Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2017, 7:31 am

Have any of you ever moved to different city or country? I've always been scared to do that because I wouldn't want to lose my friends and it would take me ages to make new friends. Have any of you ever had to get into a new social clique after moving?

Hell even moving to the other side of town has isolated me a bit. Most of my friends live in my old neighborhood down south and now I'm living on the northern side of town. Maybe I should join a club or something.

A colleague from work suggested I join the Rotary Club but I'm not sure what that is. My father suggested I join the golf club. It's an interesting sport but I'm not sure I'd fit in.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

25 Mar 2017, 4:04 am

I moved 1ce & I moved from Louisiana to Vermont to be with my girlfriend. I only really had one friend in Louisiana & he's my former supervisor. I haven't made any friends sense I moved here over 4 years ago but I haven't tried. I'm a loner & keep to myself. For the most part I'm happy spending alot of time with my girlfriend thou there are times I wouldn't mind having a friend but I don't really know how to go about making one. I'm not working so I'd have to join a club/group or become friends with someone online who lives around here. I never really been a joiner unless I tag along with someone & I don't use any social media & only use this forum.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 5:17 am

Was it hard to find a job in Vermont?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 3:02 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
I haven't looked sense I moved. I'm on Social Security Disability. I had alot of adjusting to do before I felt like I was ready & I feel like I'm ready now but my girlfriend likes having me around. I'm classified as her live-in-aid for her Section8 & She thinks there's a way where I might could get paid to be her support worker(through another organization than Section8) so she's going to look into that. I might would have an easier time trying to get a job here because it's a city & there's more programs in place to help with employment but I'm just guessing.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 6:47 pm

nick007 wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
I haven't looked sense I moved. I'm on Social Security Disability. I had alot of adjusting to do before I felt like I was ready & I feel like I'm ready now but my girlfriend likes having me around. I'm classified as her live-in-aid for her Section8 & She thinks there's a way where I might could get paid to be her support worker(through another organization than Section8) so she's going to look into that. I might would have an easier time trying to get a job here because it's a city & there's more programs in place to help with employment but I'm just guessing.

I thought you were working at Walmart?

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 6:48 pm

I moved to a different city in the early 90s.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 7:27 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:
nick007 wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

I thought you were working at Walmart?
I worked there for over two years but I quit at the beginning of 2008 I think.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 7:35 pm

I moved to different cities several times and to a different country once, I never was afraid of losing friends because I never had them anyway (maybe this constant moving helped it because it started since I was little).

The only way I know how to engage in social life is thru school but even on this I'm a bit of failure.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 8:07 pm

ltcvnzl wrote:
I moved to different cities several times and to a different country once, I never was afraid of losing friends because I never had them anyway (maybe this constant moving helped it because it started since I was little).

The only way I know how to engage in social life is thru school but even on this I'm a bit of failure.
Which country did you move to?

Which country did you move from?

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 8:15 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
ltcvnzl wrote:

I moved to Hungary, I'm originally from Brazil (which I came back already). I really wish to live in more different countries, it feels very liberating to be weird in a place people expect you to be weird because you're a foreigner.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 9:53 pm

ltcvnzl wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
ltcvnzl wrote:

I moved to Hungary, I'm originally from Brazil (which I came back already). I really wish to live in more different countries, it feels very liberating to be weird in a place people expect you to be weird because you're a foreigner.
Was it hard to learn Hungarian?

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 9:58 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
ltcvnzl wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
ltcvnzl wrote:

Was it hard to learn Hungarian?

I learned just the very basic, just rely on english for daily life. It's a very hard language and I'm not very gifted with language learning anyway :D

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 10:10 pm

Yes, for college, I moved 500 miles away. In college, lived in 6 different apartments. Quite frankly, I did not get into any cliques before or after moving. On the other hand, that could be an advantage, in that no friends to lose. :evil:

You can't be "sure" you'd fit in w/out going. Besides, not all golf clubs are the same. Same with any club. Besides, sometimes, you fit in for a while, then someone spreads a rumor about you, and you no longer fit in. Likewise, sometimes, in a group, some people will ignore you, some people will avoid you, and some will approach you. Big deal. If the group is large enough, that is bound to happen.

The previous LCSW told me that it was good to get social interaction by joining activities. But gangs are activities. Not all sources of social interaction are good, at all times, in all ways.

Having said that, Emily Dickinson and JD Salinger and Sylvia Plath allegedly managed to lead incredibly reclusive lives, but they were successful at poetry and novel writing.

So maybe society overvalues social interaction.