Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

antnego
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Mar 2017, 5:24 pm

I've read that "aspies" often don't have a "sense of humor," but I have trouble believing that assertion.

Humor is one of my primary coping mechanisms. I use it to not take myself too seriously. I try to see the fun, light, humorous side of life situations so I don't drive myself into depression. My humor can be deadpan, dry, dark or filthy, depending on the context. I love comedians/entertainers who push boundaries, like Louis CK or Seth MacFarlane. I also love the Big Lebowski (and Cohen brothers movies in general). I'm a fan of Idiocracy.

Does anybody else share this type of humor? How do you use humor in your life?

My neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 82 of 200

I am very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 5:47 pm

I love humour. I didn't used to get many jokes as a kid but learned to. However, I still have problems understanding them if they're too subtle.

Yes, dark humour is very much a favourite of mine. I know better than to tell those jokes in polite company though.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 6:07 pm

Humour is my way of coping too.
Especially self deprecating humour, seeing humour in very dire situations or the teasing of others.
I also like plain silliness and naughtiness.
My humour doesn't always relate well here.
People sometimes think I'm being really down on myself or mocking other people.

antnego
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Mar 2017, 6:08 pm

EclecticWarrior wrote:
I know better than to tell those jokes in polite company though.

Social restraints can tire me out. Fortunately, my closest friends have no limits in the tastelessness of their humor :P

antnego
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Mar 2017, 6:12 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Humour is my way of coping too.
Especially self deprecating humour, seeing humour in very dire situations or the teasing of others.
I also like plain silliness and naughtiness.
My humour doesn't always relate well here.
People sometimes think I'm being really down on myself or mocking other people.

I keep forgetting that the subtleties of irony, deadpan self-deprecation or sarcasm don't register with some people, but that's my own unique sense of empathy at work :?

I learned humor via observing others and figuring out their social code. Like a social chameleon :)

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 6:14 pm

antnego wrote:
I've read that "aspies" often don't have a "sense of humor," but I have trouble believing that assertion.

I thought the stereotype was that aspies do have a sense of humor, but it's often misunderstood by others (due to unusual style, esoteric references and/or dry delivery).

antnego
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Mar 2017, 6:19 pm

Exuvian wrote:
antnego wrote:
esoteric references

I get that part. I've made "jokes" I thought were funny, but fell flat... no one got them, because they were so abstractly related to the topic at hand (or completely tangential due to not paying close attention to the discussion).

I can usually recover by making the "bwah bwah" trumpet noise in a self-mocking fashion. But you gotta let the awkward pause in the room linger a bit for dramatic effect.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 6:46 pm

antnego wrote:
Exuvian wrote:
antnego wrote:
esoteric references

I get that part. I've made "jokes" I thought were funny, but fell flat... no one got them, because they were so abstractly related to the topic at hand (or completely tangential due to not paying close attention to the discussion).

I can usually recover by making the "bwah bwah" trumpet noise in a self-mocking fashion. But you gotta let the awkward pause in the room linger a bit for dramatic effect.

...and the quiet satisfaction of a truly "inside" joke need not be depreciated either. :)