Do you think high functioning autistics/Aspies have ....

Page 3 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Do HAs/Aspies have privilege?
Yes 17%  17%  [ 8 ]
No 60%  60%  [ 29 ]
I don't know 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
Maybe 17%  17%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 48

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 11:45 am

iliketrees wrote:
They're merging (and have already merged in the US and a few other countries) HFA and AS into one diagnosis, just how long are people on this site going to cling to this idea that they're separate things? f*****g hell.

Quote:
For example, once I was in a class that had a classic HFA kid in it (she told us). I found that the teacher was more tolerant of her while I (the undiagnosed Asperger's kid) got yelled at more often for messing up. Well, I did mess up more often anyway. I was the one with WORSE executive function, but she got help while I got none.

That's diagnosed vs undiagnosed.

Point is, HFA is/was more likely to be diagnosed, and therefore HFAs are more likely to get help than Asperger's.

I was rather rushed when I wrote that post, so sorry for not being clear.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 11:49 am

248RPA wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
They're merging (and have already merged in the US and a few other countries) HFA and AS into one diagnosis, just how long are people on this site going to cling to this idea that they're separate things? f*****g hell.

Quote:
For example, once I was in a class that had a classic HFA kid in it (she told us). I found that the teacher was more tolerant of her while I (the undiagnosed Asperger's kid) got yelled at more often for messing up. Well, I did mess up more often anyway. I was the one with WORSE executive function, but she got help while I got none.

Point is, HFA is/was more likely to be diagnosed, and therefore HFAs are more likely to get help than Asperger's.

HFA and Asperger's are the same thing.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 11:56 am

iliketrees wrote:
248RPA wrote:
iliketrees wrote:

Quote:

As you know, before DSM 5 they classified as seperate, mainly because of the speech delay. And that common people also thought AS was higher functioning because of the DSM seperation (at least in my experience). So if you didn't have the speech delay, you were at a disadvantage for getting help. In my case, I was having worse executive functioning than the HFA kid, but still no one suggested that I get tested or anything.

But I was just telling an anecdote. AS vs HFA isn't the point of this thread.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 12:21 pm

248RPA wrote:
As you know, before DSM 5 they classified as seperate

They did, yes. It was a mistake which they've realised and fixed. People on WP, who are up to date and completely aware of this, still cling onto this misconception from the 90s. I don't get it.

Quote:
AS vs HFA isn't the point of this thread.

And yet it will keep coming up every time people put a slash because people still want to separate them.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 12:38 pm

248RPA wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
248RPA wrote:
iliketrees wrote:

Quote:

As you know, before DSM 5 they classified as seperate, mainly because of the speech delay. And that common people also thought AS was higher functioning because of the DSM seperation (at least in my experience). So if you didn't have the speech delay, you were at a disadvantage for getting help. In my case, I was having worse executive functioning than the HFA kid, but still no one suggested that I get tested or anything.

But I was just telling an anecdote. AS vs HFA isn't the point of this thread.

Also it said in the AS criteria there was no delay in self help skills or any other developmental delay other than social. So that meant those who were diagnosed with AS but had troubles with executive functioning didn't still get the help they needed to the degree they needed. So the merging thing is to help aspies get the help they needed because they discovered aspies have the same symptoms as those who do with classic autism and have all the same symptoms as they do.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 1:08 pm

I had to go through all kinds of hell and back just to get diagnosed and then even after that trying to live a normal life was like one huge fight. Most people my age have completed and graduated from high school, have been to college, and have cars and real jobs. I don't. I'm lucky to even have my own apartment. I actually have fewer privileges than most people, I'm a 12-year-old trapped in a woman's body and I feel really, really stupid.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 2:10 pm

iliketrees wrote:
248RPA wrote:

They did, yes. It was a mistake which they've realised and fixed. People on WP, who are up to date and completely aware of this, still cling onto this misconception from the 90s. I don't get it.

Quote:

And yet it will keep coming up every time people put a slash because people still want to separate them.

I don't support the seperation. But the DSM makers did. It affected the lives of a lot of us. But now it's fixed, and hopefully it won't be seperated again.

I don't know if you're implying that I want to seperate them. I'm not accusing you of anything, I'm just unsure. I've been really rushed today, and maybe it is affecting communication.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 3:39 pm

248RPA wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
248RPA wrote:

Quote:

I don't support the seperation. But the DSM makers did. It affected the lives of a lot of us. But now it's fixed, and hopefully it won't be seperated again.

I don't know if you're implying that I want to seperate them. I'm not accusing you of anything, I'm just unsure. I've been really rushed today, and maybe it is affecting communication.

Why make the distinction in your post?

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

29 Mar 2017, 3:42 pm

**** no, it's been more of a curse. To be 'lower functioning' and I guess less aware of your own condition. Just trying to 'blend in' is emblematic of the pain and constant ostracization, I think someone higher functioning will experience more discrimination in their day to day life than someone universally recognized as disabled.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 4:08 pm

Not afraid of people or situations, clear memory, keen senses.

Inattentive people think you're a ninja, or doing something extremely profound, for solving basic logic problems, with few moving pieces.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 4:18 pm

iliketrees wrote:
248RPA wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
248RPA wrote:

Quote:

Why make the distinction in your post?

Because BeggingTurtle said
BeggingTurtle wrote:
From my experience, it has been much easier for me to receive help or aid than it is for the Aspies I know. So in some ways, I am more privileged than them.

BeggingTurtle has "other autism spectrum disorder" in his profile, and I remember that he said he spoke quite late, so I conclude he is a classic autistic according to DSM 4. (Either that or pdd-nos) And that he's saying it was easier (in his experience) for him, a classic autistic, to recieve help than the Aspies he knows. He made a distinction right there. So I told a story from my life that corraborated his life experiences.

Whether I liked it or not, the seperation in the DSM was there, but now it's fixed.

Last edited by 248RPA on 29 Mar 2017, 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 4:26 pm

People, in their shell, are not saying what they want, with a loud and clear voice.