Well goodbye to the remaining natural lands of america.

Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 2:40 pm

Apparently trump has essentially just sold our national forests and wildlife refugees to coal companies. I'll just leave this here don't have much to say except it pisses me off and its BS.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

29 Mar 2017, 2:47 pm

You probably shouldn't get third hand news.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 3:02 pm

Jacoby wrote:
you should probably read up on the meaning of 'essentially' in the OP's context.

hopefully there's no water in the area that can be polluted by the mining.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 3:06 pm

Jacoby wrote:

You should probably pay attention to current events if you aren't aware of this issue.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 3:10 pm

Fugu wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
you should probably read up on the meaning of 'essentially' in the OP's context.

hopefully there's no water in the area that can be polluted by the mining.

Its not just one area, it seems like he wants to remove the protections for national forests and wildlife refuges in general all across the country that prevent oil drilling and coal mining on those lands. I hope this will be fought on the state level..I mean I understand it hasn't entirely gone through yet but that is one of the goals of trumps new anti-clean & renewable energy plan.

Also we should be moving away from coal and fossil fuels not increasing our dependence on them....

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 3:23 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

You should probably pay attention to current events if you aren't aware of this issue.

post article, any article

the wind is not talking to me

If you're talking about Trump killing Obama's 'Clean Power Plan' then you've probably gotten duped from the typical environmentalist histrionics, not something for the literal minded.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 3:34 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

post article, any article

the wind is not talking to me

If you're talking about Trump killing Obama's 'Clean Power Plan' then you've probably gotten duped from the typical environmentalist histrionics, not something for the literal minded.

I guess trumps own presidential site where it says he wants to open federal lands mean for preserving nature to shale oil fracking and coal companies isn't true either. The lefties must have hijacked his website and put that detail in right..... :roll:

I guess trump presidential website, bbc articles, alternate news articles, national news sources in this country ect are all lying and trump has no intention of stopping protections for national forests or wildlife refuges. I am not too happy he wants to eliminate the 'clean power plan either' so yes that is part of it as well..but does not negate the damage his plans for federal lands could do when it comes to nature preservation.

https://revolution.news/news/trump-national-parks-coal-mining/

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/03/28/presidential-executive-order-promoting-energy-independence-and-economi-1
Quote:
Sec. 6. Federal Land Coal Leasing Moratorium. The Secretary of the Interior shall take all steps necessary and appropriate to amend or withdraw Secretary's Order 3338 dated January 15, 2016 (Discretionary Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement (PEIS) to Modernize the Federal Coal Program), and to lift any and all moratoria on Federal land coal leasing activities related to Order 3338. The Secretary shall commence Federal coal leasing activities consistent with all applicable laws and regulations.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 3:57 pm

Also don't see how increasing jobs in coal and oil, at the expense of working towards the growing renewable energy industry and jobs people have in that field, is a solution to anything or a way to help increase prosperity for the citizens....environmental concerns aside. Seems more like he's pandering to big oil and coal, for profit not to help any of us citizens.

Yo El
Toucan
Toucan

29 Mar 2017, 4:38 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Also don't see how increasing jobs in coal and oil, at the expense of working towards the growing renewable energy industry and jobs people have in that field, is a solution to anything or a way to help increase prosperity for the citizens....environmental concerns aside. Seems more like he's pandering to big oil and coal, for profit not to help any of us citizens.
I think it might be a good solution for short-term. America has a lot of financial issues and unemployment. After America is more economical stable they can work on renewable energy sources, right now it's just to expensive.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 4:57 pm

Well lets just start by saying that the federal government owns way too much land especially out west they own like more than 80% of the land in this state. I would support the feds offloading their massive land holdings back to the states where they can make their own decisions on its uses. I think states should take sovereignty over their natural resources, I think this is an issue that is relevant both here in Arizona and in Colorado.

What it seems like you're referring to is the unfreezing of new coal leases which is a policy that was enacted by the Obama administration in 2016 as well as changes in coal lease rates on federal lands. Not as dramatic when you actually talk specifics, it won't change that much since there isn't a huge demand for new coal mining. Obama's 'Clean Power Plan' is just about emission standards for power plants or whatever in 2030, not a huge loss.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 5:07 pm

58% of my state is federal national forest. Then another big chunck is state forest and then there's the private property mostly owned by whearhouser. The Feds already allow companies to cut down the trees on large scale and mine some here.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 5:11 pm

Jacoby wrote:
What it seems like you're referring to is the unfreezing of new coal leases which is a policy that was enacted by the Obama administration in 2016 as well as changes in coal lease rates on federal lands. Not as dramatic when you actually talk specifics, it won't change that much since there isn't a huge demand for new coal mining. Obama's 'Clean Power Plan' is just about emission standards for power plants or whatever in 2030, not a huge loss.
yah, i guess it's fine that there'll be increased incidence of acid rain and pollution, and that it's also a huge uturn on the pledge to reduce emissions by 2025(not 2030). full speed into the abyss?

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 5:16 pm

Fugu wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
yah, i guess it's fine that there'll be increased incidence of acid rain and pollution, and that it's also a huge uturn on the pledge to reduce emissions by 2025(not 2030). full speed into the abyss?

Your giving Obama era regulations way too much credit and buying too much into the apocalyptic rhetoric on climate.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 5:36 pm

Yo El wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
I think it might be a good solution for short-term. America has a lot of financial issues and unemployment. After America is more economical stable they can work on renewable energy sources, right now it's just to expensive.

Economic stability wont do any good if we let the environment go to crap and let profit oriented coal and oil companies have free access to federal lands to frack and mine as much as they want.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 5:45 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Fugu wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

Your giving Obama era regulations way too much credit and buying too much into the apocalyptic rhetoric on climate.

Here we go again...

I do not believe there is going to be an apocalypse of any kind any time soon, I am not giving into any apocalyptic rhetoric. I don't think national forests and wildlife refuges are the appropriate place for fracking and strip mining, it will certainly damage the immediate environment and ecosystems and pose hazards to the wildlife there. I don't agree with it and think those lands should remain protected.

Don't see how it is apocalyptic rhetoric to criticize trumps environmental policy, or rather non-policy of basically pretending humans have no negative impact on the environment or climate when we pollute. Maybe he should just leave it up to states, and stay out of it altogether. I am sure most citizens of most states would prefer to keep their national forests clean and preserved...or at least I'd like to think that.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 5:49 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Fugu wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

no, i'm giving those regulations as much credit as is due, and i've read the science. you could do the same, but instead you choose to spout propaganda. full speed into the abyss is about the shape of it.