I don't know how to look professional

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 3:36 pm

I never had a job and I'm afraid I won't ever able to get one? I think nobody could ever hire me, I don't look like people who I see working on places.

Also, I study architecture so I must have a portfolio and I can't make mine look professional. I make everything much colorful, that's also the issue with my looks

Mr_Miner
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Mar 2017, 9:50 pm

What do you mean by "professional"?

Because if you have a college degree, shower before the interview, and are free of visible tattoos I don't see how you would not look fine It's when one of those 3 things is lacking that employment is harder.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 12:54 am

it also doesnt help when you look similar to a serial rapist that is known to roam the streets at night, have crooked teeth, broken hair, bloodshot eyes, a dead straight face with a zombified look - yes im talking about yours truly.

alpacka
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Mar 2017, 4:19 am

What I can see, you are only 23 years old. I don´t think it´s impossible for you to succeed no matter how you are looking. How does this people looking you are refering to? And how´s the look on you that´s so different?

Your portfolio maybe need some common thread so the people can see that this is YOURS.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 10:37 pm

ltcvnzl wrote:
I never had a job and I'm afraid I won't ever able to get one? I think nobody could ever hire me, I don't look like people who I see working on places.

Also, I study architecture so I must have a portfolio and I can't make mine look professional. I make everything much colorful, that's also the issue with my looks

You might want to consider hiring an image consultant. There design consultants who can help you with your portfolio.

BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2017, 8:47 pm

Google "architecture portfolio examples" to give you an idea of what your portfolio should look like.

As for looking professional for an interview, I would ask the company what their acceptable dress attire is for an interview. I was almost always overdressed for an interview because I would wear business attire even if I was interviewing at a gas station. Apparently that's no longer acceptable. And since I don't know what IS acceptable, I just started asking.

I always assumed you should be dressed in business attire no matter what you were interviewing for, and that used to be true but it's not true now. That's unacceptable and considered rude on say, a construction site. Then again, I've seen people walk into a mass retailer for an interview dressed in baggy jeans and a graphic tee with a backwards ball cap on, and they got the job.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2017, 9:03 pm

I kind of know how I should look, I just don't know how it would apply to me?? For example my hair is very messy and tangled, I know it shouldn't be like this if I'm in a more formal environment, but if I brush my hair I still think I don't look like a professional person (also I have bangs so maybe it doesn't help, but I have them for all my life I can't get rid of them :( ). Also I have very deep eyes and dark eye circles and very sensitive eyes that are often itching and red, it always make me look tired. I dress very colorfully, so I start dressing in black but I still felt I didn't look very adult, maybe it's just my perception?

I went to an internship interview (it was actually at the university, so there wasn't much a formality and I knew the interviewer). I felt really weird, but I didn't went too bad (although I didn't got the position, but they release some kind of grades of the process and I was in 3rd place).

I had just one work experience, it was as a volunteer, and I had an uniform and it was a sports related place so it wasn't very formal and it seems that people liked me because they gave me cooler tasks, but it was long time ago.

Basically, I don't know what is true or what is excessive insecurity.

About the portfolio, it's a bit the same thing. I know more or less how it should like, but when I start doing it, it often looks very different from what it should like. Also, I hate some stuff who seem to be more professional, like photo-realistic rendering... I prefer much more to do collages or illustrations and I think it gives a less-professional look.

Nickchick
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Apr 2017, 1:40 pm

BrokenPieces wrote:

I always assumed you should be dressed in business attire no matter what you were interviewing for, and that used to be true but it's not true now. That's unacceptable and considered rude on say, a construction site. Then again, I've seen people walk into a mass retailer for an interview dressed in baggy jeans and a graphic tee with a backwards ball cap on, and they got the job.

Yeah I know and I see clerks with colored hair in retail stores and I wonder if they had it during interviews or was able to wash it out.
I often wonder what to do because I was told that it's best to look business casual so I always wear what coaches point out for me to wear. Though the blouse is my color and the shoes aren't entirely not me, I still feel fake and I don't ever get a job. I'm starting to think why do I bother because it seems people who dress totally casual get the job.
It's difficult to assess because I'm afraid if I dress the way I always dress they will think I'm not taking it seriously but then on the other hand if I dress business-like it seems I am trying too hard. There is no balance to achieve anymore. I know that because I tried to dress in my more formal clothes that are more me but I still didn't get hired.
Of course it may have had nothing to do with my clothes because of how bad I am at interviews but how am I to know? Also the thing is I always try my best in interviews and I feel like if they judge me on the way I articulate then it's not far fetched to think they are judging me on what I'm wearing.
I don't understand why we should have to dress up though really. It's not like I'm going to interviews showing my tits or anything. I don't even wear ripped jeans in the knee because I don't understand that fad so my regular clothes aren't noticeably unkempt.

Johs98
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Apr 2017, 3:06 pm

Scorpius14 wrote:
it also doesnt help when you look similar to a serial rapist that is known to roam the streets at night, have crooked teeth, broken hair, bloodshot eyes, a dead straight face with a zombified look - yes im talking about yours truly.

I know exactly how you feel there, i even look like a serial killer in my driving licence photo.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2017, 9:08 pm

Quote:
have crooked teeth,

Braces, invisalign, or veneers could fix that.

Quote:
broken hair,

Get a haircut. Get a buzzcut if necessary. Think military cuts, and make sure you're freshly shaven.

Quote:
bloodshot eyes,

Eyedrops and clean living (including proper rest).

Quote:
a dead straight face with a zombified look - yes im talking about yours truly.

Well, that's every autistic ever, unless they're acting. Acting lessons for the interview?
Consider wearing friendly colors as well- not just black or gray or white, which can look harsh. Warmer colors and maybe even pastels.

alpacka
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Apr 2017, 3:50 am

ltcvnzl wrote:
I kind of know how I should look, I just don't know how it would apply to me?? For example my hair is very messy and tangled, I know it shouldn't be like this if I'm in a more formal environment, but if I brush my hair I still think I don't look like a professional person (also I have bangs so maybe it doesn't help, but I have them for all my life I can't get rid of them :( ). Also I have very deep eyes and dark eye circles and very sensitive eyes that are often itching and red, it always make me look tired. I dress very colorfully, so I start dressing in black but I still felt I didn't look very adult, maybe it's just my perception?

The problems you telling is something that can be fixed.

What kind of schampoo and conditioner are you using? (cheap ones or more expensive done for your hairtype?)
Do you put hairoil in after you cleansed your hair? This could be a massive change if you use the proper ones.
There is tones of different products you can use for your sensitive skin to calm it down, face oil with natural ingredienses could be one of them, like this:

https://se.iherb.com/pr/bio-oil-special ... l-oz/40999

Finish with a BB-Cream that are just for sensivite skin to hide dark circles and more:

http://www.tinytouchups.com/wp-content/ ... 3/03/8.jpg

I would like to say that "looks doesn´t matter" but it sure does, people judge you in 1 sec, same for everyone. It´s tough out there. Hope this can help you.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2017, 1:56 pm

Just saw that you were female. That actually does change my advice a bit. Mostly for the hair. As a woman, if your hair is really that problematic, the easy answer is to get it professionally styled at a salon or a salon school prior to the interview. You may consider getting your makeup done there as well, just make sure they know your purpose. If you think they're still likely to try something unsuitable, let them know you want to look your best but like you aren't wearing makeup at all. As for nails, short, clean nails are professional, and pinks and colors that match your skin tone are professional. Designs and unusual colors may not suit many work environments.

As for ornamentation- less is more. A single necklace and/or a class ring is sufficient. Just don't wear a wedding or engagement ring if you have one. Make sure you wear a watch. It shows you're time conscious.

My apologies for having mistaken your gender. I didn't look, and on here I generally figure I'm dealing with guys.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2017, 2:25 pm

BetwixtBetween wrote:
Just saw that you were female. That actually does change my advice a bit. Mostly for the hair. As a woman, if your hair is really that problematic, the easy answer is to get it professionally styled at a salon or a salon school prior to the interview. You may consider getting your makeup done there as well, just make sure they know your purpose. If you think they're still likely to try something unsuitable, let them know you want to look your best but like you aren't wearing makeup at all. As for nails, short, clean nails are professional, and pinks and colors that match your skin tone are professional. Designs and unusual colors may not suit many work environments.

As for ornamentation- less is more. A single necklace and/or a class ring is sufficient. Just don't wear a wedding or engagement ring if you have one. Make sure you wear a watch. It shows you're time conscious.

My apologies for having mistaken your gender. I didn't look, and on here I generally figure I'm dealing with guys.

that other person you quoted wasn't me, it was a guy I guess

my hair is easy to deal with – I just need to comb it and use conditioner, but I just don't like this way – I can do it for an interview, but I wouldn't like to do it for everyday.

I just wish people didn't care by the way we look

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2017, 3:24 pm

Well, then, my advice to him stands.

It would be nice if we were judged solely on output, but alas that is not at all the case.