Trump Voter Surprised Trump Will Cut Meals On Wheels

Page 3 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 12:54 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Just proposing it is downright crappy.Most of the older folks voted for him.Now he back stabs them.
My state ranks number one in senior hunger.Not something you want to come in first for.Most older folks here are living below the poverty level so it's doubtful rich folks are abusing the program.Most of the meals on wheels sites I looked at have income guidelines,so no people are not milking the tit of the federal government for a crappy slab of meatloaf and a white bread roll.:roll: There is some federal funding for the program,it may not make a difference in the wealthier states if it gets cut.But here,any loss of funding will hurt.We don't have that much money on the state level to work with.
There seems to be a trend in phasing out help to the most vulnerable seniors.
http://www.daas.ar.gov/pdf/Senior%20Hun ... 0FINAL.pdf

If they need food, why can't they apply for "food stamps"?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 3:16 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Just proposing it is downright crappy.Most of the older folks voted for him.Now he back stabs them.
My state ranks number one in senior hunger.Not something you want to come in first for.Most older folks here are living below the poverty level so it's doubtful rich folks are abusing the program.Most of the meals on wheels sites I looked at have income guidelines,so no people are not milking the tit of the federal government for a crappy slab of meatloaf and a white bread roll.:roll: There is some federal funding for the program,it may not make a difference in the wealthier states if it gets cut.But here,any loss of funding will hurt.We don't have that much money on the state level to work with.

Most get SSI,around $700 a month.In rural areas there wasn't any high paying jobs so most do not have a fat retirement check.So you get around a whopping $30 in food stamps.Maybe a few more depending on living expenses.Im not sure why people think food stamps pay out big.
If I didn't grow a garden I would seriously be without good food to eat.Most that are physically able still try and garden.

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 3:41 pm

Misslizard wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Most get SSI,around $700 a month.In rural areas there wasn't any high paying jobs so most do not have a fat retirement check.So you get around a whopping $30 in food stamps.Maybe a few more depending on living expenses.Im not sure why people think food stamps pay out big.
If I didn't grow a garden I would seriously be without good food to eat.Most that are physically able still try and garden.

I have a friend who in her last job still qualified for SNAP despite working full time. During that time she couldn't afford a car and she lived, along with her 10 year old son, in her parents house. She was only recently able to get an apartment by moving in with her boyfriend.

It's clear Lovenothate has no experience with people who aren't well off and she seems to hold them in contempt for some reason. I hope she doesn't have to experience what the people on these programs are living through. If she does she'll be in for one hell of a rude awakening.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 4:17 pm

Misslizard wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

According to this website ...
In 2015, the avg. SNAP (food stamp) payment for an individual was $125/month.
A family of 5 got $556/month.
While the avg. household payment was $255/month.
http://www.cbpp.org/research/a-quick-gu ... d-benefits

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 4:20 pm

Lukeda420 wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

I have a friend who in her last job still qualified for SNAP despite working full time. During that time she couldn't afford a car and she lived, along with her 10 year old son, in her parents house. She was only recently able to get an apartment by moving in with her boyfriend.

I know people who don't get married so they individually qualify.

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 4:43 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
Lukeda420 wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

I know people who don't get married so they individually qualify.

Way to miss the point.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 5:40 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

According to this website ...
In 2015, the avg. SNAP (food stamp) payment for an individual was $125/month.
A family of 5 got $556/month.
While the avg. household payment was $255/month.
http://www.cbpp.org/research/a-quick-gu ... d-benefits

I get SSI and I get exactly $30 in food stamps.I did get 32 but when they raised my SSI five bucks they cut me back.lol That is taking into account my property tax and utilities.If I paid rent or had bigger utility bills I would get more.Most seniors live alone or maybe with their partner so no family of five.
Even if I received $125 a month that's not much to live off if you want to eat healthy.I suppose if you wanted to survive off white bread and bologna it would do.
I eat lots of beans,cornbread,wild game,garden food,eggs from my hens and some foraged wild food.Sometimes I hit up the local food room and get the commodities.
I suppose I'm eligible to eat at the senior center free since I'm disabled, but I'll wait till I'm really old for that.Like ninety or so.Id rather root up an acorn and chew on that than socialize for a free meal.

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 6:02 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I get SSI and I get exactly $30 in food stamps.I did get 32 but when they raised my SSI five bucks they cut me back.lol That is taking into account my property tax and utilities.If I paid rent or had bigger utility bills I would get more.Most seniors live alone or maybe with their partner so no family of five.
Even if I received $125 a month that's not much to live off if you want to eat healthy.I suppose if you wanted to survive off white bread and bologna it would do.
I eat lots of beans,cornbread,wild game,garden food,eggs from my hens and some foraged wild food.Sometimes I hit up the local food room and get the commodities.
I suppose I'm eligible to eat at the senior center free since I'm disabled, but I'll wait till I'm really old for that.Like ninety or so.Id rather root up an acorn and chew on that than socialize for a free meal.

Yeah you're just a regular welfare queen aren't you! :wink:

It's amazing to me how many people continue to try to deny poverty exists in the U.S. because Fox News once told them that 82 percent of people living in poverty had a microwave and some even had a computer or a cell phone. You know simple things that are practically needed in this country. I see people struggle everyday to manage paying their bills. Forget going to the doctor, the copay is too expensive. If the car breaks down, than all that's left is bumming rides until some money can be scraped together to get it fixed. And whatever you do, don't go to the hospital. Because if you do than there will be thousands of dollars in bills coming your way. If you have an hourly job there is a good chance that you will not be paid for the time missed. You know just when you need it the most. And try to avoid any prescriptions.

I ended up in the hospital a little over a year ago. I am still paying bills. I got separate bills from my gastroenterologist, my neurologist, the radiologist, the hospital and the ambulance. The ambulance ride cost over a thousand dollars to take me just 5 or so miles. And I am working full time with employer based insurance.

https://mediamatters.org/research/2011/ ... y-h/148574

Last edited by Lukeda420 on 21 Mar 2017, 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 6:03 pm

http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/12/pf/amer ... f-savings/

Quote:
6 in 10 Americans don't have $500 in savings

Quote:
Nearly six in 10 Americans don't have enough savings to cover a $500 or $1,000 unplanned expense, according to a new report from Bankrate.
Only 41% of adults reported having enough in their savings account to cover a surprise bill of this magnitude. A little more than 20% said they would put it on a credit card, the report said, while 20% would cut their spending and 11% would turn to friends and family for financial assistance.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 6:54 pm

Lukeda420 wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Yeah you're just a regular welfare queen aren't you! :wink:

It's amazing to me how many people continue to try to deny poverty exists in the U.S. because Fox News once told them that 82 percent of people living in poverty had a microwave and some even had a computer or a cell phone. You know simple things that are practically needed in this country. I see people struggle everyday to manage paying their bills. Forget going to the doctor, the copay is too expensive. If the car breaks down, than all that's left is bumming rides until some money can be scraped together to get it fixed. And whatever you do, don't go to the hospital. Because if you do than there will be thousands of dollars in bills coming your way. If you have an hourly job there is a good chance that you will not be paid for the time missed. You know just when you need it the most. And try to avoid any prescriptions.

I ended up in the hospital a little over a year ago. I am still paying bills. I got separate bills from my gastroenterologist, my neurologist, the radiologist, the hospital and the ambulance. The ambulance ride cost over a thousand dollars to take me just 5 or so miles. And I am working full time with employer based insurance.

https://mediamatters.org/research/2011/ ... y-h/148574

Yup,I'm living high on the hog.lol
My fridge looks pretty dismal right now.Butter,eggs,chunk of cheese,a few taters,condiments and an onion.Dry goods in the pantry.Greens in the garden.All stuff that needs preparation,no easy fast food like a frozen pizza.Its out of my budget.But if we get a good rain the morels will be out and I'll be dining gourmet!
Next month will be extra hard,my car has a gremlin in the electricial system and won't even start.The mechanic thinks he may have found the problem,if not I'm up the proverbial creek.Can't sell a car that won't start except for scrap iron,no money for a down payment on another.I have good credit,but if I have to make car payments I won't even have enough left to put gas in it or afford the full coverage insurance they require till its paid off.If the mechanic does fix it,I can only imagine the bill headed my way. 8O 8O Luckily it's a friend and neighbor, so I can make payments.Ive been bumming rides with neighbor's and relatives,it gets old.
Nothing in savings here to cover any extra expense.
I had an Obama phone but it quit working when Trump became President.No joke,they said I didn't renew the application but that's hard to do when no one sends you one.Ive been trying to get it turned back on since Jan and have just gave up on the program.I will just get an el cheapo dollar store phone in case I break down on the road.
I had no idea a microwave was a symbol of wealth.lol Guess I'm in dire straits,I don't have one!!Actually I did,it was a gift from family and I never used it so I gave it to someone who had no other way to cook.
Bummer about your medical bills.You probably got charged for every cotton swab they used at a ridiculously inflated price.Ten bucks a Q-tip.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 7:16 pm

Most of my money, I blew on cheap thrills, but the rest I wasted. Don't underestimate the resourcefulness needed to be poor until you've tried it.

Also, how exactly is a person who can't safely leave the house for a meal going to make repeated trips to the food stamp office, and then to the grocery store? Food Stamps are a Department of Agriculture program, designed to increase food consumption for not unselfish reasons!

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 7:21 pm

MizzLizard,

I can't complain. I'm very lucky I have a steady job that I got through a family connection. If I didn't have that I don't know where I'd be. I'm watching so many people around me struggle though and even I'm one of the six in 10 people who lack adequate savings. My mom's unemployment just ran out and she's making her money doing odd jobs and selling things online. She's doing all of this while going back to school for graphic design. She works more hours than I do and she is barely scraping by. She used to have a healthy retirement account but than it bottomed out after 9/11. It happened again in the financial crash. Oh and she is sixty so getting hired is difficult regardless of her work experience. Even with all of this we are still in a better position than many other people I see. For the most part my family can put up a buffer for unexpected expenses. It's nice to have someone who can provide a backstop but it sucks to have to need it.

Maybe we should just petition George Soros for a raise. His paid protester checks aren't cutting it. :roll:

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 7:26 pm

Word to the wise: never work on spec for a political operative. I think Paul Manafort first said that...

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 8:59 pm

Lukeda420 wrote:
MizzLizard,

I can't complain. I'm very lucky I have a steady job that I got through a family connection. If I didn't have that I don't know where I'd be. I'm watching so many people around me struggle though and even I'm one of the six in 10 people who lack adequate savings. My mom's unemployment just ran out and she's making her money doing odd jobs and selling things online. She's doing all of this while going back to school for graphic design. She works more hours than I do and she is barely scraping by. She used to have a healthy retirement account but than it bottomed out after 9/11. It happened again in the financial crash. Oh and she is sixty so getting hired is difficult regardless of her work experience. Even with all of this we are still in a better position than many other people I see. For the most part my family can put up a buffer for unexpected expenses. It's nice to have someone who can provide a backstop but it sucks to have to need it.

Maybe we should just petition George Soros for a raise. His paid protester checks aren't cutting it. :roll:

It could always be worse,we're not homeless or trying to get out of Syria.I really feel for people trying to get by with kids.They are always hungry,need new clothes and tend to need doctor visits for typical kid stuff.
Yeah,rabble-rousing just doesn't pay like it used to.lol Soon there will be signs,"Will protest for food."

nicolus030
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Dec 2019, 11:46 pm

There are many things that can happen in life which can have a negative effect on your financialhelpfree. This type of people asking for help or applying for assistance. Some government programs, organization and churches help for this.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2019, 12:32 am

All the wonderful things bought to you by the man you voted into power

He must have a bucket list of evil things he must complete