Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 1:12 am

Oversimplfying things, The British Invasion took American 1950's rock and roll Britishized it and sold it back to America. Americans influenced the British beat music and playing in thier basements and garages as the story goes Americanized it and produced a raw pure rock sound and lyrics about teen frustration. For a year or two around 1966 these acts regularly charted but were quickly pushed aside by political and psychedelic acts only to be rediscoved by punk rock acts a decade later.

The garage acts that charted nationally were uniformly male. "Womens Liberation" was still a few years away, Riot Grrrl was over 25 years in the future, a women's place was still in the kitchen. The public was not ready for "girl" musicians doing anything but singing. At best the female acts had some local success then were quickly forgotten. This thread is meant as a tribute because they rocked.

The What Four - I'm Going to Destroy That Boy

She - Bad Girl

The Luv'd Ones - Up Down Sue

This sister act is probably the most remembered because one of it's members Suzi Quatro invented/popularized the leather clad "rock chick" look.
The Pleasure Seekers - What a Way To Die

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 7:34 pm

The Debutantes - A New Love Today

Continental Co-ets - I Don't Love You No More

THE DAUGHTERS OF EVE - He Cried

The Liverbirds - Peanut Butter

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2017, 7:46 pm

It's not 60's, but The Brood was one of our local 60's Revival Garage Punk bands from the 80's and the 90's.

This one's from their album
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5f2hc-voPs

This one's from a compilation/Single
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQjZR_VaTSc

Live show from a tour they did in 1990.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP9dPimtL0g&t=124s

They did a Europen tour in early 1993 where they were playing to crowds of 10,000 and larger in some venues. Their Manager was the guy who recorded The Lyres 'Live at The Downtown Lounge' album that came out a few years ago.

FWIW, New England as a whole was really into the 60's Garage Punk during the 1980's.

DericWM
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Apr 2017, 6:36 pm

Here's another kick ass garage rock band of the 1960s: