Terrorist attack outside UK Parliament in London

Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 9:52 am

Latest: the other civilian dead has been identified as an American tourist, visiting with his wife. His wife is among those injured and hospitalized. They were on an anniversary trip and were due to return to the US today.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 9:54 am

Jacoby wrote:
I would think the fact that the guy wasn't a mastermind makes it even more scarier since how can prevent an attack like this?

Sadly you can't, if an individual wants to commit a crime badly enough then they will find a way. I do feel like our authorities here have a good enough grip on tackling the big stuff though.

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Mar 2017, 1:49 pm

As someone who lives very close to where this attack happened, I am deeply saddened and disgusted with what happened yesterday. I have friends and close family who work in the Westminster area and luckily, none of them were caught up in this incident. The main thing that me and my fellow Londoners must do is to mourn those we have lost and carry on with our lives. We will not allow the fear of terrorism to rule our lives.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 3:56 pm

London attack: Khalid Masood identified as killer

The man believed to have carried out the terror attack in Westminster has been named by police as Khalid Masood.

Kent-born Masood, who was shot dead by police, had not been the subject of any current police investigations, but had a range of previous convictions.

The 52-year-old was believed to have been living in the West Midlands.

The so-called Islamic State group has said it was behind the attack, in which PC Keith Palmer, Aysha Frade and US tourist Kurt Cochran were killed.

Three women and five men were arrested in London and Birmingham on suspicion of preparation of terrorist acts following Wednesday's attack.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39372154

There Are Four Lights!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 4:11 pm

Has anyone found out yet why this happened?

Instead of bombing this time, it's with doing Simpsons Road Rage, hitting people with your car and then crashing it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 4:28 pm

In a small twist of irony this nutter's car was registered to Chelmsford, right in my area and perhaps best noted for it's maniac drivers - is it something in the water?
My heart goes out to the victims, just ordinary people going about their lives.

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 7:03 pm

crystaltermination wrote:
In a small twist of irony this nutter's car was registered to Chelmsford, right in my area and perhaps best noted for it's maniac drivers - is it something in the water?

That was essex lives shite reporting. I've heard it was rented from Solihull in birmingham.

(I'm a Chelmsfordian in birmingham so it's not great either way)

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 7:17 pm

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 7:18 pm

Alliekit wrote:
crystaltermination wrote:

That was essex lives shite reporting. I've heard it was rented from Solihull in birmingham.

(I'm a Chelmsfordian in birmingham so it's not great either way)

Ah, figures.

DevilInPgh
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Mar 2017, 8:32 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Has anyone found out yet why this happened?

Oh, that's easy. It's because the international press glorified the #carintifada and #knifeintifada. Apparently, it isn't as glorious when it happens to you, huh? This event only reinforces the old adage: what starts with the Jews never ends with the Jews.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 8:51 pm

ISIS SUPPORTERS CELEBRATE LONDON PARLIAMENT ATTACK ON ISLAMIC STATE SOCIAL MEDIA CHANNELS

Although no group had yet claimed responsibility for a Wednesday attack near London’s Parliament which left four people, including the attacker, dead, the incident was immediately cheered online by supporters of the Islamic State.

The attacker ran down several pedestrians as he drove a Hyundai i40 across Westminster Bridge before crashing into the railing outside the Palace of Westminster. After getting out of the vehicle, he ran through the gates toward Parliament, fatally stabbing one police officer before being stopped from attacking another when he was shot and killed by police....

ISIS-linked social media channels posted live updates of the attack, in a similar vein to their activity following previous terrorist attacks in Paris, Nice and Orlando, according to New York Times reporter Rukmini Callmachi, an expert on ISIS. Responsibility for those three attacks was later claimed by ISIS.

Rukmini Callimachi ✔ @rcallimachi
2. Pro-ISIS channels are rejoicing at the bloodshed including one that has created a poster to go with the violence. (Thanks @sweattloafer)

Rukmini Callimachi ✔ @rcallimachi
3. Numerous ISIS-linked channels are sharing blow-by-blow updates on events in London. We saw this post-Paris, post-Nice, post-Orlando etc.

http://www.newsweek.com/isis-uk-london- ... ack-572415

There Are Four Lights!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 2:16 am

DevilInPgh wrote:
Lunella wrote:
I've been watching this unfold since it happened as I was already watching the news. It was just one idiot guy but he managed to kill a couple of people.

It may be "one idiot guy", but his MO matches jihadist tactics. Add in the description of the perp as "Asian" (that's a euphemism in the UK), and I think we all know where this is heading.

There was an embargo on releasing the name of the person/background until recently due to the usual jumping to conclusions that goes on. He is a muslim convert and his birth name was Adrian Elms from Kent. He was described by his neighbors as a nice guy from a normal family and young children and a good samaritan to his neighbors whenever they needed help. He worked as an English teacher. Elms converted to islam when sent to prison and was radicalised in a local mosque where subsequently 7 other people have been arrested.

He is not South Asian...I guess the local journalists have similar problems to our local thugs in Cronulla when rioters couldn't distinguish between arabs, Africans or Indians when they were looking for somebody to beat up uring the infamous Cronulla riots back in 2005.

Last edited by cyberdad on 24 Mar 2017, 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 2:18 am

The usual scapegoating going on where innocent muslim and Asian passers by are criticised for not stopping to help the injured.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-23/l ... im/8379874

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 2:28 am

And to make matters worse trolls in the UK have blamed Katie Price's autistic son for the terrorist attack
http://honey.nine.com.au/2017/03/24/16/ ... tack-tweet

No shortage of evil people, and they aren't muslim

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 2:32 am

cyberdad wrote:
The usual scapegoating going on where innocent muslim and Asian passers by are criticised for not stopping to help the injured.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-23/l ... im/8379874

I wonder how many people would actually stop to look at the victim or help them? Plus it looked like he was already getting help. Yes other people walked by and not stopping either and no one batted an eye. I am glad other people stood up for her when she was being singled out and pathologized.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 2:34 am

cyberdad wrote:
And to make matters worse trolls in the UK have blamed Katie Price's autistic son for the terrorist attack
http://honey.nine.com.au/2017/03/24/16/ ... tack-tweet

No shortage of evil people, and they aren't muslim

That sounded like a conspiracy they made up. Like the terrorists planned it because her son was having a meltdown so they decided to take it out on innocent people with real life Simpsons Road Rage.