Humanism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other religions, please specify:) 9%  9%  [ 5 ]
Other no religion, please specify:) 11%  11%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 53

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 9:47 pm

Practicing kabbalist, student of Rosicrucian philosophy, and alchemical dabbler - none of which is properly a 'religion'. Still not sure if I'm pantheist, panentheist, deist, or atheist in the broader scheme though or in the end math whether any of those labels would properly level with truth. Perhaps on that level I might say non-physicalist agnostic with sympathy for thinkers like Spinoza, Bertrand Russell, etc..

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 11:02 pm

I'm a Jain and an atheist.

Jainism is unique amongst other religions in that there is no Creator God. We believe the universe has always been, and will always be, existing.

Jains follow the teachings of Mahavir, so in essence, Jainism is probably closer to a belief system than a religion. What makes it resemble typical religions is there are festivals, idols, services, temples, etc.

trazomdnanipohc
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Mar 2020, 9:41 pm

I grew up in a secular household, later developed agnostic-atheist beliefs, then it later manifested into spiritual beliefs after a few instances of me literally losing my mind for no reason, encountering an actual ~7 foot tall shadow figure (was at my uncle's house, he lives across from an Anglican church, and next to a graveyard), and from many accounts of people at psych wards that I've been to. What I do believe, is that spiritualism unites all beliefs into one.

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2020, 10:02 pm

I am a Spinoza atheist, rejecting any attempt by people to define a god. I do have spiritual beliefs though and believe that all life is connected. I grew up in a dysfunctional Unitarian family :roll:.

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2020, 11:52 pm

Atheist. My parents didn't make religion a huge priority in raising me, so I don't officially follow one.

My opinion towards most religions tends to be neutral, but it becomes more polarized for Christianity. I'm a mix of in favor of it and against it, but not really neutral.

Callafiriel
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Mar 2020, 3:48 am

I was babtised into the Catholic faith and was forced to go through Confirmation at age 11. By that time, however, I already didn't believe any more but my parents made me go through with it because, "What will people say if you don't???" Both my parents weren't really religious either, but my mom was very much concerned with appearances.

I love mythologies though and I tried being a solitary Wicca for a while but found out soon that believing in a divine being just wasn't for me. Too many contradictions.

Now I'm an atheist.

BlueOysterCultist
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Mar 2020, 12:08 pm

HelloWorld314 wrote:
Come on people, let's produce Asperger's religion statistics ourselves. I am really curious, and I think you are too!

I believe in gods, but I also believe that all gods are demons, and thus inimical to humanity.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2020, 1:13 pm

BlueOysterCultist wrote:
I believe in gods, but I also believe that all gods are demons, and thus inimical to humanity.

I sometimes get a sense that a lot of this is like a panpsychism-based episode of Black Mirror or where you can't tell whether you're dealing with an egregore, a macro-entity within the human race (think ant colony as one organism, deities perhaps something similar but more condensed and self aware than an egregore), and you never know when it could perhaps be nihilistic or degenerate hackers from some point in the future intruding/jacking with people's lives for entertainment when they aren't edging in a corner somewhere.

I've often heard it suggested that a lot of these entities are at least mildly vampiric, ie. worship, attention, emotion, etc. is food and hence they do far more to provoke emotion all the while keeping us in the dark.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

BlueOysterCultist

30 Mar 2020, 1:32 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I've often heard it suggested that a lot of these entities are at least mildly vampiric, ie. worship, attention, emotion, etc. is food and hence they do far more to provoke emotion all the while keeping us in the dark.

I favor Charles Stross' take, which might be a bit tongue-in-cheek.

Quote:
I’m a believer. And like I said, I wish I was still an atheist. Believing I was born into a harsh, uncaring cosmos – in which my existence was a random roll of the dice and I was destined to die and rot and then be gone forever – was infinitely more comforting than the truth.

Because the truth is that my God is coming back.
When he arrives I’ll be waiting for him with a shotgun.
And I’m keeping the last shell for myself.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2020, 1:55 pm

BlueOysterCultist wrote:
Quote:
I’m a believer. And like I said, I wish I was still an atheist. Believing I was born into a harsh, uncaring cosmos – in which my existence was a random roll of the dice and I was destined to die and rot and then be gone forever – was infinitely more comforting than the truth.

Because the truth is that my God is coming back.
When he arrives I’ll be waiting for him with a shotgun.
And I’m keeping the last shell for myself.

Sharp.

I'm taking a quick intermission from Jason Reza Jiorjani's 'Prometheus and Atlas', I think he helps expand on the narrative side of what Donald Hoffman is saying in his 'The Case Against Reality', ie. that this is all a social network of conscious agents, Jason would apparently argue that there are two massive daemon's guiding technological progress (ie. the book title) and their influence is a crystalization/calcification of the known universe through measurement. Can't remember which scientist was getting covered with Matt on PBS (their Youtube science channel) but he brought up a guy who talked about 'Quantum Darwinism', ie. the idea that Shrodinger's Cat doesn't happen because entanglement creates vast causal networks - that seems to be perhaps a similar concept at play.

I don't really worry about 'God' because.... I'm pretty sure Spinoza was on top of it and said superorganism is probably going to hug bomb most of us when we die because that's how it brushes the dirt off of its own substance. What gets me is the realization that all of nature, likely 'as above so below' meaning the so-called nonphysical as well, is red-in-tooth-and-nail Darwinian natural selection (ie. back to Hoffman where conscious agents are fighting each other for resources and to make it into the next generation and any complex organism seeking truth will be destroyed by an organism of equal complexity who sees none of the truth and is only tunes to fitness payouts). Very much Thomas Hobbes's universe and it could quite likely be that no civilization ever makes it past being a stage 0 civilization precisely because power dynamics will always force either extinction or such hard resets that it's like starting over from scratch perhaps until one's star burns out or until the alphas of some civilization are brilliant enough to glass the whole planet thus snuffing out further evolution.