, get it from plants too much.

Wake up, what other species experiences chronic degenerative diseases associated with diet and getting old? The answer is, NONE! It is not natural. You are from the species descended from African Great Apes. Our next most closely related species cousin are the Chimps, who are very herbivorous.

I eat as much as I want, I don't count anything and am still loosing weight. I make sure to get a few things like sunlight and B12, but that's it. I am free! Free from obesity. I don't worry about my weight at all. Vegan lifestyle is great!

So,

Body Positive = "Yes"

Small, tall, wide, black, white, wide nose, hairy, not hairy, tranny, etc... Love yourself! Love your body. F the culture that says to you you are ugly because of that kind of crap.

Fat Acceptance = "No"

It's gross looking, come on, let's just be honest on that one. Sure, there are some BBW's and BBM's who can make it look mostly nice, but that is the rare exception. The reality is that small muscles encased in cellulite, bulges, palid greasy skin: all not attractive.

Obesity is not good for you either. It is not good for the planet and requires massive amounts resources to artificially sustain the addiction that caused it in the first place.

Do you know what meat dishes smell like to me now? I was at Olive Garden recently. I thought I would puke, literally. The smell was too much.

Everyone was old, fat and eating heated pieces of carcusses dressed in plants and fat. The answer is that meat dishes smell like dressed up road-kill to me, because, that is, in essence, what they trully are. I am sure you won't notice the smell because your taste buds are likely drenched all the time in fat, salt, sugar and meat endotoxins, but it's there if the conditions are right, I assure you. Chicken smells the nastiest BTW.

Go Vegan!