Was anyone diagnosed during a normal psych eval?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

cervine
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Mar 2017, 3:14 pm

I have one in about a week set up by the campus nurse because of my depression/anxiety, and she made a note to them that I suspected asd. (Maybe this means they'll test for it?) Since then I've obsessed over reading about it and kind of had some revelations, anyway I'm 99.99% sure I have it not just for social things but sensory issues. But I can't stop thinking about this psych eval. Was anyone diagnosed during one of these, or does it have to be specialized tests? I know it probably depends on who's doing it, but I really don't know what to expect. I'm terrified I'll get someone that immediately dismisses it for some misconception like a counselor I talked to did. Or that it won't be suspected during the specific things we do/talk about. Combined with the fact that I'm horrible at expressing what I'm feeling/thinking..

Is it possible to be diagnosed during one of these? Can anyone give me an idea of what they ask about? I've never had any sort of mental evaluation (though I've really needed it since childhood).

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 7:09 pm

Well, when I received my diagnosis neither I nor my parents knew what "aspergers" was. I don't think the tests were geared as an "autism yes or no" scenario, but rather a broader range of tests including memory (listen to a sequence of numbers & repeat as many back as you can forward/backwards), a Rorschach test (what pareidolic images do you see in the ink blobs?) , event sequence testing (put the pictures in order to tell a story), conversational observation, and asking some questions of parents, and several others which I've since forgotten.

I think the main purpose was for a depression diagnosis, but they figured an overall evaluation couldn't hurt.

If you're concerned about AS, I don't see why you can't just ask them if they will be evaluating with that potential in mind.