Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Do you actually trust the Psychiatric Industry ?
Yes 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
No 72%  72%  [ 18 ]
Other [Please explain if possible; note that this question pertains to whether you CURRENTLY trust the industry as opposed to the context of if you have /ever/ trusted it] 20%  20%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 25

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 7:55 pm

Keeping this simple. Do you actually trust the Psychiatric-Industry ? I suspect most of us do not.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

21 Mar 2017, 12:28 am

I'm on the fence. I had some bad experiences but I think there's some good docs & meds out there but you have to go through a lot to find the rite ones sometimes.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 8:22 am

I absolutely don't. They're just guessing at what ails people and how to fix them. The fact is, they don't have a clue. They use patients as guinea pigs, trying all sorts of medications on them till, hopefully, something works. In the meantime, the poor patient is subject to medicine-induced side effects like high or low blood pressure, tremors, unsteady gait, confusion, weight gain, increased depression and even suicide.

I stopped taking my psych meds because I felt like a guinea pig. The solution to my anxiety/depression, PTSD and bipolar disorder was simply to avoid people, or lessen my interaction with them, because they trigger me so.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 9:18 am

While there are some who genuinely want to help people, there's more that want the profits in giving out drugs to people, the more they can get people on meds the more profit it is for someone else. I can't say I trust anyone tbh, not while capitalism exists.

Some of these psychiatric meds are equivalent to actual street drugs. Ritalin for example, pretty much just glorified amphetamine(speed/whizz). They say it's supposed to help with concentration/help kids work etc but you're essentially giving your kid f*****g speed. And it's very likely they won't get really concentrated on the work as intended, more like video games. I've seen people addicted to Ritalin who now literally religiously play GW2 and write ridiculously long fan fics for it cause they're out of their minds on Ritalin, it's all they concentrate on. Even ditched med school for playing that game while Ritalin basically messes their life up.

I know people with full blown Schizophrenia, the meds do more damage than the condition. They essentially keep the person in a self induced coma pretty much and because of this the person suffers from depression because they're lacking so much good nutrition, exercise and simply just going outside. But what do they do to treat the depression? Oh of course, throw more drugs at the person and not help them get into a healthier routine. They just think throwing drugs at people can cure the worlds problems. Reality is, they just turn you into a numb shell of a person and it's not worth it, just go down the health route imo. You'll start feeling better than you were after a few weeks.

I've seen people go from this kinda bad state to resonably healthy when they went down a health route instead of all these drugs. Basically eating really well and forcing themselves to exercise, keeping themselves too busy to be depressed.

A lot of people with serious mental health conditions are no more than test subjects to a lot of these so called doctors. While I agree that some meds do actually work - to be taking them for the rest of your life must definitely be doing some damage physically to you, because they're still drugs, medication is just a word doctors use to make it seem less harmful than it usually is.

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2017, 12:09 pm

^ I disagree. Stimulant meds have helped me tremendously with my executive functioning and motivation. I need that extra dopamine activity because I don't have it naturally. I'm definitely not "tweeking" or high in anyway. Adderall, Ritalin, and Desoxyn (prescription meth) were originally pharmaceutical before abusers started making them illegally giving the stimulants the bad name of "street drugs," and then being associated with tweeking druggies who don't need them for an actual chemical imbalance.

I was born with the umbilical cord tightly wrapped around my neck, cutting off oxygen supply, so my neurology was all phucked up. I had motor delays and a speech impediment the resolved after therapy. I suspect what happened during birth is what caused my adhd

Coyotesheaven
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Mar 2017, 12:28 am

Not anymore. The medications they put me on worsened my health conditions and made the unpleasant aspects of living with my autism worse. I was not properly monitored by anyone.

Not to mention that one of them was manipulating me and trying to feed me pills to make money off of me. I doubt he would have seen me no less than 'diseased' had I outed myself as autistic.

In general I don't trust psychiatrists or anyone in the mental healthcare community, because I don't believe they will respect the culture I live under with autism and my ways of life. I believe they will only see me as broken and a need for me to be fixed, even if it means destroying parts of my identity to make me conform. There is also a lot of ignorance regarding autism, let alone HFA, in that world and I would fear people grossly misunderstanding my story(ies).

I might still work with an occupational therapist for disabilities related and not related to living with HFA, but I am reluctant to get any other kind of psychiatric 'help' because of the above reasons.

Hippygoth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Mar 2017, 10:01 am

I'm not sure. I had a really bad experience when I was 21 and couldn't trust any kind of health professional for years, but then my son needed some help and his psychiatrist was wonderful. That's what gave me the courage to go and ask for a referral for myself.

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 10:14 am

Hippygoth wrote:
I'm not sure. I had a really bad experience when I was 21 and couldn't trust any kind of health professional for years, but then my son needed some help and his psychiatrist was wonderful. That's what gave me the courage to go and ask for a referral for myself.

I'm convinced the anti-psychotics I was prescribed when I was 18 and took for 3 years gave me diabetes insipidus. I haven't been tested for it because I don't like going to see physicians, but I have all the symptoms which didn't start until I took those meds, and when I stopped taking the meds the symptoms didn't go away.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3219521/

I was on a cocktail of meds, not lithium, but I have read other reports of the antipsychotics I was on causing diabetes insipidus.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 8:07 pm

I was on psych meds for 5 years after I fell into a bad psychotic depression. I didn't feel truly better until I weaned myself off all the meds. I got in my 2nd relationship a couple years later & was having a lot of anxiety problems within the relationship. I had done a lot of self-analyzing during my time on psych meds & after I had quit taking them. I realized I needed a med for my anxiety but I wanted to try a different type of med than antidepressants. I researched anxiety meds online & learned about Buspar which is specially for anxiety & not a benzo. I bought it online cuz I didn't have insurance at the time & I wanted to try it myself before seeing a doc about it. It helped my anxiety alot without side-effects. Me & my girlfriend broke up shortly after & I realized my OCD was a big problem too. I researched alternative OCD meds & learned about Neurontin/Gabapentin & decided to try that. I bought it online cuz I still didn't have insurance & it helped alot without side-effects. I saw my GP shortly after & got both meds prescribed by telling him I've been on them before. A couple years later I was going through some stuff in life & feeling depressed & having problems sleeping. I saw my GP(a different one cuz I had moved across the country) & she put me on Trazodone. It's an antidepressant that's in a different class than the 1s I had been on & it's used more for insomnia than depression. I started sleeping better & my depression got better. A while after I researched antipsychotics because I had been having issues that were related to a possible delusional disorder. I decided to try Haldol/Haloperidol because it's the most commonly used typical antipsychotic. I wanted to avoid the atypical 1s because I had tried a few out & had bad experiences with all of them. I decided to buy it online because I was afraid my doc would insist on me getting mental help like counseling or seeing a psychiatrist & I wanted to avoid that. I take the lowest dose & it helps some & I don't get upset as easily as I used to. I still buy it online but it's only $9.20 for 50 days worth of the dose I take.

My point is that it's important to take a proactive role in your psych treatment. Self-analyze(posting about things on forums helped me out a lot) & research the meds your taking & have took & research other meds if your not having good luck with those.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 3:36 am

^ What Nick007 just wrote is true - you have to take a proactive role in your own health. Psychiatrists are extremely busy, very often overloaded with trainloads of patients they barely have time to see. In fact, can a psychiatrist really "know" you from a brief 15/20 minute visit?

When you sit in the office of a psychologist or psychiatrist, there are no stressors to set you off. The lights are soft; sounds are kept to a minimum. At that moment, you feel calm and show it. Then, drop you off on a busy street somewhere or your hectic job and the true you comes spurting forth in all it's glorious, eye opening detail.

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 1:53 pm

nick007 wrote:
researched anxiety meds online & learned about Buspar which is specially for anxiety & not a benzo. I bought it online cuz I didn't have insurance at the time & I wanted to try it myself before seeing a doc about it. It helped my anxiety alot without side-effects. Me & my girlfriend broke up shortly after & I realized my OCD was a big problem too. I researched alternative OCD meds & learned about Neurontin/Gabapentin & decided to try that. I bought it online cuz I still didn't have insurance

Where online do you buy the medications without a prescription? I've been wanting to try some meds, but don't feel like doing the run-around with doctors. I also want to make sure the site I purchase from is legit and I'm not going to be sent something counterfeit with might poison me.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 10:29 pm

This_Amoeba wrote:
nick007 wrote:
researched anxiety meds online & learned about Buspar which is specially for anxiety & not a benzo. I bought it online cuz I didn't have insurance at the time & I wanted to try it myself before seeing a doc about it. It helped my anxiety alot without side-effects. Me & my girlfriend broke up shortly after & I realized my OCD was a big problem too. I researched alternative OCD meds & learned about Neurontin/Gabapentin & decided to try that. I bought it online cuz I still didn't have insurance

Where online do you buy the medications without a prescription? I've been wanting to try some meds, but don't feel like doing the run-around with doctors. I also want to make sure the site I purchase from is legit and I'm not going to be sent something counterfeit with might poison me.
I just PMed you