Railroad crossings with no signals, just a crossbuck.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

TimmyTurnerFan1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Nov 2019, 6:19 am

I highly agree with you on that!

The ones I especially found dangerous was the one where the crossing sign is hidden by vegetation, they need to clear that. And there's only one crossbuck at that crossing although that and some of the other crossings are Private Railroad Crossings.

The other one I found to be dangerous was the two-track crossing in Florida. A crossing with two tracks should have gates, or at least signals, especially if a barreling train is hiding next to a stopped train or if a second train is coming!

I'm not sure if some of the other crossings are still in use or are dormant or defunct.

You think U.S. crossings are bad, Mexico's railroad crossings are even worse! Many many of them just have passive signs, even on high traffic streets! Very very few of them have lights or lights and gates, and even those that do have signals get vandalized! But signalised and especially gated crossings are very hard to find in Mexico (there are a couple gated crossings in Cuidad de Juarez in Chihuahua, Mexico and a few around Mexico City.) Mexico's crossing signals and gates are like the ones used in the U.S. but they don't use rear-facing flashing lights and the lights look more like traffic signal beacons, but still have round backgrounds!

These are the two in Juarez, Chihuahua, Mexico:
This one is on Blvrd Zaragoza www.google.com/maps/@31.660177

This one is on Calle Cordillera de Los Andes www.google.com/maps/@31.676333

Have fun looking for other crossings like these in Mexico! If you find them, save them. Favorite/Bookmark it or screenshot it and save it to your hard drive, and write down the street it's on and city it's in or near so you can more easily refer back to it!

Wanted to reply since no one else did and because I'm a railfan myself!