how often should you see a therapist?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Belushi87
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Mar 2017, 1:52 am

i've started seeing a therapist just to help with some changes that are going on, but i know the situation isn't going to be forever, i just needed someone just to rant to and get some things off my chest. so far i've seen her a couple times and i know in a couple weeks, i'm going to feel better about what's going on and i think i should take a step back and not see her as often. do you think its a good idea to keep seeing her, but only if something comes up and i just need a professional opinion. right now i just need someone just to give me advice and just tell me whats going on in my head, but i think once this current situation is under control, i think if i need her, i can always call her and make an appointment or just to check in with her.

how often do you think someone should see a therapist?
i don't think my situation is as bad as people with severe depression or PTSD who need to see someone weekly, but i think if i know i can call her when i need to then i can see her.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 2:06 am

Somewhere between once and daily, depending on your circumstances, compatibility, and other options.

burnt_orange
Toucan
Toucan

19 Mar 2017, 11:08 am

At first, once a week, then after a month, every 2 or 3 weeks. Then maybe every 6 weeks or as needed.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 3:09 pm

I think the overall helpfulness of therapy waxes and wanes depending on how solid your present state of mind is. Mental health is a devious, fluid thing that drops straight into hell very quickly with little warning, but perhaps others are different. Before the headless chickens 'upstairs' decided group therapy would be the only thing I attended henceforth last year, I found my fortnightly one-to-one sessions very beneficial. I could get a lot of nasty stuff out and my psychologist was so plainly better suited to dealing with one person at a time. The group she managed was in fact weekly, meaning I had more quantity, but sadly not quality.