Horrific Side Effects of Psych Meds

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2016, 6:54 pm

I remember reading this story before.

This story is my story, although what happened to Ms. Bauer's son was more severe. I can absolutely vouch for it most probably being true.

I remember reading this and realizing, really realizing, for the first time that none of what happened to me that summer from Hell was my fault. And then, like two weeks later, the Eric Conn disability fraud scandal broke in the news, and I realized that it also might not have been done to me accidentally.

I'm not saying that all meds are always bad.

I am saying that you need to be aware of what CAN happen, and you need to believe your kid (and your instincts), and not always just do exactly as the doctor says just because the doctor is a doctor or because the doctor won't listen to you.

It's still out there. My story started in 2010 and continued through most of 2011. It's not that meds are always bad. It's that they can cause bad things to happen, and the doctors don't always know it, because it's not something that happens a lot or something that you're taught about to know about it unless you've seen it before or you attend a lot of conferences to know.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2016, 10:54 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:
It's not that meds are always bad. It's that they can cause bad things to happen, and the doctors don't always know it, because it's not something that happens a lot or something that you're taught about to know about it unless you've seen it before or you attend a lot of conferences to know.

If the doctor is competent, it shouldn't matter if a bad side effect is one that they're aware of/familiar with. Good/competent doctors question their own conclusions/impressions and acknowledge the limits of their knowledge and expertise.

A huge, huge part of the problem is arrogance ....possibly mixed in with a lack of critical thinking skills (although I don't see how you can become a doctor without good critical thinking skills, so maybe it's just that doctors get out of the habit of using them); Another part of it is stigma against the mentally ill and/or disabled (i.e. the patient is not seen as credible/competent to assess or report on their own mental and physical state because they are diagnosed with something that affects their mental processing in some way.)

Love transcends all.